Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi, well the appeal was too strong and I bidded on one (new in box) on eBay and did get it at a good price (under 150$ US... but the shipping is murder)

So my question is to all Pre3 users out there.

What is the best approach to setting it up when I get it... advice, limitations compared to the Pre?

Recommended Apps, what to expect for Apps that won't or will work with it that I have on either my Pre2 or Touchpad?

Of course I expect to have to set it back (date) for the root certificate fix, but aside that....
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    eKeith likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    Hi, well the appeal was too strong and I bidded on one (new in box) on eBay and did get it at a good price (under 150$ US... but the shipping is murder)

What is the best approach to setting it up when I get it... advice, limitations compared to the Pre?

Recommended Apps, what to expect for Apps that won't or will work with it that I have on either my Pre2 or Touchpad?

Of course I expect to have to set it back (date) for the root certificate fix, but aside that....
    NIB for under $150?!! Man I didn't wait long enough. Congrats on the purchase. I wouldn't say there are any limitations compared to the Pre - particularly the original Pre. The Pre+ and Pre2 have more free RAM, but I haven't noticed a huge difference between them, and I own them all. The Pre3 is the fastest, though the Pre2 isn't far behind esp when overclocked. Obviously install Preware and Uberkernel, even if you don't overclock it. I've never had a too many cards error with it, but the short time I had the stock kernel I had several of them. I didn't overclock mine at first, but I can definitely tell a difference at even 1.4 GHz. The keyboard is even better then the Pre's.

Most of the phone apps run fine on it, other than some PDK apps (games) - Asphalt 5 won't run on mine - maybe because the CPU is Qualcomm instead of TI OMAP. Haven't tried many. The black bar at the bottom of apps that weren't updated to fill the screen isn't a bother. I haven't tried to force any Touchpad apps onto here.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 12/08/2013 at 07:34 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Another question.. I share my Palm account on my Pre2 and my 3 Touchpads, will I be able to add the Pre3 as a separate device, or will it "wipe" my Pre2 (as I've done if I used a second Pre2, so only one Pre2 can have be the account "holder").
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    There are workarounds to prevent wiping the Pre2 when signing in to the Pre3. You can use the stopdevicewipe procedure, which signs you out of the profile but doesn't wipe the device. You then can't access the catalog from the Pre2. I read a post recently from someone that masqueraded their second phone as a tablet, but I imagine that would lock out any apps marked as not Touchpad compatible. It shouldn't be a huge number, but something to think about. I used the stopdevicewipe, as my Pre2 already has all of the apps on it I need on it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

There's this from Vistaus:
    The Big Patch Thread (TBPT) - Pre 3
    Last edited by Preemptive; 12/06/2013 at 04:54 AM.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Thanks, I had forgotten about that article, and was wondering if you could sign back in without wiping your device also.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Yeah.. Uberkernel + 2.2.4 is a nice combo for the Pre3 IMHO.
    I got a horror version of the 'wipes' after Veer + Pre3 + TP's on the same Palm Profile! So settled for a seperate profile for the Veer in the end.
    Usual Preware apps - + 'Theme Manager' will allow some good tweaking & mixing of themes etc too.

Enjoy!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  9.    #9  
    And I have my PRe3!!!!!!!!!!

And well...

First, thanks to those that helped.

I did the impostah to save my Pre2 from losing it's Apps, so that part is fine.

I've had the headache of figuring out that the 2.2.0 to 2.2.4 was through the onboard system updates, I was trying to doctor and just couldn't get it to work anyways... but once figures that out, that was quick and no problem to get it done.

I also had trouble to get Preware installed but eventually got it. I'll have to spend some time getting things reinstalled.

MY TROUBLES: most of the Apps are giving my an install error...

From the few things I found online, this should fix itself in time (in the next couple of days)...

Is this correct.... experiences? fixes?

Skype video... really nice to have, and tested the camera, sooooo nice to have focusing capacity for close up items, something the Pre2 lacks badly.
    I see a pattern...
    The prices for the Pre 3 are going down these days, I am tempted to get one but Iwould need to find someone to bring me the phone from the US... I will begin asking who is going on vacations up there, jeje
    Dell Axim X5 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Treo Pro + MicroSD 4GB -> Palm Pre 2 (Lost it) -> Palm Pixi Plus -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Pre 3
    And I have my PRe3!!!!!!!!!!

And well...

First, thanks to those that helped.

I did the impostah to save my Pre2 from losing it's Apps, so that part is fine.

I've had the headache of figuring out that the 2.2.0 to 2.2.4 was through the onboard system updates, I was trying to doctor and just couldn't get it to work anyways... but once figures that out, that was quick and no problem to get it done.

I also had trouble to get Preware installed but eventually got it. I'll have to spend some time getting things reinstalled.

MY TROUBLES: most of the Apps are giving my an install error...

From the few things I found online, this should fix itself in time (in the next couple of days)...

Is this correct.... experiences? fixes?

Skype video... really nice to have, and tested the camera, sooooo nice to have focusing capacity for close up items, something the Pre2 lacks badly.
    Yeah, finally getting AF was pretty nice.

As for app install errors, I trust you know about the Root Certificate issue? For me, any app that showed in the App Store for my 3 installed fine.
  12.    #12  
    Yup I knew all about it....

but even so...... it still WAS the root certificate...

Regardless of having set the time back, loading it, it required to be redone a few times before it started working right....

But sadly, I now know is that there is quite a few Apps that do not work with the Pre3. I lost close to half of the games I used to play.

So the trade off is a lot of Apps, for the larger screen, the much improved camera, the front camera, faster processor.

I do find that it seems to sit there and look at me going "duh" on some instances.

Such as with the Pre2, I could have an email that was in the process of opening and I can hit the delete and it would delete fairly right away. The Pre3 seems to insist on finishing the rendering first.

So my experience were (for any future Pre3 owners) as per getting a new Pre3 for the first time.

1) the update to 2.2.4 was accomplished via the system update of the phone itself, trying to doctor it (before I realize this) was a failure the phone didn't want to be recognize by my computer.

2) Getting Preware installed required me booting my old (very old) XP 32 machine as I still couldn't get it to be recognized on my normal machine.

3) did the date switch for the root certificate three times before it finally worked., and finally got my Apps to load and install.

4) With Preware, getting Google Map required doing it through the computer again. The other Preware stuff worked.

5) Going through all the Apps... found several gone (that are no longer in the catalog of the Pre3, but still there if I check via my Touchpad). Many others, the screen resolution is a mess, making them unusable.

6) The touchstone is a bit soft (the Pre3's shape makes it less stable for the magnet), but I've already had read about that, so no surprises.

7) Touch to share works fine Pre3->Touchpad, but Touchpad to Pre3 won't work if you use Advance browser as default, but will with Isis.

8) Video calls via Skype ... well, there no freaking instructions anywhere on what to do, what app, turns out that it's the phone App itself... you voice call via skype and an icon in the corner appears to turn video on. My phone worked better than the Touchpad at this point, the image clarity for such a tiny camera (the front) is impressive.

9) how it feels in the hand... it's amazing how there's actually such a difference. Compared to most phones out there, it feels great, but is it's not that much bigger than the Pre2, I didn't expect such a different feel.

10) quality... it's gorgeous, with the "minor" flaws being:

a) getting the back off, its a horrible nail fighting quest... in time I'll probably get better at it, but did it twice and found it very difficult, at least compared to the Pre 1 and Pre2.
    b) a little bit of play with the slider is opened, so that it ticks a bit... something that my Pre2, after 2 years, is still very firm and solid.

That's my first experience and impression after 24some hours and spending that time doing the setup...
    I see a pattern...
    I went from a Pre2 to a Pre3. The Pre3 is faster but the Pre2 will let you run far more apps at the same time.
    b) a little bit of play with the slider is opened, so that it ticks a bit... something that my Pre2, after 2 years, is still very firm and solid.
    Just be prepared for this Clicking noise pre 3 slider (volume cable?) You can open the device and try superglue (not the best solution but works) or a small piece of tape (won't degrade the cable like superglue). Or just don't bang the slider open and closed super hard.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Just be prepared for this Clicking noise pre 3 slider (volume cable?) You can open the device and try superglue (not the best solution but works) or a small piece of tape (won't degrade the cable like superglue). Or just don't bang the slider open and closed super hard.
    Thanks, I'll be on the lookout.

The ticking I meant was more about it being lose when opened, and if I touch the top part, the ticking is due to it being just a tad loose, nothing inside nor while opening/closing.
    I see a pattern...
    5) Going through all the Apps... found several gone (that are no longer in the catalog of the Pre3, but still there if I check via my Touchpad). Many others, the screen resolution is a mess, making them unusable.
    Regarding the shortage of apps, there is a preware patch (might be impostah - can't remember) that allows you to see all the apps for all models (including the touchpad). Some don't work properly when you install due to screen size issues but it's then up to you if you keep it or not. The majority just have not been re-released for the Pre3 despite working fine so you just install and carry on.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    app tuckerbox is your friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeron View Post
    That's the one!

Thanks Xeron.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeron View Post
    Installed it, and well..

It's showing a lot more Apps... but unless I'm missing something, I can't install them anyways, so can't even tell if they'd work of not.

And still some are missing. (such as Tower Wars)

On those I tried, it boots the HP catalog App and then gives the message that this is not a WebOs App.

Fast-forward a good hour later...after trying it and closing it.

Now, Preware doesn't appear to want to open, it seems stuck at the optware download phase. It's been spinning for quite a while now and the progress bar isn't moving (at the very start of the bar).

I've now deleted both App Tuckerbox (after doing the unregistering), and Preware, and reinstalled Preware via computer and it's working, but with an error about a link broken in reference to Tuckerbox.

So... even with all those Apps showing, I wasn't able to install a single one, got Preware frozen, and now an error message.

App Tuckerbox is NOT my friend at this time.
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 12/17/2013 at 12:19 PM.
    I see a pattern...
    Installed it, and well..

It's showing a lot more Apps... but unless I'm missing something, I can't install them anyways, so can't even tell if they'd work of not.

And still some are missing. (such as Tower Wars)

On those I tried, it boots the HP catalog App and then gives the message that this is not a WebOs App.

Fast-forward a good hour later...after trying it and closing it.

Now, Preware doesn't appear to want to open, it seems stuck at the optware download phase. It's been spinning for quite a while now and the progress bar isn't moving (at the very start of the bar).

I've now deleted both App Tuckerbox (after doing the unregistering), and Preware, and reinstalled Preware via computer and it's working, but with an error about a link broken in reference to Tuckerbox.

So... even with all those Apps showing, I wasn't able to install a single one, got Preware frozen, and now an error message.

App Tuckerbox is NOT my friend at this time.
    Have you checked the "use app tuckerbox" and "override device compatibility" are set to "yes"?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast