Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #1  
    Does anybody own all PrPrPr&#$275$; $smartphones$ $and$ $have$ $a$ $favorite$? $I$ $played$ $with$ $the$ $1st$ $gen$ $Pr$&#$275$; $and$ $used$ $the$ $Pr$&#$275$; $Plus$ $for$ $about$ $7$ $months$; $I$ $still$ $have$ $it$ $though$.

On my PrPrPr&#$275$; $Plus$, $I$ $prewared$ $and$ $overclocked$ $it$ $and$ $it$ $was$ $the$ $first$ $smartphone$ $that$ $gave$ $me$ $almost$ $everything$ $I$ $wanted$ $on$ $a$ $smartphone$. $My$ $original$ $hunch$, $back$ $in$ $2009$ $was$ $correct$. $I$'$ve$ $used$ $quite$ $a$ $few$ $smartphones$ $in$ $the$ $past$ $and$ $I$'$m$ $always$ $switching$.

I'd appreciate some insight, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by davidsdiego View Post
    Does anybody own all PrPrPr&#$275$; $smartphones$ $and$ $have$ $a$ $favorite$? $I$ $played$ $with$ $the$ $1st$ $gen$ $Pr$&#$275$; $and$ $used$ $the$ $Pr$&#$275$; $Plus$ $for$ $about$ $7$ $months$; $I$ $still$ $have$ $it$ $though$.

On my PrPrPr&#$275$; $Plus$, $I$ $prewared$ $and$ $overclocked$ $it$ $and$ $it$ $was$ $the$ $first$ $smartphone$ $that$ $gave$ $me$ $almost$ $everything$ $I$ $wanted$ $on$ $a$ $smartphone$. $My$ $original$ $hunch$, $back$ $in$ $2009$ $was$ $correct$. $I$'$ve$ $used$ $quite$ $a$ $few$ $smartphones$ $in$ $the$ $past$ $and$ $I$'$m$ $always$ $switching$.

Well I have a Verizon Palm PixiPlus, Verizon Palm PrePlus, Verizon Palm Pre2, Verizon HP Pre3, AT&T HP Veer...

Each have their own purpose, the PixiPlus is a great MP3 player, the PrePlus has the right screen feel (rounded), the Pre2 has the Speed, the Pre3 has duel cameras...

This all depends on what network/carrier you are going to be on...

I love my Verizon PrePlus (using webOS 2.2.4, mashed Pre2/PrePlus kernel, still unlimited and free 5G hotspot), but once it dies, I will sport the Pre2...
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    unlimited and free 5G hotspot...
    Only John Steffes would be packing 5G.
    Pre, Pre+, Pre2, Pre3, Pixi+...the Pixi is fun...I really can't explain it, it just is. The Pre3 is the perfect size but isn't the greatest implementation of webOS and hardware. The Pre2 seems pretty quick but I don't like the slider feel on mine as much as the Pre+. I think my favorite is the Pre+ even though my Pre3 is my daily driver and has a really nice keyboard.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    I also have them all, and my favorite is the Pre3. Perfect size, sharpest screen, fastest processor. It does have a bit less RAM, so it is easier to slow it down if too much is open, but it's still my favorite.
    I've got Sprint Pre, FrankenPre2 and an off-network U.K. Pre3. The only one I haven't used is a plus.
    I liked the rounded design with hardware button of the original Pre the best, but I have to admit that glass is much more practical on the face. I use the Pre3 at work on wifi and it great to have a camera that can focus close for that.
    My daily driver is the FrankenPre2 and I'm very happy with the performance boost versus the original Pre. Now that I've finally got a Pre3 I'm not itching to get one on-network for a daily driver, I prefer the original Pre form factor, so ideal for me would be a Pre2plus with Pre3 cameras and a little more RAM and processor bump.
    Guess I did this recently in a different thread, but here goes: I've owned all the phones except the Pixis, though I did try my friends' Pixis. That *was* a cool phone, form factor wise. Felt nice having the solid bar, though Pixi hardware never got very powerful.

The Veer is neat for its size and had oomphy hardware, but hated the proprietary jacks and would have rather they'd made it a slim bar instead of a chubbier slider (i.e.--a Pixi). Bugs and software never as fully ironed out either.

OG Pre... Lord did I love it when it was released! The Pre 2 was much more reliable though. Sturdy hardware, nice size, no software troubles since it had more "time in the oven." It does seem to have a bit more heft, and slightly less riverstone-y. That's small compared to the generally more bulletproof experience though.

Now I'm on the Pre 3. After a year, I'm sort of understanding what people mean by "glass doll." Little things on it are going glitchy (GPS locking, keyboard repeats). But usually no show stoppers and it packs all the necessaries plus a nice keyboard/screen into a tidy package, so I like it!

To me it's a toss up between the 2 and the 3, with the AF camera and nicer screen putting the 3 over the advantages of the 2.
    Pre+ - Pre2 - Pre3

My favorite is Pre2
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for everybody's insight! I believe I'll be looking into the Pre 3 or perhaps Veer...
    Thanks for everybody's insight! I believe I'll be looking into the Pre 3 or perhaps Veer...
    Go with a Pre3, I love mine. And you will have a chance to own history
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    But the pre2 is the last one that has the palm logo, since we talking about history
    Last edited by laingman; 11/22/2013 at 07:06 AM.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    Go with a Pre3, I love mine. And you will have a chance to own history
    Cool, thanks! The main reason I switched from the Palm Pre Plus back to another smartphone was the miniscule app catalog. Preware app catalog seemed limited.
    Cool, thanks! The main reason I switched from the Palm Pre Plus back to another smartphone was the miniscule app catalog. Preware app catalog seemed limited.
    The app catalog is still limited and won't get much bigger to be honest. However for me personally it's sufficient and covers all my needs.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    boovish and mrmarquis9 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    The app catalog is still limited and won't get much bigger to be honest. However for me personally it's sufficient and covers all my needs.
    I rarely use any apps beside Messaging, Phone, Bubble Popper, Email, and Internet. So I dont really care about a small app store
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by camaleon View Post
    Pre+ - Pre2 - Pre3

My favorite is Pre2
    How come? Just curious...
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    For other apps, I used and iPhone and PrPrPr&#$275$; $concurrently$.
    I have all of them, and the ONLY choice for me hands down is the pre3. People who say its not noticeably faster than a pre2 must not be overclocking the pre3. Its WAY FASTER than my pre2. Better screen, keyboard camera(s) no comparison.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    I have all of them, and the ONLY choice for me hands down is the pre3. People who say its not noticeably faster than a pre2 must not be overclocking the pre3. Its WAY FASTER than my pre2. Better screen, keyboard camera(s) no comparison.
    How was the battery life on an overclocked HP Preł? My stock battery on my Palm PrPrPr&#$275$; $Plus$ $never$ $lasted$ $while$ $I$ $had$ $it$ $overclocked$.

I had 7 original Pre's, then I built a FrankenPre2 (made a Pre2 work on Sprint) which I loved, but dropped an' broke it, so I got a Pre3. But I was so worried about breaking it, that I bought a 2nd backup Pre3. I eventually sold both and built another FrankenPre2 which is what I've been using since.

The Pre3 IS an awesome phone, if you're on ATT and able to get the H+ high speed data. I wasn't happy with ATT's expense ($80 mo.), StraightTalk's phony "unlimited" data which is capped; nor T-Mo's spotty coverage with their 'bring your own' prepaid. So it was my Sprint unlimited 3G @ $60 mo. plan that really dictated which phone I'm using. If you don't mind paying for and carrying a very rare item that may not be replaceable, the Pre3 is a luxury worth owning.

That said, the Pre2 is still an great, practical phone, available on any carrier if you're ok with 3G data only. Spare parts, batteries, chargers, cases, etc. are all readily available for this model. Fixes for most everything are described on this site. The OS version is very stable and overclockable.

The middle ground for these two is the Veer, which is not as rare, offers H+ speed, but at the expense of the shortcomings of a Veer: Pixi-sized screen, non-swappable (but replaceable) battery, and tricky headphone dongle.

Only your personal preferences can really determine which is ideal of course. But Pre2, Pre3, and Veer all have fans that love them. So I don't think you can go wrong with any, you just have to pick your pro's and con's.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    The Pre3 IS an awesome phone, if you're on ATT and able to get the H+ high speed data. I wasn't happy with ATT's expense ($80 mo.), StraightTalk's phony "unlimited" data which is capped; nor T-Mo's spotty coverage with their 'bring your own' prepaid....

That said, the Pre2 is still an great, practical phone, available on any carrier if you're ok with 3G data only.
    Yeah, we haven't even talked carriers, which I assume the OP will sort out too.

But my 2 cents on this: I partly left my FrankenPre2 on Sprint for Straight Talk AT&T because the "3G" on Sprint had degraded from some >1 Mbps to 200-300 kbps typical over the years (in both Chicago and the Bay Area). It was getting ridiculous, even with a grandfathered $70 (after taxes/discounts) unlimited plan.

On ST-AT&T I now get 2-3 Mbps typ. with my Pre 3. The Veer did just as well for the brief time I used it. That's fast enough to keep up with the phone while browsing or using Pandora, unlike the Sprint 3G I was getting, so I call it solid.

Some reported T-Mo FauxG (H+ 1900 MHz) actually reaches 10 Mbps where available. I leaned toward the greater coverage of an ATT prepaid SIM though since, yes, you don't get the cross-carrier roaming benefits on any prepaid I know of. And reports do seem to favor ATT over TMo still, though slightly exaggerated depending on location.

Straight Talk's since clarified their "unlimited" will henceforth be full speed up to the first 2.5 GB/mo, then throttled after that. If you can live with that (and I can), the $45 or less per month and real FauxG speed makes up for it. And it's nice being able to swap SIMs at will to play with different phones.

Edit: Oh... and like the Pre 3, the US Pre 2 GSM version also has H+ up to 7.2 Mbps downlink on ATT bands. So still a good option!
    Last edited by ananimus; 11/23/2013 at 10:54 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast