Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hello all,

Can someone either persuade me to come back to WebOS or leave?

Basically I've owned a Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2 and another Pre; all of them died within a year so I spend a small fortune on them. From modem dying, to right out screen going haywire when it feels like it, to complete deaths.

There's a HP Pre 3 going which I want. Question is, is it worth my while or is it going to died once again? I always used to treat my Pre carefully.

OK Now I have an Android Xperia Miro. Yes Android is OK, not downloading all the games I thought I would. But I'm missing the physical keyboard and simplicity my Pre had. I mean the apps are limited, camera doesn't allow editing or any features, but there's something about WebOS I just miss.

Do I trade my Xperia Miro in for a Pre or look to say Windows 8 phone? My #1 fear is if I buy a Pre 3 that it'll just die again (I can't afford it to keep dying as they are rare and expensive).

Oh yeah, and I text ridiculously so ease of texting is my #1 priority.

Thanks all
    fxspec06 and Dave Liao like this.
    Wow you had some bad luck with hardware. I have only had one failure - a touchscreen on my first Pre from 2009 that became intermittently unresponsive after falling onto a concrete floor from my lap - I had that phone replaced, and that phone got chewed up by one of my dogs. I have every model of Pre and two Touchpads, and all are still fully functional after all these years. My Pixi from 2009 has a sensitive mute switch (any pressure will mute the ringer) but otherwise works fine. Sorry for writing so much when that wasn't your main question. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't. I would still use a FrankenPre2 for my main device but it is blocked by the Exchange server at work, and I need my calendar on me. I don't use many apps on a daily basis. They are nice, but all they really do is cause me to waste more time on my phone.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    fxspec06 likes this.
  3.    #3  
    I must be very unfortunate! Truthfully I absolutely love WebOS, there has been some major issues that really caused me headaches with it but there's something just, well, better about it than say Android.

My Pre's seem to die regardless of what I do with them. The Pre 3 looks well built though.

As you said apps just make me waste more time on my phone; customisation and some decent games to pass my train journeys or a bit of fun in the night is nice but that's about it.

I just wish I could attach a keyboard to a touchscreen or something
    fxspec06 likes this.
    My friend who happens to be the only other person I know with a pre (franken pre actually) switched to android GS4 because he had big screen and app envy.

Lately he has been texting me about time for me to get a new phone. But I know what he really means is damn I miss my palm pre. I don't rub it in tho cause I know he can't get the instagram and such that he is into with a pre2
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Depends on what he's doing with Instagram. If he's not posting any pictures himself than Instagrio is a great webOS Instagram app.
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    well, I know I couldn't part with my pre 3 yet. Love this phone!
    fxspec06 and steeled like this.
    Really tho I would suggest coming back with a pre2. It's a lot easier to maintain, spare batteries and such
    fxspec06 and xandros9 like this.
  8.    #8  
    I just can't quite shake the fact that I really love my Pre!. I just don't want the problem again with all the issues (hardware & software) I had with my old Pre's

I don't use apps anyway; come to the conclusion, Android is pretty pants for them really. It's useless some pointless app that are awfully written. Yes there are some good apps (and games!) but they are far and few.

So, are there any real software issues on the Pre 3? I mean now HP has gone off I should be able to happily bypass their activation system forever? Would I be happy with it (with some patches, games, the like) for the next 2 years say? My Xperia has just run, no issues, but I'm unsure on whether my Pre will or if I'm going to have to Doctor it a zillion times in the coming years
    fxspec06 likes this.
    I'm back! somehow. WE NEED TO SAVE WEBOS PEEOPLES>........
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

10.    #10  
    The truth is I know if I go out and buy a Windows 8 Phone I'll end up craving WebOS again.

I wish I had the time to develop apps for it or tweak it it's the only OS I'd be happy to play around with. I couldn't give a monkeys about customizing Android.

I'm in the UK, but parts seem rare. I can't really find replacement parts (digitaliser, ribbon cables etc). Batteries are OK to find though.
    The place I may be buying from has 1 year warranty and because no one is buying them I should be able to snatch one up if my Pre goes within the year.

I'm just trying to tell myself I want it aren't I!
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Really tho I would suggest coming back with a pre2. It's a lot easier to maintain, spare batteries and such
    Nah, Pre3 has the edge and spare batteries are available (if a bit more pricey than the Pre/2 ones). Mine's been running continuously for over 2 years now as my daily driver and I plan to stick with it a bit longer though I admit I am being drawn more and more into the Android world as time goes on. Several services I could really use for work are not available on WebOS so I am getting to the point I might start carrying an Android maybe just for work.
  12.    #12  
    The major appeal about the Pre 3 for me is the screen size, keyboard and the true multitasking. Coming to Android and having every application close on me if I want to do something else really reminds me of the benefit of how WebOS works.

Before I commit; are all the patches, themes, etc still available for the Pre 3? I mean Preware and everything?

EDIT\
    Also major question, what about those paid applications? If the app catalogue goes how'd I get some of the great apps/games that used to be there?
    Last edited by Michael Long3; 12/12/2013 at 11:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Long3 View Post
    The truth is I know if I go out and buy a Windows 8 Phone I'll end up craving WebOS again.

I wish I had the time to develop apps for it or tweak it it's the only OS I'd be happy to play around with. I couldn't give a monkeys about customizing Android.

I'm in the UK, but parts seem rare. I can't really find replacement parts (digitaliser, ribbon cables etc). Batteries are OK to find though.
    The place I may be buying from has 1 year warranty and because no one is buying them I should be able to snatch one up if my Pre goes within the year.

I'm just trying to tell myself I want it aren't I!
    I wish I had the time to develop apps for it or tweak it

=======>

I'm going to upload my app to the cloud. Maybe some devs can pick it up and optimize it. Maybe then Neo can be "the face of the new webos" or something. It's Spaz HD == Remastered so it's supposed to be Open Source anyways........ but it took me so long to fix it up it may be one of the last "bulilt for webos" apps that could save the platform. IDK. just ideas.
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    Nah, Pre3 has the edge and spare batteries are available (if a bit more pricey than the Pre/2 ones). Mine's been running continuously for over 2 years now as my daily driver and I plan to stick with it a bit longer though I admit I am being drawn more and more into the Android world as time goes on. Several services I could really use for work are not available on WebOS so I am getting to the point I might start carrying an Android maybe just for work.
    My Pre3 bit the bed and I had to sell it for parts. I had it OC'd and it stung. That's probably why it wasn't released...

15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    I wish I had the time to develop apps for it or tweak it
    I'm going to upload my app to the cloud. Maybe some devs can pick it up and optimize it.
    Someone would definitely pick it up and tweak it without you knowing. Bet there's still loads of people developing for WebOS who aren't coming forward.

One thing I definitely miss (just remembered) is the full swipes to change cards. That saved me so much time!

That said look here:10tons Ltd. - Sparkle 2

A new game by 10tons, made one of my favourite games on WebOS, sparkle. That's new, June 2013 ish.

Someone still cares about WebOS clearly. Nice to see a game developer caring about the minority.
    fxspec06 and paisley99 like this.
    Before I commit; are all the patches, themes, etc still available for the Pre 3? I mean Preware and everything?
    Not all patches, but most of those available for the Pre2, yes. Themes, don't know. Preware - most definately!

Also major question, what about those paid applications? If the app catalogue goes how'd I get some of the great apps/games that used to be there?
    If you get them now (or before the app catalogue closes) there are ways to get a local backup of the .ipk file the apps come as. If you've got your personal backup of those apps you could install those using Preware (or other) even when/if the app catalogue is no longer available. The webOS Survival Kit indicates that webOS internalz have some sort of backup system ready to go aswell in case it should be needed and if you follow their instructions to prepare now (or once you have your Pre set up and running, if you should decide to get one).
    If/once the app calatogue closes there is no way you would be able to buy any more apps. It would be down to the developers to offer different ways to get their apps (like Preware). I guess probably 90% of those apps would never be made available again elswhere as most developers left webOS for good and might not even know that their app was no longer available once the catalogue was shut down.

I mean now HP has gone off I should be able to happily bypass their activation system forever?
    You can't bypass the activation and then purchase apps. Just have your calendar and contacts synced with some other service than the Palm Profile, so you're save should the service be shut down. (see webOS survival kit)

Would I be happy with it (with some patches, games, the like) for the next 2 years say?
    Impossible for anybody but you to answer. Am I happy with my Pre3 & Veer? Generally, yes. Do I want another phone? If it's new and running webOS, sure! Would I recommend buying a >2 year old webOS phone today? No. But I'd let anybody who is interested play around with my phone and let them make up their own mind.
  17.    #17  
    Not all patches, but most of those available for the Pre2, yes. Themes, don't know. Preware - most definately!
    Thanks is there anyway to download literally everything from Preware onto a local storage? I can't remember if you can do that or not. If so that's perfect.

If/once the app calatogue closes there is no way you would be able to buy any more apps.
    Ah right thanks; I did take a look at the WebOS survival kit, I know I may be needing it. As long as I can get those paid apps before everything closes I can then sort out a local backup. I always used to doctor my phone, probably my fault but yeah. I'd probably need some sort of certificate to prove I've bought them.

You can't bypass the activation and then purchase apps. Just have your calendar and contacts synced with some other service than the Palm Profile, so you're save should the service be shut down. (see webOS survival kit)
    Yeah I know I can't buy apps but I know you can simply use the phone without bothering HP ever again anyway? I used to use that syncing app (can't remember the name) so that's OK

Impossible for anybody but you to answer. Am I happy with my Pre3 & Veer? Generally, yes. Do I want another phone? If it's new and running webOS, sure! Would I recommend buying a >2 year old webOS phone today? No. But I'd let anybody who is interested play around with my phone and let them make up their own mind.
    Problem is I see a smartphone more as a mini computer now, in that I use apps on the move (games) to pass time. And I should really erase that thought, because the Pre had it all. In fact the thing I missed most was the true multitasking.

The only thing the Pre doesn't have is the ability to camera zoom but then there is literally no other phone available now that has the nice QWERTY keyboard the Pre does; it's all bleeding touchscreen. The Windows phones are nice, quick etc but there's something about it that lacks. I remember my Pre and how awesome it was, simple and sleek

I'm used going to have to weigh the benefits and costs.

Thanks all
  18.    #18  
    How much would you pay for a Pre 3 in apparently "A" condition? just wondering, wouldn't like to be ripped off
    How much would you pay for a Pre 3 in apparently "A" condition? just wondering, wouldn't like to be ripped off
    You looking for GSM or CDMA. The AT&T ones are generally cheaper (approx. ~$90-$150 depending on condition) and also have 4G
    I've actually been looking for a Verizon Pre3 on eBay lately and some have cropped up for reasonable money ($130-160)

It really comes down to supply and demand, if next month there's only 1 on eBay it may go for $200+
  20.    #20  
    Thanks! well I'm in UK so GSM you guys over in the states have better deals than us. HP Pre 3s are rare, and definitely rare because there's only one left where I'm looking.

Of course eBay "has" some by one user, but then this user has been selling "new HP Pre 3s" for years which makes me extremely suspicious. Plus I've not had luck with users selling Pres on eBay, especially because there's no warranty.

Well the HP Pre 3 selling for A condition (apparently in mint as new, the company grades phones very strictly) is $162.90 (which is 100 GBP). Comes with a 1 year warranty meaning the phone would be sent off for repairs if anything would to go wrong.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast