Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLBurger View Post
    Wow, this thread... Haven't been on the forums in probably a year, and stumbled across this. My Pre 3's been going down (SMS issue, which from another thread I think I may be able to fix!), and I've been getting ever so much tempted to finally move on to another OS... So it's great seeing that there's at least a small group of us out there still rocking these. My thoughts (and fears) are echoed in so many of these posts. So thanks to all.

I too have been tempted by the Nexus 5 - so much so that today I went looking around trying to find an in-store demo unit (to no avail) to try out before making a purchase (AT&T, so I'll buy from Google Play). I'm curious to hear if you ended up getting one, and if not what your reason(s) were (besides nothing ever comparing to the Pre3).
    another thread references cm7/9 for pre3 but needs russian-english guide... If so it could extend my pre3 for a longer run...anyone seven it?
    I too have been tempted by the Nexus 5 - so much so that today I went looking around trying to find an in-store demo unit (to no avail) to try out before making a purchase (AT&T, so I'll buy from Google Play). I'm curious to hear if you ended up getting one, and if not what your reason(s) were (besides nothing ever comparing to the Pre3).
    I went into Carphone Warehouse yesterday planning to buy one (if they had any) and had a chance to play with the demo unit. I couldn't pick it up because it was attached to the display by a security 'bar' unfortunately, but the build quality felt pretty nice.
    Thoughts:
    • Its a very 'screen-centric' phone so you don't really notice anything in the surrounding areas - a good thing in my opinion.
    • The touchscreen had a good sensitivity to it - felt nice to use.
    • Display quality was pin sharp and clear. But then most are these days - hard to tell with the unit locked down.
    • The OS ran like smooth butter covered in oil - everything was quick, intuitive and cleanly designed.
    • I liked the fact that the clock app was also a stopwatch and countdown app - that's 2 apps I won't need to get.
    • I kept wanting to swipe up to minimise apps! That's gonna take a long time to adjust to.

I didn't buy it in the end because they wanted 329 for the 16GB version, where Google sells the same for 299 in the Play Store.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Over at the verge they can't stop talking bout how nexus 5 camera sucks. But it's probly good enough for us normals
    ananimus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Over at the verge they can't stop talking bout how nexus 5 camera sucks. But it's probly good enough for us normals
    When you're used to 2 year old camera technology that wasn't considered 'top of the line' when it was new, anything from 2013 is going to be pretty damn good!
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    I finally went for it and ordered the Nexus 5!
    I'll report back with my comparisons to the Pre3 soon.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    I finally went for it and ordered the Nexus 5!
    I'll report back with my comparisons to the Pre3 soon.
    You'll miss the keyboard. I still do

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  7.    #27  
    dropboxify ...and any stuff that offers to connect to dropbox (despite some patches posted which will not install)
    some of the twitter apps... phnx works, macaw not well
    other stuff including that quickoffice has many warnings about allowing certain updates...
    more...

is this my beloved HP Pre 3 circling the drain?

I so want to get a cyanogen mod on it so it will live on longer...
  8.    #28  
    if the pre 3 is done, and one lives in a world of android or windows (I don't consider ifone as I don't like it), then what is going to make me happy ...i hate the giant phablets so I would consider some smaller stuff ...ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    if the pre 3 is done, and one lives in a world of android or windows (I don't consider ifone as I don't like it), then what is going to make me happy ...i hate the giant phablets so I would consider some smaller stuff ...ideas?
    motorola something for $179. Not sure if it released yet
    Here are some initial thoughts on the Pre3 to Nexus 5 transition, in no particular order:
    HARDWARE
    • LOVING the massive screen.
    • Doesn't have the same 'safe' feeling in my hands - the Pre3 felt like the perfect holdable shape.
    • Micro USB socket is upside down (compared to many other devices I have). Very annoying!
    • Power button position is refreshing after years of constantly switching on my Pre3 in my pocket
    • Already missing the keyboard from my Pre, even though I haven't started using the Nexus for texting yet (awaiting micro SIM). I wonder if there are any 'shortcuts' equivalents on Android, so I don't have to keep typing out my whole email address and other long items?

SOFTWARE
    • Everything is soooo buttery smooth on the Nexus - from scrolling, to zooming and opening apps, it all makes my Pre feel a little clunky and slow.
    • FINALLY half-decent WiFi! I was getting so sick of my Pre's poor wifi - the 'spinning circle of doom' despite full reception. The insistence on staying loyal to the last selected network, even if it's barely registering a bar. The fact that it often only gave me a list of one network - the one I was connected to - despite knowing there are at least 4 others nearby. So far the Nexus has had none of the above issues and is much faster.
    • I still can't get used to the lack of a 'cards' system, despite the similar 'current apps' button on Android. WebOS had it sooo right and I'm not sure why this setup isn't an option in Android, even with a launcher add-on app. Apps load so quickly, which helps somewhat, but it's just not as intuitive by far.
    • Notifications are pretty much identical to webOS now - just at the top instead. Simple transition here.
    • App selection is ENORMOUS! where we had one or 2 options for a particular app in webOS, there are maybe 2 dozen options for the same thing in Android. But....
    • The ads. Oh dear lord the ads! It feels like every single app and system is tailored to somehow showing me an ad of some sort. Even Google searches require scrolling past all the Google Play suggestions before you get to the actual info you're looking for. I appreciate funding has to come from somewhere, but I'd like more option to disable them.
    • I wish the built-in calculator had M+ M- MR and MC buttons. I don't like having to install a whole app for simple functions that should be there already.
    • I like the alarm options - you can tell alarms which days of the week to go off (ie. not at weekends).
    • Connecting to the computer via USB is good but odd. You can access the USB storage partition much like with webOS, however there's no 'safely remove' or 'eject' option so I'm scared to unplug it! (I did anyway - no problems as far as I can see)
    • I like the glowing led notification light - not at all familiar (ahem). Only difference to the Pre is that it also glows blue, although I can't remember why!

Any more thoughts/observations will be posted here.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    motorola something for $179. Not sure if it released yet
    with keyboard maybe?
  12.    #32  
    Here are some initial thoughts on the Pre3 to Nexus 5 transition, in no particular order:
    HARDWARE
    • Doesn't have the same 'safe' feeling in my hands - the Pre3 felt like the perfect holdable shape.
    • Micro USB socket is upside down (compared to many other devices I have). Very annoying!
    • Power button position is refreshing after years of constantly switching on my Pre3 in my pocket
    • Already missing the keyboard from my Pre, even though I haven't started using the Nexus for texting yet (awaiting micro SIM). I wonder if there are any 'shortcuts' equivalents on Android, so I don't have to keep typing out my whole email address and other long items?

SOFTWARE
    • Everything is soooo buttery smooth on the Nexus - from scrolling, to zooming and opening apps, it all makes my Pre feel a little clunky and slow.
    • FINALLY half-decent WiFi! I was getting so sick of my Pre's poor wifi - the 'spinning circle of doom' despite full reception. The insistence on staying loyal to the last selected network, even if it's barely registering a bar. The fact that it often only gave me a list of one network - the one I was connected to - despite knowing there are at least 4 others nearby. So far the Nexus has had none of the above issues and is much faster.
    • I still can't get used to the lack of a 'cards' system, despite the similar 'current apps' button on Android. WebOS had it sooo right and I'm not sure why this setup isn't an option in Android, even with a launcher add-on app. Apps load so quickly, which helps somewhat, but it's just not as intuitive by far.
    • Notifications are pretty much identical to webOS now - just at the top instead. Simple transition here.
    • App selection is ENORMOUS! where we had one or 2 options for a particular app in webOS, there are maybe 2 dozen options for the same thing in Android. But....
    • The ads. Oh dear lord the ads! It feels like every single app and system is tailored to somehow showing me an ad of some sort. Even Google searches require scrolling past all the Google Play suggestions before you get to the actual info you're looking for. I appreciate funding has to come from somewhere, but I'd like more option to disable them.
    • I wish the built-in calculator had M+ M- MR and MC buttons. I don't like having to install a whole app for simple functions that should be there already.
    • I like the alarm options - you can tell alarms which days of the week to go off (ie. not at weekends).
    • Connecting to the computer via USB is good but odd. You can access the USB storage partition much like with webOS, however there's no 'safely remove' or 'eject' option so I'm scared to unplug it! (I did anyway - no problems as far as I can see)
    • I like the glowing led notification light - not at all familiar (ahem). Only difference to the Pre is that it also glows blue, although I can't remember why!

it looks like a real monster on phonearena next to the pre 3
    HARDWARE

SOFTWARE

So where is the power button located on the nexus 5? You mean you managed to press the power button and swipe up while phone in your pocket? Has never happened to me, but I keep my phone by itself in left pocket.
  14.    #34  
    I have enjoyed the thoughts in this thread...

anyone compared or gone over to a windows fone ??
    Looking at the Nexus on GSMArena it looks MASSIVE. I just couldn't hold it

About Windows phone my partner has one (lumia 520) and as they are all pretty much similar and also dual cores because of the limitation it is actually a very nice operating system. Of course the biggest standout is the tiles.

WiFi is pretty good on it and I have to say the keyboard isn't half bad despite being a touch screen. I have chunky fingers but it isn't too bad. Of course there's no swype but the predication on it saves the day.

Camera is decent and screen is lovely. I actually considered moving to a Windows phone after being so jealous (and using ) my partner's a lot.

I can't really give much feedback on the phone but I thought I'd chip in because I've had a go on it. Makes the stock Android (and comparing it to my Xperia) look a bit outdated and cheesy to be perfectly honest. The Windows' phones are built solidly with an OS that works. There are some annoyances like having to go through a zillion menus to find one thing such as turning your wifi or data on/off etc.

Course I prefer my Pre however the one thing every OS lacks is card views; true multitasking.
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    I have enjoyed the thoughts in this thread...

anyone compared or gone over to a windows fone ??
    I switched over to WP8 about 8 months ago and I have been super happy with it. After leaving webOS I spent a month or so on an iPhone 4, there was nothing wrong with iOS it just seemed like it was almost the same as my original iPhone I had in 2008. After that I bought a Lumia 820 to test the waters and a week later dove in and picked up a Lumia 920. When I first had it I had some of the same feelings when I tried webOS for the first time. If feels like an OS that was designed for a phone unlike a bloated app launcher like Android. No, it is not perfect, there are some problems like Michael Long mentioned, but for me it is the best OS out there at the moment.
    it looks like a real monster on phonearena next to the pre 3
    I was worried about the size too, but it's actually only about 4mm wider than the Pre3 and considerably lighter.
    So where is the power button located on the nexus 5? You mean you managed to press the power button and swipe up while phone in your pocket? Has never happened to me, but I keep my phone by itself in left pocket.
    I know, I was surprised too when it happened. I've always put the phones in my right pocket, head first and screen inwards - that way there's less chance of a broken screen and it's orientated correctly the moment I take it out. Unfortunately the corner power button is often resting on the taught pocket material or on my leg and so I'd often get the reset/power screen as it had been pressed in for a few seconds.

I also discovered that thin pocket material plus a warm sweaty leg on a hot day equals a giant leg-finger running amok on the touch screen from time to time! And yes, this managed to (on a number of occasions) unlock the screen and launch apps all by itself!

As for the Nexus 5, the power button is in the same corner, but on the side rather than on the apex of the corner. A lot less likely to become pressed.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Here are some more observations:
    • The battery life seems a lot better than the Pre, with a possible 2 days of use if I don't play any games for too long.
    • The on-screen keyboard is growing on me, although I still find the whole 'letters screen/numbers screen' idea a little clunky. I noticed some keyboards are downloadable that have a main letter then a small alternative character both visible on the key faces so I'm assuming they work more like the Pre, but I've yet to try one. Anyone got any recommendations?
    • The 'bloated app launcher' description above does kind of ring true sometimes - I don't really get the whole 'home screen' with your apps on AND a button to bring up all apps in A-Z order. It seems Android has a lot of duplicated functionality which tends to confuse more than anything else.
    • I'm amazed at how many websites seem so advanced now I'm on Android - a lot include the ability to swipe through images and have sliding panels which were notably absent on webOS due to the limitations of the browser.
    • I have used my Pre3 a few times recently and been amazed at how slow it seems now - I've truly been spoilt with the fast processor and very reactive touch screen of the Nexus. The Pre does still feel amazing to hold though - that pebble shape really was ideal for a phone.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    No, you probably won't.

I still miss webOS, and power up my pre3 from time to time, but it just does;t do the things I need to do anymore. But after my first iPhone and Pre, I haven't felt that enthusiastic about a phone.

The closest thing would be my Moto X, fantastic phone that feels soooo good in your hands, if you get a chance, try it out.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
  20.    #40  
    worth considering win8 like the nokias maybe ? I am very hesitant... Need more of your take on it...
    Last edited by patapoof; 12/29/2013 at 11:44 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast