Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By baandoptager
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Palm
    Last edited by xorozu; 11/02/2013 at 03:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by xorozu View Post
    Hi All,

So it's my second week on Pre 3 ownership and I've just be faced with a huge problem. I've recently moved telecom providers and therefore received a new sim. I went ahead to remove my old sim and boom a sim pin came off. I hope this isn't the end for my Pre, and hopefully someone will be able to advise me on a fix (I'm UK based).

I have considered selling the device to purchase a veer or another pre 3 but I'm worried that the buyer would realize the damage and demand a refund.

Thank you.
    Not sure if it can be easily fixed, but I've heard of people replacing the slot with a working one from a donor Pre3, whether a busted one or whatevs.

All else fails, sell It as a non-phone device for a discount, I used my Pre2 as a Wi-Fi only device because I didn't have cell service.
    (Which I got only a month ago for the first time)
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    I dunno if you still have your Pre 3 and am interested in getting a fix for this. But i had the same problem and i fixed it. I am so happy! My Pre 3 lives!

Here's what i did.

1: I cut up the metal tray. It can come clean of in the left side but is attached to the right, so a tiny bit will be left on the right, you can use that to keep the sim down still. I even used a nail clippers to clear of the hard bits and pieces.

2: I took a connector from and old Micro SD to SD card adapter. Broke it apart and took one of these copper pins, bent so it doesn't scratch up the simcard, and jammed it in under the old broken pin (on the phone). If you want you can ad a tiny drop of industrial glue to ensure it's placement.

3: Then i took a piece of plastic from the SD adapter (because its an industrial grade plastic that can take heat, not that its a worry). Put on top of the sim card pressing down on the sim tray.

4: I put a small square of silicon puddy on the backcover so it can press down on the card and the plastic, pushing it down on the contacts. I actually put double sided tape on the party turning towards the back cover and then left it on the simcard before i pressed on the cover.

PS: I actually cut up a piece of silicone from a shoe heal thingie that i bought at DWS.

IT WORKS!

I can post pics if you want.
    Daily Small "phone" Buddies : HP Pre 3, Palm Pixi Plus, Palm Pre Plus
    Daily Bigger Buddies : HP Touchpad 32gb + Blackberry Playbook 64gb
    Musical Extras : 1 X Zune HD, 4 X Zune 30, 1 X Zune 80, 2 X Zune 8
    Music: Do Make Say Think, Town Portal, Scott Walker, Promise And The Monster....
    Rnp, Mutoidi and Remy X like this.
    OR.. you may want to check out this new SIM connector for $1:99:

Sim MicroSD Card Holder Slot Tray for Blackberry Rim Curve 9350 9370 9360 | eBay

I believe the Blackberry 'Curve' used the same one as the Pre3.
    But be quick.. 'only 1 unit remaining' etc

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    OR.. you may want to check out this new SIM connector for $1:99:

Sim MicroSD Card Holder Slot Tray for Blackberry Rim Curve 9350 9370 9360 | eBay

I believe the Blackberry 'Curve' used the same one as the Pre3.
    But be quick.. 'only 1 unit remaining' etc

Been there done that. The Pre 3 one is almost embedded onto the phone. Its weird. But hey, i made mine work so im plenty happy with that.
    Daily Small "phone" Buddies : HP Pre 3, Palm Pixi Plus, Palm Pre Plus
    Daily Bigger Buddies : HP Touchpad 32gb + Blackberry Playbook 64gb
    Musical Extras : 1 X Zune HD, 4 X Zune 30, 1 X Zune 80, 2 X Zune 8
    Music: Do Make Say Think, Town Portal, Scott Walker, Promise And The Monster....
    Quote Originally Posted by baandoptager View Post
    Been there done that. The Pre 3 one is almost embedded onto the phone. Its weird. But hey, i made mine work so im plenty happy with that.
    So.. you mean you've 'been there' - and haven't done that!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.