1.    #1  
    Hi,

As HP Mobile Hotspot didn't work for me, I decided to give freetether a try. And it worked... Once.

The testing procedure:
    Initial state: freshly booted up system. 2G network. Advanced right corner menu patch installed (later on called device menu). Data is off. I'm in Poland, the operator is Play.
    Steps:
    1. In the device menu enable 3G
    2. Enable data connection
    3. Take a random google - mobile internet works
    4. Close the browser
    5. Start freetether
    6. Start wifi tethering
    7. Connect a device: here: Nokia N900: works
    8. Google something on N900: works
    9. Disconnect N900
    10. Disable tethering
    11. Turn off data
    12. Enable 2G only
    13. Close freetether
    14. Repeat steps 1-6
    15. The freetether network is not being detected by N900, a computer (Linux Mint 15) can't connect either

What am I doing wrong?

I'm not sure if this is important, but the DHCP server dot is lit up even after disabling the tethering...

Thanks

/edit: after another reboot, the DHCP dot (and the other one) aren't lit. When I enable tethering they light up. When I disable it back, they don't die.
    Last edited by marmistrz; 12/07/2013 at 02:04 PM.
    Actually, now that you mention it I have the same issue.

I only use freeTether in hotels with overpriced wifi. On my last trip I noticed what you say: After any fresh reboot, I could connect my laptop over wifi through freeTether. If for any reason I disconnected then reconnected, the computer couldn't get online.

Rebooting the Pre 3 lets me connect (once) again.

Fortunately the Pre 3 reboots about 5x faster than all my other old Pre's, so I just dealt with it. Don't know a proper solution though! And didn't have this trouble on my FrankenPre 2.

Didn't notice the DHCP part. Someone more in the know: Does it need a DHCP release?

Edit: This is a known issue. See here - freeTether 1.2.x
    Last edited by ananimus; 12/07/2013 at 02:29 PM.
    Have either of you checked the freeTether thread?

Here's the link in case it helps: freeTether 1.2.x
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Have either of you checked the freeTether thread?

Here's the link in case it helps: freeTether 1.2.x
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Edit: This is a known issue. See here - freeTether 1.2.x
    And the particular post # linked is the dev saying, "Yep. Can't do anything about it."
    I wondered if it was that issue. Been a long time since I read that thread. I've never tried it on my Pre3, partly due to remembering there being a problem with it on the 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I wondered if it was that issue. Been a long time since I read that thread. I've never tried it on my Pre3, partly due to remembering there being a problem with it on the 3.
    Still beats the snot out of $20 for 24 hours of hotel wifi. Seriously, wth?

It did work quickly and reliably once after every reboot though. I just made a habit of rebooting on the way to the elevator and it was ready to roll by the time I was in the room. Would've been annoying with the old Pres' 5 minute reboots though.
    yeah, same here. sometimes I do seem to be able to use it again (not entirely sure), but not usually. For the rare occaision that I need it, it's simple to just reboot the phone when I'm done.

I imagine if the Pre3 hadn't been canceled and the most talented kernel hackers were still around and interested, there'd be an UberKernel by now that would fix these issues. Alas....