Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree22Likes
    have you messed with a Veer yet?

i have always worried about what am i going to "graduate to", if i have to leave Sprint and my FrankenPre.

i considered the Pre3, but the combo of glitchiness and rarity were just too much for me.

So the next alternative I thought, was the Veer, because it is H+ which is good speed (anything over 5Mb is "fast" plus it was a production phone, not a prototype or limited edition.

So what's the hangup with the Veer: small screen, no flashbulb, no battery swap. Everything else is fine, no?

Well after a few days i can see the battery life is impressive. I will have to get a spare magnetic charger cable to leave in my car though. And so far, texting on this is not worse than my Pre2. The screen size has become unnoticeable, and the lighter-touch keyboard makes up for the 1/8" reduction in LxW. I'm texting just fine, because my thumbs really dont notice a difference from the Pre2 keyboard since its same layout.

Maybe a Veer will work for you? They're cheap enough to test-drive now. And honestly, the "cute factor" really does tip the scale in its favor more than i expected. if you want to 'love a phone' in similar fashion, the veer is like a dirty abandoned puppy at your doorstep.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    have you messed with a Veer yet?

i have always worried about what am i going to "graduate to", if i have to leave Sprint and my FrankenPre.

i considered the Pre3, but the combo of glitchiness and rarity were just too much for me.

So the next alternative I thought, was the Veer, because it is H+ which is good speed (anything over 5Mb is "fast" plus it was a production phone, not a prototype or limited edition.

So what's the hangup with the Veer: small screen, no flashbulb, no battery swap. Everything else is fine, no?

Well after a few days i can see the battery life is impressive. I will have to get a spare magnetic charger cable to leave in my car though. And so far, texting on this is not worse than my Pre2. The screen size has become unnoticeable, and the lighter-touch keyboard makes up for the 1/8" reduction in LxW. I'm texting just fine, because my thumbs really dont notice a difference from the Pre2 keyboard since its same layout.

Maybe a Veer will work for you? They're cheap enough to test-drive now. And honestly, the "cute factor" really does tip the scale in its favor more than i expected. if you want to 'love a phone' in similar fashion, the veer is like a dirty abandoned puppy at your doorstep.
    I got a veer cheap be4 my pre to see if I liked it... I did & threw down for the pre... Veer screen is tough to see... Keys are smaller... But is has a strong cutesie factor... & it's white !!
    I am going to say something blasphemous now....

I actually like the Nexus 5's onscreen keyboard almost as much as the Pre's physical one!
    I never thought that would be the case, but after a few months of use, I'm loving the speed and noiseless input it allows. Of course you don't have access to keyboard shortcuts or the intuitive text-selection of a physical keyboard, but other than that it actually feels a bit odd typing the Pre 3 now!

I'm very surprised at this turn of events.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    I am going to say something blasphemous now....

I actually like the Nexus 5's onscreen keyboard almost as much as the Pre's physical one!
    I never thought that would be the case, but after a few months of use, I'm loving the speed and noiseless input it allows. Of course you don't have access to keyboard shortcuts or the intuitive text-selection of a physical keyboard, but other than that it actually feels a bit odd typing the Pre 3 now!

I'm very surprised at this turn of events.
    Josh over at the verge pronounced that the virtual keyboard has won and he claims he can type faster on them than on physical keyboards.

For me I prefer the feel of my pre2 keyboard, I run my fingers across it when I am bored. I also like the feel of driving a stick shift car
    Last edited by laingman; 01/27/2014 at 07:08 AM.
    I feel sad that I've so easily abandoned webOS!
    Like an old friend that isn't quite as fun or interesting as your new ones, but is always available when you need them.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    When you put it that way, maybe you should feel bad? Just kidding.
    Like an old friend that isn't quite as fun or interesting as your new ones, but is always available when you need them.
    You have been overcome by newness. Happens to the best of us
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    You have been overcome by newness. Happens to the best of us
    Yep, eventually app envy and feature envy make temptation hard to resist. I did it once and switched back after 7 or 8 months.. The second time was 'forced' so I could keep my work calendar on my phone - I didn't want to carry two phones, but I find myself always keeping my Pre3 on me anyway. I may as well switch back to my FrankenPre2 as my primary phone when my minimum time with my iPhone is up. I'll just have to live without work email when I'm not working. That will be rough. I will probably keep it near me for my work calendar, which I'll keep updated on WiFi.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 01/28/2014 at 10:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Josh over at the verge pronounced that the virtual keyboard has won and he claims he can type faster on them than on physical keyboards.

For me I prefer the feel of my pre2 keyboard, I run my fingers across it when I am bored. I also like the feel of driving a stick shift car
    I also prefer real keyboards and stick shift cars.

I am not sure that virtual keyboards won because they are better though. I think it was more that phones with out keyboards are cheaper to make, so manufactures just stopped making phones with keyboards and people had no choice but to adapt.

I would be lying if i said that i did not have app envy as well, especially now that even apps we do have are breaking, but my pre2 still has those few features that i use every day that no other phone seems to really have. It would be a tough transition.
    steeled likes this.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123