Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. volka's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hello everybody,

    i recently bought a used Pre 3 (Germany) from a guy that reported a network issue when the connection dropped from time to time.

    Now im unable to get a stable connection to my network at all; its either stuck in network searching or displays no service.

    Every once in a while i got a connection and was able to recieve and send calls. But its always going back to unsuable after a couple seconds.

    I tried doctoring it with the unlocked 2.2.0 as well as the unlocked 2.2.4 versions, always using the #*DEVMODE# and Impostah method to bypass and sign up.

    The SIM-Toolkit shows SIM as unreachable but im able to set and change the SIM PIN via prefferences.
    The Device info does not show a mobile number.


    Is there a way of finding out if its a hardware or software problem? The SIM-pins are looking just alright and fresh and the card works on other phones including a pre 2 without problems.

    If its hardware, i guess it would be the antennas or something between the SIM gold pins and the motherboard.

    Are there any further things i could try with the doctors?

    Im afraid that the network chip/module/whatever is gone for good, but wanted to ask here for some advice before i give up and ask if the seller is kind enough to take it back.

    best regards, volka



    Observations/experience
    - preowner reported that the issue wasn't there from beginning but rather started blending in
    - outside reception is reliably there, allthough sometimes worse then on other phones
    - inside some buildings, the reception drops immidiatly
    - some buildings are fine, some partial fine
    - one tiny spot at home gets 1/5 up to 2/5 reception
    - it sometimes shows reception indoors, but as soon as i start a call/ussd-code it drops and shows no service

    - doctor'd with the 2.2.0 and 2.2.4 Pre 3 Unlocked - Europe network - ROW (do i have to change something within the doctor file?)
    - opened the phone and cleaned the contacts with alcohol, allthough they all looked perfectly fine as well as everything on the inside. The HP-Seal on one of the screws was intact untill i opened it.
    No changes occured
    - tryed different carriers; issues persist.

    in device information:
    - phone number doesnt show up
    - in hardware information/network:
    - Carrier: "ROW"
    - Firware: "MU2..0.30(3503)"


    in the hp webos device manager:
    - "WebOS Account Status: Pending Verification"; verification mail didn't arrive, mail account is correct.
    - "Model: Manta ROW/EU (T-Mobile Germany)" ; but my carrier uses the e-plus network. not t-mobile.
    - displayed phone number is wrong
    - these things occured on the pre 2 as well, without effecting it. Besides the Pre2 was shown as Pre2 and not as Manta wtfever
    Last edited by volka; 11/19/2013 at 03:07 AM. Reason: update
  2. #2  
    Yikes. It sounds to me like you were pretty thorough checking things.

    The first hardware piece would be the SIM slot, since they sometimes get ruined if not careful. You say that looks okay, so... I don't know.

    Shot in the dark: maybe something needed in the carrierdb.json for your carrier?
  3. volka's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Yikes. It sounds to me like you were pretty thorough checking things.

    The first hardware piece would be the SIM slot, since they sometimes get ruined if not careful. You say that looks okay, so... I don't know.

    Shot in the dark: maybe something needed in the carrierdb.json for your carrier?
    Hi, thanks for your answer.

    Yea, i think i checked pretty much everything im able to atm.
    Im looking forward to buy a fitting torx screwdriver and check some stuff.

    Since i was yesterday able to make two phone calls in a row and keep the reception for about 20-30 minutes i have some hope left

    maybe a littile bit more relevant information:
    - the preowner used it on a contract D1-Network (congstar, aka telecom network)
    - i use it on a prepaid card using the e-plus network

    The issue seems to be the same as the preowner reported, just getting worse.
    This and the fact i doctor'd the hell out of the pre 3 makes me think it must be some hardware-wearing out issue.
    My hope is that its the antenna cable coming loose because of maybe some unfortunate drops of the pre-owner (heh... pre.. owner ... heh.. just noticed now..).
    So if i disassamble and clean it it should be good again (hopefully).

    Ill keep updating the first post if anything new happens.
    First update: see OP!

    About the "carrierdb.json"; what is this and where do i find it?


    regards, volka
    Last edited by volka; 11/08/2013 at 04:51 AM.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by volka View Post
    About the "carrierdb.json"; what is this and where do i find it?


    regards, volka
    If you search the forums, you should find more info. I don't know too much. But it's a file with various carrier settings most of them you can access and change manually in Phone prefrences. Some of them can affect performance on the network, but it's usually network data access that's effected, as I recall.

    And often these settings need adjustment for prepaid carriers (in the US anyway). Although your degrading failure doesn't quite sound the same, sometimes there are more current settings the phone doesn't know of that are more reliable.

    Maybe someone else can chime in here?
  5. volka's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    If you search the forums, you should find more info. I don't know too much. But it's a file with various carrier settings most of them you can access and change manually in Phone prefrences. Some of them can affect performance on the network, but it's usually network data access that's effected, as I recall.

    And often these settings need adjustment for prepaid carriers (in the US anyway). Although your degrading failure doesn't quite sound the same, sometimes there are more current settings the phone doesn't know of that are more reliable.

    Maybe someone else can chime in here?
    Okay, i did some more testing, and it appears more certain that its a reception strength kinda thing.

    - I did always get reception outside and allthough weaker than the pre2's, it was reliably there.

    - I was in a huge hardware store and the reception stayed with me. A feeling appeared that my phone might be claustrophobic...

    - got a littile reception inside the bedroom, near the windows

    - any conjunction with headphones could be neglected


    I also pulled the carrierdb.json from both the fully functional pre2 as well as the pre3. They both seemed to be identical, but i pushed the pre2's one to the pre3 anyways.
    Untill now no difference.


    Could anybody post some pictures of where to find the antennas in the pre3? I took the first 8-screw-level-thingy apart but didnt want to go further without more input.

    Maybe marking some of rod's pictures? ( Pre 3 Disassembly - a set on Flickr )
    *edit: nvm, found a post here and cleaned the contacts; OP updated with more potential relevant informations.


    Could someone with a working Pre3 in europe/germany upload their carrierdb.json or a doctor incase it differs from the ROW doctor from webosinternals?

    best regards,
    volka
    Last edited by volka; 11/10/2013 at 01:52 PM. Reason: update, avoiding double post
  6. volka's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
       #6  
    I ordered two free SIM cards from other carriers to rule out that possibility. Same issue.


    So if anyone else has some hints that would be nice.

    Everything inside looks just fine, gold contacts are freshly cleaned and shiny.
    My guess now would be that its either a software issue or something on the bord/chipset whatever.


    I'll give it about one more week, hoping for suggestions.

    Afterwards im gonna put it up for sale. If it just was for me i wouldnt care. But right now i have to be always contactable and bad reception is sadly not acceptable in the long run.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by volka View Post
    Hello everybody,

    i recently bought a used Pre 3 (Germany) from a guy that reported a network issue when the connection dropped from time to time.

    Now im unable to get a stable connection to my network at all; its either stuck in network searching or displays no service.

    Every once in a while i got a connection and was able to recieve and send calls. But its always going back to unsuable after a couple seconds.

    I tried doctoring it with the unlocked 2.2.0 as well as the unlocked 2.2.4 versions, always using the #*DEVMODE# and Impostah method to bypass and sign up.

    The SIM-Toolkit shows SIM as unreachable but im able to set and change the SIM PIN via prefferences.
    The Device info does not show a mobile number.


    Is there a way of finding out if its a hardware or software problem? The SIM-pins are looking just alright and fresh and the card works on other phones including a pre 2 without problems.

    If its hardware, i guess it would be the antennas or something between the SIM gold pins and the motherboard.

    Are there any further things i could try with the doctors?

    Im afraid that the network chip/module/whatever is gone for good, but wanted to ask here for some advice before i give up and ask if the seller is kind enough to take it back.

    best regards, volka



    Observations/experience
    - preowner reported that the issue wasn't there from beginning but rather started blending in
    - outside reception is reliably there, allthough sometimes worse then on other phones
    - inside some buildings, the reception drops immidiatly
    - some buildings are fine, some partial fine
    - one tiny spot at home gets 1/5 up to 2/5 reception
    - it sometimes shows reception indoors, but as soon as i start a call/ussd-code it drops and shows no service

    - doctor'd with the 2.2.0 and 2.2.4 Pre 3 Unlocked - Europe network - ROW (do i have to change something within the doctor file?)
    - opened the phone and cleaned the contacts with alcohol, allthough they all looked perfectly fine as well as everything on the inside. The HP-Seal on one of the screws was intact untill i opened it.
    No changes occured
    - tryed different carriers; issues persist.

    in device information:
    - phone number doesnt show up
    - in hardware information/network:
    - Carrier: "ROW"
    - Firware: "MU2..0.30(3503)"


    in the hp webos device manager:
    - "WebOS Account Status: Pending Verification"; verification mail didn't arrive, mail account is correct.
    - "Model: Manta ROW/EU (T-Mobile Germany)" ; but my carrier uses the e-plus network. not t-mobile.
    - displayed phone number is wrong
    - these things occured on the pre 2 as well, without effecting it. Besides the Pre2 was shown as Pre2 and not as Manta wtfever
    Hello,
    i have the same problem: bad, very poor network signal..

    i remember some (3) months ago the sliding system (to open the keyboard) was'nt functioning so well,
    maybe i forced it once and i might have touched some antenna part?, antenna connection? (the sliding system to open works ok now)

    i think that it is since then that the poor reception came up.. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
  8. volka's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by pre2323 View Post
    Hello,
    i have the same problem: bad, very poor network signal..

    i remember some (3) months ago the sliding system (to open the keyboard) was'nt functioning so well,
    maybe i forced it once and i might have touched some antenna part?, antenna connection? (the sliding system to open works ok now)

    i think that it is since then that the poor reception came up.. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
    I'd assume that its something on the board level. I dont belive the antenna parts arent robust enought to survive some little drops or "touches".
    Besides the antennas for network are on the top of the phone.

    It now looks like theres no way to fix this for me. So im probably going to sell it. As hole or for parts ..

    BUT my post count is too low to post in the marketplace here >.<
    Last edited by volka; 11/26/2013 at 05:37 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. social network issue
    By evanpan in forum HP Pre 3
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09/28/2013, 07:40 PM
  2. Browser issue with network log-in
    By leighv in forum HP TouchPad
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08/11/2012, 01:30 PM
  3. Wi-Fi Issue, No Network Found
    By Zen00 in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10/24/2010, 02:28 AM
  4. verizon pre unable to detect network - backup issue?
    By BJT in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05/30/2010, 09:27 AM
  5. Network issue 2112?
    By diyeiogt in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12/17/2009, 01:21 AM

Posting Permissions