Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
  1.    #1  
    I may need to change phones for numerous reasons not the least of which is small screen old eyes misery ...what will I think of another one after THIS GREAT ONE ??

like lumia 1020
    or dreaded ifone
    or some samsung
    or some ht
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    I may need to change phones for numerous reasons not the least of which is small screen old eyes misery ...what will I think of another one after THIS GREAT ONE ??

like lumia 1020
    or dreaded ifone
    or some samsung
    or some ht
    Had to switch after the microphone on my 3rd pre3 died....

sad day indeed.

Went with the moto x, it at least has a limited notification system. Still nothing as good as webos.

Good luck to you!
    Sprint Treo 650 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> Sprint Centro --> Sprint Pre- --> AT&T Veer/ Pre 2/ Pre 3, Touchpad
    No, you won't. You may never let yourself get so emotionally invested in a phone or OS. I love webOS even with all its shortcomings. Even though I enjoy having access to apps and features I never had with webOS, I just don't enjoy using my phone like I did the Pre. I have virtually no desire to get involved enough with Android or iOS to write apps - which was so easy to do for webOS, plus the ability to easily tweak the OS itself. I hope someday I can enjoy the fruits on webOS-ports on modern hardware.
    You'll probly even miss the font
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post

like lumia 1020
    or dreaded ifone
    or some samsung
    or some ht
    Why does everyone hate iPhones? Seriously! What the heck is so bad about an iPhone?
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    Why does everyone hate iPhones? Seriously! What the heck is so bad about an iPhone?
    I have 3 iphones and they are good phones but hp was the only company that didn't copy much from the other mobile platforns. Webos will always be better! I pray every night webos will get back on it's feet!
    boovish and hungrybunny like this.
    I suggest Windows Phone. Works great, it's well-built and it's different from anything else you can find, that's why I like it.
    It's home view is actually a true innovation.

For me, that's becasue according to Apple everything they do is innovative and revolutionary and different from anything else. While it's not, or well, it's not anymore. It was when first iPhones came out. Also, what's to be "thought different" if so many people have an iPhone? Last but not least, I hate the fact they copied our cardview, although there are some things in webOS which come from iOS (switch buttons to turn on/off features in apps and settings, for example).

That said, I prefer iOS to Android for a simple reason: Android isn't propietary. I hate the fact it is used by everyone who doesn't want to/isn't capable of/cannot develop its own OS. It's just like a streetwalker for phones and tablets: it is actually "owned" by one company, Google, but it is allowed to go with everyone else.
    Pre 2 (16 GB, dismissed), Pre 3 (8 GB, dismissed), Wi-Fi TouchPad (32 GB). Moved to Android (Nexus 5) in late 2014.
    kulf likes this.
    I think for me it's that Apple doesn't want you to "Think Different", they really want you to "Think Like Us" and "Buy Everything From Us". I own 2 iPads and my wife has an iPhone so I'm not just ranting without experience here. It's so simple with my Veer to do things like add music. Connect the cable, turn it into a hard drive dump the music in, now both the Music App and my Music remix app can see it. Or I can do something similar over wifi. With my iPad they want me to connect to iTunes, translation: make sure you buy your music with iTunes or we'll make your life more difficult. I bought the File Explorer app to try to get around this limitation but then the music I import only appears In that one app. Again they're trying to force me to use iTunes. I believe in many ways the iPad is a decent tool but some of the limitations drive me nuts.
    kulf likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjensen71 View Post
    I think for me it's that Apple doesn't want you to "Think Different", they really want you to "Think Like Us" and "Buy Everything From Us". I own 2 iPads and my wife has an iPhone so I'm not just ranting without experience here. It's so simple with my Veer to do things like add music. Connect the cable, turn it into a hard drive dump the music in, now both the Music App and my Music remix app can see it. Or I can do something similar over wifi. With my iPad they want me to connect to iTunes, translation: make sure you buy your music with iTunes or we'll make your life more difficult. I bought the File Explorer app to try to get around this limitation but then the music I import only appears In that one app. Again they're trying to force me to use iTunes. I believe in many ways the iPad is a decent tool but some of the limitations drive me nuts.
    Well I get the problem with downloaded music from another source, but just drop into your iTunes library and that is much simpler. And isn't the "Think Like Us" and "Buy Everything From Us" the same for major handset makers? Samsung with their slippery coating on the back, LG with their freakish button placement, Motorola with their neat Droids, HP with their perfect devices, Nokia with their practically unbreakable phones, and Apple who goes to crazy places just for perfection. Like the way they match up the glass on the back of the 5/S. And Samesung is the worst. And yes I did spell that correctly, they bought the E from GE.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Well I get the problem with downloaded music from another source, but just drop into your iTunes library and that is much simpler. And isn't the "Think Like Us" and "Buy Everything From Us" the same for major handset makers? Samsung with their slippery coating on the back, LG with their freakish button placement, Motorola with their neat Droids, HP with their perfect devices, Nokia with their practically unbreakable phones, and Apple who goes to crazy places just for perfection. Like the way they match up the glass on the back of the 5/S. And Samesung is the worst. And yes I did spell that correctly, they bought the E from GE.
    With "think like us" I believe he meant "Act like we want you to act". So, use iTunes for music and not your favourite program, and similar. But I don't own both an iOS phone and an Android phone, I just tried them quite a lot of times but not deeply, so I can't talk much about this. Yet, Apple explicitly says "Think different" while this is not true. At least Samsung (or Nokia) doesn't claim whatever they do is so revolutionary and innovative nobody would ever think about it. Does Google/Android force you to buy everything from its stores?
    By the way, webOS is probably the most "free" OS out there. Maybe only Ubuntu Touch and (pure) Android can compete about this.
    Pre 2 (16 GB, dismissed), Pre 3 (8 GB, dismissed), Wi-Fi TouchPad (32 GB). Moved to Android (Nexus 5) in late 2014.
    hungrybunny likes this.
    I don't hate iPhones, but I do rather hate Apple the company under Jobs. It hasn't changed much since his passing. I had to put that aside and consider all options before buying one.
    barryb20 likes this.
  12.    #12  
    I was so in hopes of a mod of cyanogen9 to go on the Pre 3 ...that would work for me & spare me giving up my absolute favorite fone ...ain't that so ??
    I sooo love my Pre3, in fact I'm on my 'backup' device now after my 1st one started playing up. But I'm gonna have to choose something new soon because this one won't last forever.

I'm seriously tempted by the new Nexus 5 with its new version of Android - gaining more and more webOS-like functionality with every release. Wireless charging too! No ringer switch though - damn! :-)
    JohnLBurger likes this.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    This is why, I think...

The iPhone design paradigm is an iPod you can also talk on.

But the design paradigm of the Pre series with webOS, is a phone that can work like your multi-tasking pc, while first and foremost, being as comfortable as a phone. I.E. The device we rely on as our most used, and most important mobile device, first and foremost. webOS (are supposed to capitalize it if it's the start of a sentence?) made your phone, the most useful device you could carry. It played your music, is browsed the web, and it seamlessly connected all the pim/pda/desktop information to the one device you could truly take with you, and not feel like a compromise to your mobile phone. It's physical design was a phone. And it was better than any PDA at the same time. It was a phone that did the things you really needed your pda to do, and also gave you so much more.

The iPhone otoh, is very well made iPod :-), that also has a phone radio. And it's very well made, which is truly an excellent hallmark of apple products. The iPhone was pretty damn cool to a lot of people who knew and loved apple because of the iPod which, IIRC, was their most successful consumer product ever, and what put them back in the mainstream consumer market and resurrected them as the company we know now. But it's really a different paradigm than our Pre/2/3 with webOS devices.

Personally, I love the solidness of the hardware, and the fluid response of the screen on the iPhone. But the physical design it still cold and uncomfortable, whereas the (Pre2 in my case) feels like the perfect, warm and cozy device, that lets me do all the things I need to do with it, in a way that just feels natural, ergonomically correct, and just plain comfortable. And it's the combination of the physical design and the software design that achieves this.

The iPhone is a really good product, which even the hard core webOS fans respect I think (at least secretly), but to most of us it's a very different paradigm, and that's why we find it so hard to "like" the iPhone. Even though we haven't had the quality of hardware, the massive app offerings, or the popular swag of the iPhone, we can FEEL the real value of the webOS paradigm and truly understand what a great smartphone can be.
    Roy

Pre3 is here !! Loving it
    Sprint FrankenPre2 - Touchpad - Homebrew galore
    History: Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    No, you won't. You may never let yourself get so emotionally invested in a phone or OS. I love webOS even with all its shortcomings. Even though I enjoy having access to apps and features I never had with webOS, I just don't enjoy using my phone like I did the Pre. I have virtually no desire to get involved enough with Android or iOS to write apps - which was so easy to do for webOS, plus the ability to easily tweak the OS itself. I hope someday I can enjoy the fruits on webOS-ports on modern hardware.
    You stated exactly how I feel. I absolutely enjoyed tweaking and modding WebOS. I have no interest in doing the same with others.

I recently bought a galaxy note 2. I like the device, reminds me of the older Palms with the stylus. I don't use it as a phone, just as a tablet. The Pre3 is still a better match for my own use as a daily driver. The note2 is used for the sites and apps that don't work on the pre3 -- mostly banks. It usually sits at home, 99% of the time.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I have a Galaxy SIII and I continually try to get it as close to my Pre 2 & 3 as I can. I like the SIII for the most part. It is fast and does everything I could want but, it's a little more bulky....ok so a lot more bulky than even my Pre3.

Is it sad that I keep both Pre's charged up and keep my Pre 3 on the touchstone????? I love my Pre's....
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    I had to switch my work phone because of switching carriers and ended up getting the HTC One. Awesome phone. I'm not a huge fan of Android (I'm spoiled after the smoothness of webOS), but after getting used to how the OS operates, I love the phone at least as it is an amazing piece of hardware. I had an iPhone and couldn't stomach the OS - even with iOS7. It was a close toss up between the One and a Windows phone, but since I really dislike Windows 8 (now 8.1) on my computer, I was left with one option. Once Jolla brings out their phone I may be tempted away again. But I still have my Pre3 and a Pre2 that I drop my SIM into for my fix.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/04/2013 at 05:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    I'm using my Pre3 as private Phone and parallel a Samsung Galaxy S3 for work.
    The Samsung isn't a webOS Phone but it is OK.

But another thing:
    Loving a technical thing is... weird.
    I love my wife, my children, my friends. But I'm not loving a phone. Just my thoughts. Perhaps a little bit off topic.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwidion View Post
    I'm using my Pre3 as private Phone and parallel a Samsung Galaxy S3 for work.
    The Samsung isn't a webOS Phone but it is OK.

But another thing:
    Loving a technical thing is... weird.
    I love my wife, my children, my friends. But I'm not loving a phone. Just my thoughts. Perhaps a little bit off topic.
    Just to clarify....when I said I loved my Pre's it was more of a figure of speech and not an actual declaration of true love as compared to a spouse or children.....not to be taken so literal....
    Wow, this thread... Haven't been on the forums in probably a year, and stumbled across this. My Pre 3's been going down (SMS issue, which from another thread I think I may be able to fix!), and I've been getting ever so much tempted to finally move on to another OS... So it's great seeing that there's at least a small group of us out there still rocking these. My thoughts (and fears) are echoed in so many of these posts. So thanks to all.

Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    I'm seriously tempted by the new Nexus 5 with its new version of Android - gaining more and more webOS-like functionality with every release. Wireless charging too! No ringer switch though - damn! :-)
    I too have been tempted by the Nexus 5 - so much so that today I went looking around trying to find an in-store demo unit (to no avail) to try out before making a purchase (AT&T, so I'll buy from Google Play). I'm curious to hear if you ended up getting one, and if not what your reason(s) were (besides nothing ever comparing to the Pre3).
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast