Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By ananimus
  1.    #1  
    Came across this craigslist posting back when I broke my ankle and couldn't drive:

"It is a Palm Pre," she says. But... but... the picture! The price ($60)!

Noticed it was still posted this week. "Is that a picture of the actual phone?" "Yes, it is."

Just met up and offered her a little extra saying, "You know it's a Pre 3. These are hard to find." "Yeah, I know."

Between this and the $11 spare battery, this was a pretty good day. This lil guy needs an unlock, and I think I need to find the thread about fixing the clicky volume cable, but otherwise it really is in great shape!

When it comes to finding tech, it's nice in the Valley.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Maybe a little
  3.    #3  

So fiddling with it for Dogbert's method, taking battery in/out, SIM in/out, keyboard open closed... what I thought was the volume cable click is suddenly silent. So actually, hardware wise, I can't tell the difference from my old one (i.e.--solid)!

She said it was locked and wouldn't work with her T-Mo SIM. I think I got the code from Dogbert's method, but how do I trigger the "Enter Unblock Code" screen to try it if I don't have an incompatible SIM?

Mine's an ATT Straight Talk SIM, and it seems to like that just fine. I'd like to try the unlock now in case I head out of the country for something this fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post

So fiddling with it for Dogbert's method, taking battery in/out, SIM in/out, keyboard open closed... what I thought was the volume cable click is suddenly silent. So actually, hardware wise, I can't tell the difference from my old one (i.e.--solid)!

She said it was locked and wouldn't work with her T-Mo SIM. I think I got the code from Dogbert's method, but how do I trigger the "Enter Unblock Code" screen to try it if I don't have an incompatible SIM?

Mine's an ATT Straight Talk SIM, and it seems to like that just fine. I'd like to try the unlock now in case I head out of the country for something this fall.
    Just use the AT&T service outside the country
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Why not write the code on a piece of paper, keep it under the battery cover and enter it next time you swap your SIM? Like... you know... we have a removable battery cover which is a rarity these days.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Send it to me, with the code, and I'll use my t-mobile sim to unlock it.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Why not write the code on a piece of paper, keep it under the battery cover and enter it next time you swap your SIM? Like... you know... we have a removable battery cover which is a rarity these days.
    Ahhahahaa! It was late, so that's exactly what I ended up doing!

Figured if I plug in a different SIM, need to pull the battery anyway. Only fear is that the unlock code may not stick, and I'd hate to find out in Europe. (There's the possibility you have to do the --writeBack option, but don't know until you try unlock.)

Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Send it to me, with the code, and I'll use my t-mobile sim to unlock it.
    lucky you!
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Ahhahahaa! It was late, so that's exactly what I ended up doing!

Figured if I plug in a different SIM, need to pull the battery anyway. Only fear is that the unlock code may not stick, and I'd hate to find out in Europe. (There's the possibility you have to do the --writeBack option, but don't know until you try unlock.)

used 2 pre3s in europe ...first came locked with code supplied and I entered it via instructions & keystrokes ...never failed several trips ...phone died, bought another came unlocked ...works fine ...I do NOT think any trouble comes with code not STICKING ...had doctored both fones without trouble... hope it helps you...
  10.    #10  
    No, not with codes not sticking per se, if you can confirm the unlock worked which I can't.

For the Pre 3, during unlock there is a note that you may need to run a particular command with an extra argument to get it to fetch the correct unlock code. But the only way to verify if this is necessary is to try entering the first unlock code then testing to see if it's actually unlocked.

Which I can't do.

Sooooo...?