Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes
  1.    #21  
    Head on over to pivotce.com and search for Dev Highlight to see some (def not all) of the current webOS devs.
    Thanks! It's so nice to see WebOS still going forward. Hopefully soon I can start contributing; no way should this operating system die it needs the recognition it deserves, a big boost because it can easily compete in this market.

That's +1 coming back to WebOS and staying for the long haul

Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    one external pack will recharge a phone batt 4x. my friend uses one with her galaxy s4. but she has a purse with her to keep that brick on hand so its not that inconvenient for her.

but i carry a spare batt in my pocket always for a quick swap. well not that quick with the slow Pre2 bootup time. haha (that's another Pre3 perk, faster bootup.)

Demon in UK has been selling a while yes, his sales history is a great indicator for their value. ive heard they have a lot of them still. must have bought all of hp's UK supply when they were discontinued. i may get another some day just to have one.
    Thanks nice to hear some experience with them! I don't mind having a power pack in my pocket; probably get funny looks from people thinking it's some sort of lipstick however

Pre 3's bootup time is faster? Wow that's definitely a welcome. I'll get it what the heck

I'm really surprised how much Pre 3s are left then if that seller is still selling loads. Seems a bit strange to me as that seller/company seems to have more Pre 3 supplies than any other. Least I know who to go to in future. Selling them a bit pricey though for Buy It Now

Next step is to trade my current in
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Long3 View Post
    Thanks! It's so nice to see WebOS still going forward. Hopefully soon I can start contributing; no way should this operating system die it needs the recognition it deserves, a big boost because it can easily compete in this market.

That's +1 coming back to WebOS and staying for the long haul

Thanks nice to hear some experience with them! I don't mind having a power pack in my pocket; probably get funny looks from people thinking it's some sort of lipstick however

Pre 3's bootup time is faster? Wow that's definitely a welcome. I'll get it what the heck

I'm really surprised how much Pre 3s are left then if that seller is still selling loads. Seems a bit strange to me as that seller/company seems to have more Pre 3 supplies than any other. Least I know who to go to in future. Selling them a bit pricey though for Buy It Now

Next step is to trade my current in
    im assuming Demon bought a huge lot when the OEM distributor wanted to get out from under them when HP pulled the plug. he may have got what, 500 - 1000 units? well that would take a while as he is getting a good price still. but he is setting the demand by controlling the supply right?

when buying an external power pack, just compare the mAh rating to the phone batt, which is like 1200 or near that (guessing) so a 3600 mAh pack would give 3 full charges. my friend's is over 4500. it is big as my Pre2. but of course she can share and charge anything. its nice.
    Michael Long3 likes this.
    You mentioned there aren't digitizers for the Pre3 above. I've been watching this for a couple months now. http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=290927374647
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Well, I just got my Pre3, after a good 2+ years with my Pre2 (and a original Pre before that).

I've already made a thread with my feedback about the Pre3 and my impressions of it, within the first 24-48 hours.
    http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-pre...3-its-way.html

And honestly, I can't really say which "truly" wins...

The Pre2, more stable, smaller so easier to fit in pocket... 16GB. Back cover, not too hard to remove.

The Pre3, larger screen, the camera is a huge improvement, front camera, Apps are a shot in the dark if they'll work or not, 4G, duel WIFI Ghz capacity, 8Gb model appears to be more common. Larger keyboard. Touch to share with Touchpad (if you use it). Back cover is a challenge to remove.

Both are sleek, solidly built (at least my Pre2 after 2 years is still as good as new). Both uses the Touchstone.

Speed wise, the Pre3 is quite faster, for some things, for example: a heavy game, the Pre3 will be in the start screen while the Pre2 will still be opening it. Other things, there's not enough of a difference to really matter, and some things, I find the Pre2 to be more responsive.

The Pre3 does open webpages and renders emails noticeably faster.

Both absolutely need Preware and many utilities installed to bring them up to "standards", such as things that should already be there, such as the flashlight in menu, etc.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    Well, I just got my Pre3, after a good 2+ years with my Pre2 (and a original Pre before that).

I've already made a thread with my feedback about the Pre3 and my impressions of it, within the first 24-48 hours.
    [url]

The Pre2, more stable, smaller so easier to fit in pocket... 16GB. Back cover, not too hard to remove.

The Pre3, larger screen, the camera is a huge improvement, front camera, Apps are a shot in the dark if they'll work or not, 4G, duel WIFI Ghz capacity, 8Gb model appears to be more common. Larger keyboard. Touch to share with Touchpad (if you use it). Back cover is a challenge to remove.

Both are sleek, solidly built (at least my Pre2 after 2 years is still as good as new). Both uses the Touchstone.

Speed wise, the Pre3 is quite faster, for some things, for example: a heavy game, the Pre3 will be in the start screen while the Pre2 will still be opening it. Other things, there's not enough of a difference to really matter, and some things, I find the Pre2 to be more responsive.

Both absolutely need Preware and many utilities installed to bring them up to "standards", such as things that should already be there, such as the flashlight in menu, etc.
    Very un-biased comparison.Thanks
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    im assuming Demon bought a huge lot when the OEM distributor wanted to get out from under them when HP pulled the plug. he may have got what, 500 - 1000 units? well that would take a while as he is getting a good price still. but he is setting the demand by controlling the supply right?

when buying an external power pack, just compare the mAh rating to the phone batt, which is like 1200 or near that (guessing) so a 3600 mAh pack would give 3 full charges. my friend's is over 4500. it is big as my Pre2. but of course she can share and charge anything. its nice.
    I'll have to keep an eye on that seller then. Just a shame I can't get warranty that way (unless I buy square trade, which is a whack for these devices).

The one's I'm looking at only has 2600 mah. However if 3600 gives around 3 full charges I'm fine with that. I only want a full day with it and I'm happy

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    You mentioned there aren't digitizers for the Pre3 above. I've been watching this for a couple months now. Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More |eBay
    Thanks very much! How strange when I search world wide on eBay it doesn't pop up. I'm watching this item now cheers, would of missed it

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-pre...3-its-way.html

Thanks that's a really good comparison. I think the main trade off you've mentioned in your thread is the lack of apps did you manage to try the work around? I'm wondering how many games actually do install and work OK.

It seems like the Pre 3 has the slight edge, the better camera and quicker rendering speeds for the web along with the nicer keyboard and screen seems to be the win for me

The only thing I'm a bit on is the apps I'll try install TP apps and Webos 2.0 apps regardless hoping they will work there's some TP games which look cool and apparently most down scale pretty well?

I've been looking at THIS THREAD for the app list. That was a couple of years ago so hoping not much as changed?

I need Worms on my device looks like most of the gameloft games don't work.

Can we still download feeds for the TP?

I've been looking at THIS THREAD for the app list. That was a couple of years ago so hoping not much as changed?

I need Worms on my device looks like most of the gameloft games don't work.

Can we still download feeds for the TP?
    Just took a look of that list, and from the most part, it looks fairly correct.

I also just did the game/App fix (the patch that you drop in the game's folder) and just got 3 games that wouldn't work to be ok now... (Fantastic!!!) Will have to check a few others that I've had trouble with.

So far, it's a question that some things just aren't showing in the catalog, such as Tower wars (#1, and the Pre version), but #2 which doesn't show on the Pre catalog, but does on the Touchpad, does come up and works on the Pre3.

For Worms.. it's there, and just tested it out, and had no problem at all doing a quick game (one round).
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Another factor about the Pre2 and 3..

Sound quality.

Most of us already know that the Pre2 eats just about all other phones in terms of loudness/clarity... that little speaker has lots of power for it's size.

But the Pre3... well... almost makes the Pre2 look bad.

It's louder by a fair amount, but also much clearer. There's actually some bass and much more clarity to the sound.

It's like a mini Touchpad speaker... and the Touchpad still being the best sounding tablet I've yet to ever hear.. (and by a HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE factor).
    I see a pattern...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    I assume you're talking about games currently available for Pre2 and Pre3 and not the Pre on 1.4.5...otherwise you might be disappointed with what doesn't carry over from webOS 1 to 2.

You can use Navit or the beta of nDrive. Navit is free and open source but I've found it's not as user friendly (I'm in the US). nDrive works and looks nice but you'll have to buy the maps which I don't believe they're updating anymore. I use nDrive though and really like it. GPS works great on Pre3...haven't tried the Pre2.

The Facebook app for webOS is pretty worthless. It "works" but if I had to assign a completely made up functional percentage it would be 50%. QuickChat for Facebook is beautiful and works seamlessly and it perfect if all you want Facebook for is chat.

webOS Ports made a great Enyo2 rewrite of the memos app called OWO Memos. Also, QuickOffice is built-in to webOS and while I wouldn't say it's a feature rich office suite it does open Microsoft Office file types.

It's as good as you are to it. Slam open and closed the slider, don't use a screen protector, drop it, etc. and it will break just like any other cell phone out there. Just take care of it. You'll be able to repair the entire phone yourself. I guarantee it.

I love the Pre3. Great phone. Great OS. Totally worth it. I had a Pre+ before it and then switched to a Galaxy Nexus for almost 2 years. Tiny screen to giant screen. Then I bought the Pre3. I haven't missed the screen ONCE of the GNex. Pre3 fits great in the hand, pocket, and the screen size is easy to read. Hopefully this helps your research.
    You have a comprehensive reply so will just add build quality good, keyboard better fits perfectly in the hand though larger than Pre2 and unlike almost any other smart phone out there. Its not jsut size its the rounded effect that snuggles. so less likely to drop. Also fastewr processor I believe. Go for it.
  10.    #30  
    Just took a look of that list, and from the most part, it looks fairly correct.

I also just did the game/App fix (the patch that you drop in the game's folder) and just got 3 games that wouldn't work to be ok now... (Fantastic!!!) Will have to check a few others that I've had trouble with.

So far, it's a question that some things just aren't showing in the catalog, such as Tower wars (#1, and the Pre version), but #2 which doesn't show on the Pre catalog, but does on the Touchpad, does come up and works on the Pre3.

For Worms.. it's there, and just tested it out, and had no problem at all doing a quick game (one round).
    Oooo interesting, could you post the link to that game patch? I'm not even sure what it is?

But that is strange for the Tower Wars games, least one shows up as long some works. Just trial and error by the sounds of it. There's games and apps I've never even heard of, some are on Webos 1.x, some on 2.x and some on 3.x, it's all over the shop

Another factor about the Pre2 and 3..

Sound quality.

Most of us already know that the Pre2 eats just about all other phones in terms of loudness/clarity... that little speaker has lots of power for it's size.

But the Pre3... well... almost makes the Pre2 look bad.

It's louder by a fair amount, but also much clearer. There's actually some bass and much more clarity to the sound.

It's like a mini Touchpad speaker... and the Touchpad still being the best sounding tablet I've yet to ever hear.. (and by a HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE factor).
    Wow thanks for this that's a huge deciding factor for me as I seem to say "What" quite a lot on most phones I've had great stuff!

Thanks for all the input though, really appreciate it. Getting a really good picture on what the Pre 3's experience may be like
    Oooo interesting, could you post the link to that game patch? I'm not even sure what it is?

This thread:

Make apps fit the whole screen Pre3

Not just for games, but Apps that don't work on the Pre3, this gives it a chance.

I've gotten these to work thanks to the "Fixing PDK apps" part... which is really easy...

Azkend
    Sparkle
    Glow Hockey

My "technique", was to use "WIFI File Sharing" (Preware, and a must) with everything "browseable", so to access all folders, and copy the file over as per instructed.

I'll have to reload a few other Apps (mostly games) that didn't work and see if this helps.
    I see a pattern...
  12.    #32  
    This thread:

Make apps fit the whole screen Pre3

Not just for games, but Apps that don't work on the Pre3, this gives it a chance.

I've gotten these to work thanks to the "Fixing PDK apps" part... which is really easy...

Azkend
    Sparkle
    Glow Hockey

My "technique", was to use "WIFI File Sharing" (Preware, and a must) with everything "browseable", so to access all folders, and copy the file over as per instructed.

I'll have to reload a few other Apps (mostly games) that didn't work and see if this helps.
    Wooo Sparkle is in that list I love Sparkle.

Thanks for that link I'll bookmark it extremely handy.

It is done, stuff is on the way bought 1x Battery from than Canadian store and also 1x portable power pack.

All that's left is the phone
    Wooo Sparkle is in that list I love Sparkle.

Thanks for that link I'll bookmark it extremely handy.

It is done, stuff is on the way bought 1x Battery from than Canadian store and also 1x portable power pack.

All that's left is the phone
    I bought that battery (from Canadian store) 2 days ago, so awaiting it too. I'll probably post/report my findings one I get it.

And you forgot one thing... screen protector. (I'm awaiting mine).

Regardless of how strong the glass is on any phone, when you see how dropping tests go with screens that are unprotected and protected, the protected ones do survive a LOT more. And my Pre2, over two years and the screen is still perfect (heck the phone could pass as new as I took great care of it).

And if you don't have Touchstones, make sure that you get some... I have one at my desk, beside my bed, at the office and one in the car.

Putting the phone down when you sit down, turning it into a little clock while charging it, and having it sit just at the right angle, and NO WIRES to mess with...

There is no way that I would ever want a phone that didn't have such technology... I hate cables, and part of the whole "WIFI File Sharing" (Preware) being so important.

On a similar note (wires and wireless): Bluetooth.

Sadly, since 2.2.4, they broke the Bluetooth connection with the earpieces for the most part (On my original Pre and Pre2 running 2.1, it worked fairly flawless with any earpiece). I have a high model Blueant that would do the voice dialing for the phone and all was fine. With the update to 2.2.4, voice dialing was now available in phone, but it killed the BlueAnt completely, and from earpiece to earpiece, it's been very unpredictable.

I've had to buy and test several earpieces (different brands, different models, all good quality ones), and so far, the Samsung HM 3700 that I have has been the most stable one, but it still crashes/doesn't work right on a off-hand basis requiring a reboot of the phone.

This is something that I've just confirmed is the same with the Pre3.

But stereo Bluetooth headsets do appear to work better for the phone application, and they do works pretty flawlessly with music.

I have both the Creative Labs WP-250 and the WP350, and they have been great (I can't recommend them enough)... excellent sound, a good 8 hours of play time. I also have a Nexxtech one that's also fine (but cheaper).
    I see a pattern...
  14.    #34  
    I bought that battery (from Canadian store) 2 days ago, so awaiting it too. I'll probably post/report my findings one I get it.

And you forgot one thing... screen protector. (I'm awaiting mine).

Regardless of how strong the glass is on any phone, when you see how dropping tests go with screens that are unprotected and protected, the protected ones do survive a LOT more. And my Pre2, over two years and the screen is still perfect (heck the phone could pass as new as I took great care of it).

And if you don't have Touchstones, make sure that you get some... I have one at my desk, beside my bed, at the office and one in the car.

Putting the phone down when you sit down, turning it into a little clock while charging it, and having it sit just at the right angle, and NO WIRES to mess with...

There is no way that I would ever want a phone that didn't have such technology... I hate cables, and part of the whole "WIFI File Sharing" (Preware) being so important.

On a similar note (wires and wireless): Bluetooth.

Sadly, since 2.2.4, they broke the Bluetooth connection with the earpieces for the most part (On my original Pre and Pre2 running 2.1, it worked fairly flawless with any earpiece). I have a high model Blueant that would do the voice dialing for the phone and all was fine. With the update to 2.2.4, voice dialing was now available in phone, but it killed the BlueAnt completely, and from earpiece to earpiece, it's been very unpredictable.

I've had to buy and test several earpieces (different brands, different models, all good quality ones), and so far, the Samsung HM 3700 that I have has been the most stable one, but it still crashes/doesn't work right on a off-hand basis requiring a reboot of the phone.

This is something that I've just confirmed is the same with the Pre3.

But stereo Bluetooth headsets do appear to work better for the phone application, and they do works pretty flawlessly with music.

I have both the Creative Labs WP-250 and the WP350, and they have been great (I can't recommend them enough)... excellent sound, a good 8 hours of play time. I also have a Nexxtech one that's also fine (but cheaper).
    Don't worry I didn't forget the screen protector I've got a nice matte anti-glare one. Use it for my current phone and it looks and feels great. Protection wise perfect. I never go for the "ultra clear" any more.

Mine will probably take a few weeks as it's coming to the UK but that'll be my backup so I may not need it for a year or so of course I'll test it out first.

But yeah great if you report on it's performance

I used to have touch stones and I have to be perfectly honest I didn't use it; I found it annoying as it needed a cable anyway. I much prefer using a cable for charging (USB charging).

Also unfortunately I can't relate to the bluetooth as I've never used bluetooth before well except from the days where you'd transfer files over over than that I don't use it.

I prefer physical mediums
  15.    #35  
    UPDATE:
    Oh, just bought a HP Pre 3 from Demonic Computers. 108.75 ($178.25).

Didn't expect that, instant offer accept. Nice! 8.75 ($14.34) over what I was going to pay

Wooooooo
    UPDATE:
    Oh, just bought a HP Pre 3 from Demonic Computers. 108.75 ($178.25).

Didn't expect that, instant offer accept. Nice! 8.75 ($14.34) over what I was going to pay

Wooooooo

Congrats... I got mine from them too..

Took less than a week to get here (Canada), everything new.

And for the cable thing... remember that plugging and unplugging can lead to a broken port.

I challenge you to use the touchstone for a week and see if you'll return to wanting to plug it in.

And if you do use your phone for playing music, I really recommend you getting a Bluetooth headset... again, give it a week, and if you aren't going "why haven't I used this before??" I'll be surprised.

It's like the TV... do you remember the days before the IR remotes? Having to use the knobs?... it's like that.
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 12/18/2013 at 12:06 PM.
    I see a pattern...
  17.    #37  
    Congrats... I got mine from them too..

Took less than a week to get here (Canada), everything new.

And for the cable thing... remember that plugging and unplugging can lead to a broken port.

I challenge you to use the touchstone for a week and see if you'll return to wanting to plug it in.
    A week, that's quick! Wonder when mine will come pretty glad I bought from that seller now. brand new, yum

And challenge accepted I'll give it a shot!!

That said plugging and unplugging on the Pre-/Pre+ was awful, that flappy door, I had to glue the door back in I don't know how many times.
  18.    #38  
    Update:
    OK Your right, the touchstone makes life so much easier loving the touchstone now. Don't know why but it feels a lot better on the Pre 3 than the Pre 2. Sits there nicely.
    Update:
    OK Your right, the touchstone makes life so much easier loving the touchstone now. Don't know why but it feels a lot better on the Pre 3 than the Pre 2. Sits there nicely.
    Glad to see that you're enjoying it.
    I see a pattern...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12