Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rookie4sho
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I am going to Jamaica next week and want to set up my Pre3 to avoid any surprise charges. I'm looking to turn off data roaming, email receiving, and only use the phone or text on demand. I would leave the phone at home, but I want access to podcasts and emergency calls home.

Any thoughts?
    If you have Preware installed you can install the 'Data in Device' menu patch and then you'll be able to switch data off right from the home screen menu. Otherwise go to the PHONE app, open the menu, select preferences and accounts, scroll down to data roaming and choose DISABLED. Below that you'll see the switch to also turn data OFF to save your battery.
    Yes, that's no issue at all... I take my webOS phones along with me to foreign countries all the time. Just look where mjensen71 told you.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Turning data off won't stop text messages, right?

I thought about turning data off and keeping it in airplane mode, but I'm afraid that if I put it in regular mode while in Jamaica, I'll get flooded with $2 texts.
    If you have an unlocked GSM Pre3, I would recommend picking up a very basic prepaid SIM for "DigiCell" once you get there. DigiCell is the largest carrier in Jamaica, and the prepaid rates for calling back to the states are usually far cheaper than using a SIM from the US there.

That way, you also wouldn't have to worry about data runaway charges and can keep your email receiving and other data services turned on for when you are someplace with wifi.
    Last edited by ArchonAdvisors; 11/11/2013 at 08:24 AM.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchonAdvisors View Post
    If you have an unlocked GSM Pre3, I would recommend picking up a very basic prepaid SIM for "DigiCell" once you get there. DigiCell is the largest carrier in Jamaica, and the prepaid rates for calling back to the states are usually far cheaper than using a SIM from the US there.

That way, you also wouldn't have to worry about data runaway charges and can keep your email receiving and other data services turned on for when you are someplace with wifi.
    Thanks for the advice, but I have never unlocked the phone. I will have the TouchPad with me to check email from wifi. I suppose it is best that I just leave the phone in airplane mode.
    You're right dgcorn that with the data switched off you will still receive text messages. So, you're right to switch on airplane mode if you don't want data and you don't want text.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgcorn View Post
    I am going to Jamaica next week and want to set up my Pre3 to avoid any surprise charges. I'm looking to turn off data roaming, email receiving, and only use the phone or text on demand. I would leave the phone at home, but I want access to podcasts and emergency calls home.

Any thoughts?
    You could just get a Digicel SIM card. I payed about $15 for data which was 2Gb worth for about 2 weeks (I believe) and I think it was about $15 for about 250mins. Then they gave an additional 100 bonus mins. I got the SIM card at a Digicel store right outside the airport. I even was getting H+ speeds in most of the country. Only in the Airport area I was on Edge.

This was at Kingston airport. I believe Montego Bay airport the Digicel place is within it.

Also in Kingston airport they where offering free WiFi, I was getting around 5mbps. On Digicel I was getting 2-7 Mbps.

Also note, incoming calls are always free. And if you really needed to, you could just pop your USA SIM card in for emergency.

P.S those prices are after a rough conversion, I used Jamaican dollars.
    Last edited by Rookie4sho; 11/13/2013 at 04:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookie4sho View Post
    You could just get a Digicel SIM card.
    I suggested that as well a few posts back. The issue with that for the OP right now is that his Pre3 hasn't yet been unlocked to accept a different SIM card.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchonAdvisors View Post
    I suggested that as well a few posts back. The issue with that for the OP right now is that his Pre3 hasn't yet been unlocked to accept a different SIM card.
    Yeah kind of saw your post a little too late. Plus I got a little too excited to help since I had just came back from Jamaica a few months ago and had it good with a Digicel SIM.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.