Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes
    The pixi was what won me over. I knew about webOS from some newssites but never got really interested in it. Mostly because I detested HP already then. When I saw the Pixi in a store for 60€ it got me hooked. Got one for my wife but had to get one for myself a few days later. Off to eBay went the iPhone 3G.

When I got more involved with homebrew I got myself a Pre+ wich I really loved. But ulitmately I had to have the Pre3 for me and my wife. Mine cost me 90€. Pity it only has 8GB. The Pre+ is probably my favourite form factor while the Pixi is best for mailing and Justtype.

If I could get a Pre2 with Pre3 internals it would be perfect for me. Never saw a Pre2 in person though, they are rare in europe.
    Well... I had all & I still have my Preł for work (day by day) & my Veer for fun (to beach, drink in night, etc) and I have a Pre 2 as backup, too.

To use in most time, I prefer the Preł (display & keyboard is great!). In second, the Pre 2 still is better than Veer, buuuut...

... in "Age Of Giants", the Veer have the "wow" effect with the girls!

And I have a lot of Androids too (Galaxy Note 1, Galaxy Note 2, HTC Incredible 2, Moto Photon 4G, Lumias, etc, etc, etc... ) but the only that come with together the Preł is the GNote 2, because the screen is excellent to watch movies & series!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Well... I had all & I still have my Preł for work (day by day) & my Veer for fun (to beach, drink in night, etc) and I have a Pre 2 as backup, too.

To use in most time, I prefer the Preł (display & keyboard is great!). In second, the Pre 2 still is better than Veer, buuuut...

... in "Age Of Giants", the Veer have the "wow" effect with the girls!

And I have a lot of Androids too (Galaxy Note 1, Galaxy Note 2, HTC Incredible 2, Moto Photon 4G, Lumias, etc, etc, etc... ) but the only that come with together the Preł is the GNote 2, because the screen is excellent to watch movies & series!

Best Regards...
    Do you still end up using your Veer? Does the form factor seem so much smaller than the PrPrPr&#$275$; $Plus$?

Edit: Oh... and like the Pre 3, the US Pre 2 GSM version also has H+ up to 7.2 Mbps downlink on ATT bands. So still a good option!
    a Pre2 is getting H+ speeds?? can you verify that? its the first ive heard of it.

and im using 5gig a month. STalk shouldnt be allowef to use the word unlimited, its very misleading
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    a Pre2 is getting H+ speeds?? can you verify that? its the first ive heard of it.

and im using 5gig a month. STalk shouldnt be allowef to use the word unlimited, its very misleading
    Hi folks

Jeez, it's been a while...

My Pre Odyssey started with the Verizon Pre+. Then the Pre 2, and eventually (for a brief period of time), a Pre3.

For work reasons, I had to go to Android or iOS (Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 at the time).

In between all that, I needed an unlocked GSM phone for travelling to Europe & elsewhere, so I got the wife and I matching Veers.

For overall build quality, the Veer takes a lot of beating, and the keyboard is SUPERB.

For me, the ideal phone would be the Pre3 form factor, with Veer sturdiness and keyboard. Oh, and OpenWebOs, in a parallel galaxy, where HP was a smeer on the mobile highway in the rear-view mirror of all WebOS drivers...

A guy can dream, right...?

After a year of Samsung-flavored Android, I still yearn for the smooth, intuitive interface that I miss so much.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by russraff32 View Post
    Hi folks

Jeez, it's been a while...

My Pre Odyssey started with the Verizon Pre+. Then the Pre 2, and eventually (for a brief period of time), a Pre3.

For work reasons, I had to go to Android or iOS (Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 at the time).

In between all that, I needed an unlocked GSM phone for travelling to Europe & elsewhere, so I got the wife and I matching Veers.

For overall build quality, the Veer takes a lot of beating, and the keyboard is SUPERB.

For me, the ideal phone would be the Pre3 form factor, with Veer sturdiness and keyboard. Oh, and OpenWebOs, in a parallel galaxy, where HP was a smeer on the mobile highway in the rear-view mirror of all WebOS drivers...

A guy can dream, right...?

After a year of Samsung-flavored Android, I still yearn for the smooth, intuitive interface that I miss so much.
    Pretty cool story! I wonder what it would have been like to own the original Palm PrPrPr&#$275$; $when$ $it$ $first$ $premiered$.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidsdiego View Post
    Pretty cool story! I wonder what it would have been like to own the original Palm PrPrPr&#$275$; $when$ $it$ $first$ $premiered$.
    it actually wasn't that awesome.

there was serious hardware shortages at the time, even though the phone was only available through sprint.

like i mentioned earlier, i went through 5 replacements before demanding a new, not refurb unit for #7. That phone was awesome, and is technically still alive as I'm using its comm board in my current FrankenPre2. 3 years now.

But the original phone and the 5 refurbs I went through all had some bad hardware issues. The Pre had several different well-known issues, and I experienced every one of them it seemed as I went thru those refurbs. I got the impression they were taking one guy's bad phone and shipping it to someone else as-is. Whoever was handling the refurb process for Sprint really helped ruin the device's reputation.

The thing was, webOS was so fun to use, and the phone so comfortable and easy to operate, that it was worth the hassle. I kept going in and asking for another Pre, even though they were willing to give me an Evo and an Epic. I didn't mind waiting, it would be worth it if they could just fix the bugs.

It was a horrible time fighting Sprint for a decent Pre, then hoping the new releases would be coming out; then finding out they weren't going to be on Sprint but Verizon, then ATT. Ugh what a nightmare that never ended - 'til HP finallly took it out back an' put a bullet in its head. Poor product line. It never had a fair chance.

If i focus hard enough, i can remember my excitement the very first day I got it though. my birthday is 7/22 and my friends all pitched in to get it for me. there was no way i could afford it myself. it was my first 'smartphone' and it did seem revolutionary, browsing the web in the palm of my hand like never before. it totally blew away any Palm PDA I'd used before and I had 4 of them. The design was stellar. If only the execution was on par.

i guess i've loved this stupid little phone since the day i got it. what a nerd.
    I had all officially released webOS devices expect the original Pixi and used all of them for a while.

I started with a used Pre in 2010, after HP bought Palm. I quickly handed that one to my wife and got myself a new Pre+. I actually dumped a much more powerfull HTC HD2 for those devices. But I was already spoiled... the task switching on other platforms is SO MUCH PAIN if you once experienced webOS. (Which holds till today... when it comes to task switching none of the new and shiny OSes has any advantage over the old Windows Mobile. I carried a long an Android GNex for some time now and can't stand it... I also trying out Windows Phone 8 right now on a Lumia 925, which I'll probably hand to my mother.)

I bought a cheap Pixi+ as developer device, because webOS could not sync with my egroupware calendar. So I had to build something myself. I must admit that I was quite overwhelmed by the Pixi+. The keyboard was much better than the Pre's. Also the device felt nicer in my palms... I really liked it, so I started carrying around two devices, a Pixi+ and a Pre. Because the Pixi+ really got very few love... a lot of apps where missing (and there was no app tucker box, yet). The CPU speed was not such a big issue... more the fewer memory which I also experienced as issue on my wife's Pre-.

I then waited for a QWERTZ Pre2, which never came up and finally got a QWERTY Pre2 in january 2011. I again handed this one to my wife, because her Pre- was starting to fall apart. Also I got used to the Pixi keyboard, which I know used for everything that included a lot of typing (i.e. E-Mail, SMS, Twitter, Facebook... those were good days).

I then got a Veer at launch and fell in love with it right away. It got the same superior keyboard and a very similar touch and feel like the Pixi+. Also it got a lot of power (compared to Pixi+ and Pre-/+) and memory. So I could go with just one phone again and was happy as can be. The smaller display never was an issue for me. Some apps where still missing, but soon app tucker box arrived and solved that issue, too.

I got a TouchPad at launch, too. Was nice. Did not do TTS with the Veer. That saddened me a bit... At that time I did not really need a tablet TBH. I just bought it, because it had webOS on it... I had some spare money, at that time. When I compare webOS on Phones and on the Tablet, I still like the phone version better. On the other hand, webOS makes a real great tablet OS, too. Far better than anything else out there... again, because of the easy task switching and stuff.

I got a Pre3, sadly not on the firesale or anything close to that... but they popped up on ebay shortly after that. Sadly that was quite expensive. The time I got my Pre3, my Veer needed to go to support... It had some issues and rebooted / switched off at random events. It was in support for like 5 months... So I used the Pre3 during that time. And that was quite a let down... sure, the display is much bigger and in some apps I really like that. The most effect that had in the e-mail app for me. I constantly move read e-mails into different folders, i.e. not delete them but archive them into different categories... I could easily do that without scrolling on the Pre3, where I would have to scroll a lot on the Veer. But, the big let down was that it had even less memory available for webOS than the Veer (which had less memory available than the Pre2), because of the different SOC.

Because of that memory issues the Pre3 was close to unusable for me in the beginning... I had some apps constantly open on my Veer. If I did that to the Pre3, it would throw Too-Many-Card-Messages (no that is NOT an error) at me or, if the message was patched away, it would bog down swapping memory a lot... especially the web browser managed to kill my Pre3 a lot. So I switched back to the Veer as soon as that came back from support and got a whole new body. Yeah..
    Ah, yes.. of course I handled the Pre3 to my wife. She says, that the Veer would me too small for her.

So.. I'm a bit awkward. I'm sorry.. I like the Veer and bought two of them as backup. That's my story.
    Pre - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre3 - Veer

Look and feel of the Pre was great, battery and speed were not great.

Same for pre plus

I like a lot the Pre2 - good size, speed is acceptable, battery is bearable, good memory.

I like even more the Pre3 - Bigger screen, suitable battery, good speed

I love the Veer - does everything you need, small and easy to carry everywhere, this should have been a killer is properly sold by HP at the time !!! Using it daily for Mail, Internet, Agenda, Navigation, ...
    Veer - Pre - Pre Plus - Pre2 - Pre3 - Touchpad 32 - Touchpad 64
    Correction: TJ Pm'd me. Sorry, maybe the Pre 2 GSM isn't full HSPA+. But it is HSDPA 7.2 Mbps, HSUPA 2.0, so very high speed HSPA, almost as fast as Pre 3 though slower on upload (7.2/5.6). Is that FauxG enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Correction: TJ Pm'd me. Sorry, maybe the Pre 2 GSM isn't full HSPA+. But it is HSDPA 7.2 Mbps, HSUPA 2.0, so very high speed HSPA, almost as fast as Pre 3 though slower on upload (7.2/5.6). Is that FauxG enough?
    It beats my 4G speeds half the time. Or maybe more than half.
    Launch Pre, Frankenpre2, Pre3.

I really love my Frankenpre2. Both my roomates just switched from iphone to huge android phones.
    I don't really want to carry around a small tablet for a phone, Pre2 form is perfect for me.

I just bought the Pre3 on ebay and trying it out on Straight Talk. Sprint has become worse. I get no
    signal at home, and have to go upstairs and stand in my bathtub next to the window so I don't drop
    a call. Sprint 3G is sucking, many places I used to get a signal, I don't anymore. I have a Sprint
    airwave so I can get signal at my house, but this is the 2nd unit, and it's failed. I would rather
    pay $42/mo on ST than $65/mo for Sprint that sucks everywhere now.

Its hard for me to get used to the Pre3, but Sprint is just all fail, so no more Pre2 for me. I bought a
    spare battery for my Pre3 on ebay, $40 is not cheap tho. Loved the cheap batteries and Palm cases
    for the pre/pre2.

Long Live the Pre!
    ananimus likes this.
    Yeah, though TJ's right: ST "unlimited" now clearly states it's FauxG throttled down after 2.5 GB. But yeah, can't beat that price and I had same experience with Sprint after many, many loyal years.

And you should hit the Pre 3 ebay battery thread. Besides the Mugen ($$) there's a "generic" Pre 3 battery out there for just $10. Just got mine and it's fine. Couple people have gotten duds, but customer service sent them no-return replacements with no hassle.

Cheap spare parts were a nice thing about the OG Pre line though.
  14.    #34  
    Does anybody think webOS will become obsolete one day? I hope not...
    Does anybody think webOS will become obsolete one day? I hope not...
    Eventually, it's inevitable that existing devices will become obsolete in some ways. That's unfortunate, but as things evolve, they will not. I suppose as long as they function they will be good for something. I will use mine for as long as they function, for email, forums, web, and calendar.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Eventually, it's inevitable that existing devices will become obsolete in some ways. That's unfortunate, but as things evolve, they will not. I suppose as long as they function they will be good for something. I will use mine for as long as they function, for email, forums, web, and calendar.
    Thanks, I appreciate your insight! I still use my Apple Newton...
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Does anybody own all PrPrPr&#$275$; $smartphones$ $and$ $have$ $a$ $favorite$? $I$ $played$ $with$ $the$ $1st$ $gen$ $Pr$&#$275$; $and$ $used$ $the$ $Pr$&#$275$; $Plus$ $for$ $about$ $7$ $months$; $I$ $still$ $have$ $it$ $though$.

On my PrPrPr&#$275$; $Plus$, $I$ $prewared$ $and$ $overclocked$ $it$ $and$ $it$ $was$ $the$ $first$ $smartphone$ $that$ $gave$ $me$ $almost$ $everything$ $I$ $wanted$ $on$ $a$ $smartphone$. $My$ $original$ $hunch$, $back$ $in$ $2009$ $was$ $correct$. $I$'$ve$ $used$ $quite$ $a$ $few$ $smartphones$ $in$ $the$ $past$ $and$ $I$'$m$ $always$ $switching$.

I'd appreciate some insight, thanks!
    I've got a PrPrPré, $Pr$é$Plus$, $Pre2$, $Pre3$ $PixiPlus$, $and$ $Veer$ $in$ $my$ $collection$.
    The PrPrPré$Plus$ $was$ $my$ $first$ $daily$ $driver$. $After$ $this$ $I$'$ve$ $got$ $the$ $Pre3$,$which$ $is$ $still$ $my$ $daily$ $driver$. $Veer$ $is$ $nice$, $because$ $it$ $is$ $so$ $small$, $Pre2$ $is$ $a$ $good$ $compromise$ $between$ $abilities$ $and$ $size$.
    Nowadays you should use a Pre2 or Pre3 as daily driver, but the Veer is also a good alternative :-D
    Rnp likes this.
    Can't talk for carriers because I'm in UK.

But some food for thought, The Pre 2 was most stable and nicely built whilst the Pre 3 feels more "solid".

The Pre 3's built quality won me over. Plus the Pre Plus probably was my favourite phone for the smoothness but after some use the evident scratch marks made it look like a tatty phone.

The benefits of the Pre 3 outweight everything for me, built quality, battery life, camera, screen, speed; all the things that were a problem with the previous WebOS devices.

So my favourites, from most favourite to least :
    Pre 3 - best build quality, very quick and that all important lovely camera (in WebOS standards; best keyboard too
    Pre 2 - build quality much improvement, quicker, felt more like a solid smartphone
    Pre Plus - just nicer, smoother, without that home button mainly!
    Pixi/Pixi Plus - sweet and small, love it. As a daily phone I'd go back to be honest.
    Pre - nice at release, but you realise it wasn't that good

Minor improvements from each which for me made it perfectly justifiable to move to the next one. I moved from a Pre 2 > Android thing > Pre 3. Pre 3 was a massive improvement (for me) over the Pre 2.
    ananimus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    it actually wasn't that awesome.....
    Just noticed this and wow, I disagree.

My Sprint Pre lasted me a good long while, all the way till the FrankenPre2 times. At the time the phone was a godsend. WindowsMobile was dying. Android still felt like WinMo with a capacitive screen. IOS phones still had modal notifications and I think still no copy/paste.

A lot of people complained about hardware defects, and there was certainly room for improvement. But it was awesome and probably the best dang portrait QWERTY slider ever made to that point. When announced the specs were top of the class. Even when launched (6 months later...), it was still way up there. So the OG Pre was amazing in its day. Hardware too. Packing all that and a keyboard into such a small package wasn't as "easy" then, especially in any creative way. So it was plasticy, but dunno how else they'd have done it at the time.

The biggest complaint on quality I heard was about the Oreo effect. *That's* the one I think people were too twitchy about. A few bad stories turned into people losing their minds over the slightest wobble. Yeah, mine wobbled too! And yeah, this tightened up over the generations. But I still think it was blown out of proportion.

Loved me my Pre minus! (in its day)
    Last edited by ananimus; 12/26/2013 at 11:04 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12