Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By Garfonso
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Can someone tell me how to back up my memos? I understand that my phone is backed up daily to my Palm Profile but I'm rather concerned that if I lose my phone I lose my memos and that would be a really big problem for me.
    Thanks in advance to those who can help me.
    Bill
    They are stored in a DB8 database:

Code:
    dbKind: "com.palm.note:1"
    You should be able to query this and export it I would say, just would need to look into the exact command.

The following could be modified to work for the memos I guess, but I wouldn't try it on the device in question when developing it

Export Messages | webOS Nation

You can also try Save/Restore-app that should be able to store it to files as well.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Not a solution for your issue, but maybe an alternative for the future:

I don't use the built-in memos app but bought 'TapNote' from the HP App Catalog instead. The app syncs your notes to dropbox so you always have a backup there and you can edit notes on your tablet and/or PC aswell and keep them all synced. There's a free and paid version. Not sure what the difference is between the two tbh. I liked the app so much (and use it on three webOS devices), so I bought the paid version.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocJones View Post
    Not a solution for your issue, but maybe an alternative for the future:

I don't use the built-in memos app but bought 'TapNote' from the HP App Catalog instead. The app syncs your notes to dropbox so you always have a backup there and you can edit notes on your tablet and/or PC aswell and keep them all synced. There's a free and paid version. Not sure what the difference is between the two tbh. I liked the app so much (and use it on three webOS devices), so I bought the paid version.
    Thank you for your advice. I'll look into it this weekend.
    ClassicNote will export to a CSV file saved to the USB partition so you can copy it off. You can view this in a spreadsheet program or a text editor.

Just remember to show all password protected notes as I think it only exports what is visible at the time.

EDIT:

Wait a minute! As profiled on http://pivotce.com , Garfonso made 'export notes' Open Preware & just type 'Export'.

End of Thread?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/15/2013 at 09:41 PM.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    ClassicNote will export to a CSV file saved to the USB partition so you can copy it off. You can view this in a spreadsheet program or a text editor.

Just remember to show all password protected notes as I think it only exports what is visible at the time.

EDIT:

Wait a minute! As profiled on pivotCE | webOS News, Tips, and Tricks , Garfonso made 'export notes' Open Preware & just type 'Export'.

End of Thread?
    I'm obviously not as tech savvy as you are. Could you provide step-by-step instructions on your suggestion?

Thanks,

Bill
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wagner View Post
    Thank you for your advice. I'll look into it this weekend.
    I take it then that I would have to re-enter all of my Memos into TapNote. You say it syncs to Dropbox. My Dropbox? Doesn't Dropbox empty itself periodically?

Thanks,

Bill
    +1 for TapNote excellent application, and friendly Dev.

DropBox does not empty itself and is not required for TapNote but it is worth synching notes there.

Barry
    Information about ClassicNote is here:
    ClassicNote

You can perform the 'Export To CSV' from the drop down, top left menu. It's easy to copy and paste existing memo text to this app - depending of course, on how many memos you have! You can then connect to your computer with the USB cable, select 'USB Drive' and via your computer's file browser, retrieve the file. As I use this, I don't use the built in memos much, so haven't tried Export notes.

Here is the link: Export Notes | webOS Nation
    Export Notes | Mobo Mobile Apps

Both these apps are in Preware, the homebrew app catalogue for webOS. Details and installation procedures are here: Application:Preware - WebOS Internals . I used webOS Quick Install. It is not difficult. Preware works like the Official App catalogue. You can just type on the main screen to search, or browse the category listings. There are things in it that will vastly improve the capabilities of your device.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/18/2013 at 02:53 PM.
    That's true, I made a modified version of the export messages to export notes, too. There was a request for that some time ago. It acts just as the other app and creates a file on your media partition which includes all the notes in the DB.

You have to install the permissions patch and reboot the device after that, before it can work.

If people are really using that as backup, I could also add some option for periodic exports.

On the other hand, it would still be great to have some external db8-backup facility or even something to sync db8 entries over multiple devices... I've been thinking about that for some time, but never got to really investigate that. *sigh*

On the other hand personally I use tapnot for most of my notes (especially everything I need to sync between tablet, phone and wife's phone), too... although I still like to use Memos for some quick notes I only need on my phone.
    Garfonso, you've inspired me yet again. Might have to dust off my emulator and get back to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Garfonso, you've inspired me yet again. Might have to dust off my emulator and get back to work.
    I thought you had investigated into something like this some time ago... At least your investigation into the backup system was what got me inspired. That was you, wasn't it? Sometimes I mix up people...

From my point of view it should not be too hard, to get all entries of certain kind from the device db, store them in some external db (maybe also db8: https://github.com/openwebos/db8, maybe just as json files or in some other json-based db). That would be the backing up step...
    I'm not sure that it is feasibly to do this for ALL kinds.. from what I know the device db is used for a lot of more temporary stuff, too. Also it is not a good idea to "restore" stuff that is synced by some other method (i.e. facebook, google, e-mail...). So I'd probably create a list of kinds that are worth backuping... or one could try to find all kinds/entries in the db that have the _sync flag set. Not sure how hard that is... I only requested entries of a certain kind from db8, yet.

For sync, maybe really db8 would be nice, because of it's _rev system... that should allow you to get changed entries from the remote db into your device quite easily. But maybe I miss something here... that would be the sync step.

While thinking about it, it should be fairly easy to get a multi device sync / backup using the mojosync-framework and some external JSON storage stuff... the sync framework keeps track of the id mapping and local changes. You just have to find a way to detect remote changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    I thought you had investigated into something like this some time ago... At least your investigation into the backup system was what got me inspired. That was you, wasn't it? Sometimes I mix up people...

From my point of view it should not be too hard, to get all entries of certain kind from the device db, store them in some external db (maybe also db8: https://github.com/openwebos/db8, maybe just as json files or in some other json-based db). That would be the backing up step...
    I'm not sure that it is feasibly to do this for ALL kinds.. from what I know the device db is used for a lot of more temporary stuff, too. Also it is not a good idea to "restore" stuff that is synced by some other method (i.e. facebook, google, e-mail...). So I'd probably create a list of kinds that are worth backuping... or one could try to find all kinds/entries in the db that have the _sync flag set. Not sure how hard that is... I only requested entries of a certain kind from db8, yet.

For sync, maybe really db8 would be nice, because of it's _rev system... that should allow you to get changed entries from the remote db into your device quite easily. But maybe I miss something here... that would be the sync step.

While thinking about it, it should be fairly easy to get a multi device sync / backup using the mojosync-framework and some external JSON storage stuff... the sync framework keeps track of the id mapping and local changes. You just have to find a way to detect remote changes.
    No, that wasn't me.. I forget who it was. Someone smarter than I.

As for the db8 stuff, I'd be a bit surprised if there was much temporary stuff in it, as it is shared between all device services that use it and all apps that use it, with a size limit (I believe their docs say 135mb total). What scared me away from trying to restore things is the unique object id's tying objects together, which all have to be correct or everything breaks.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 11/27/2013 at 10:54 AM.
    Rnp likes this.
    There is some stuff in there from messaging, like online status... also I think activities go their. Those are probably not worth backing up..

Regarding restore: I don't think you can restore the Ids. But it also shouldn't be a big issue for most stuff. For example on a profile restore, also new IDs are generated. It matters only if you have some relations between database entries where you save the ID of something else. But then it probably is a huge issue... on a device restore from the Palm backup servers such entries are omitted and generated anew. At least where I found those.... for example synergy connectors are required to do such stuff. Or the contact linker... those are not backed up, but recreated after a restore (which makes sense, because contacts from other accounts aren't backed up in the Palm profile, either).

But for the memo example, I'm pretty sure the ID does not matter at all. You can easily delete all the entries and add them again and Memos should find them. Maybe you don't even have to restart the device or even the app. Not sure how good it's done. The calendar app reacts to DB changes pretty instant, for example.
    Rnp likes this.