• 1 Post By trwrt
  • 1 Post By John Steffes
  • 2 Post By Anastasia
  • 1 Post By Rnp
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Good afternoon!

How can I delete the data that's stored in my HP Profile? I understand that that happens when I turn off the backup feature of the phone (is this, in fact, true?), but:

I have an old Pre3 whose partition I expanded due to the dreaded Application Database Is Full error (see: Application database full?). I bought a new Pre3, and I have decided I don't want its partition expanded (see my last entry in that thread)...I just won't keep my 23+ years of Calendar data on the device since webOS never added a search function and I don't want to go through Google for searching.

The problem is that the structure of the data on the Profile appears to be different than the out-of-the-box device since the database partition was expanded, and so I can't get past the profile sign in and restore on my new Pre3. See: Restoring Data onto New HP Pre3

Assuming that this is all truly the case, I want to keep my username and password and delete / reset the database stored in the HP Profile. I have all of my important data backed up onto my computer; about the only thing that would be nice to restore are my apps, but I have very few anyway and could always re-download them later. I want to be able to use the Pre3 like normal, but I don't believe I can get past the sign in and restore with data that's stored in an incompatible structure. (Once the new phone is up and running, I am happy to have the Profile work as normal.)

How do I wipe my Profile? Assuming that turning off the backup feature is what does it as I've been reading (is this correct?), must I fire up the old phone and turn off the backup feature (which would require a bit of doing), or is there another way? I just need the data gone, so that I can sign in to my profile on the new Pre3 and not have to worry about data incompatibility causing the sign-in and restore process to short-circuit.

Thank you!
    Well, well, well...

I suggest that you bypass activation, install Preware, install Impostah, login to your profile inside the Impostah and make a backup.

This way, you gonna send a blank profile to HP servers.

After finish backup, hard reset and activation!

The End!

(I always cry in happy end! )

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Anastasia likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastasia View Post
    Good afternoon!

How can I delete the data that's stored in my HP Profile? I understand that that happens when I turn off the backup feature of the phone (is this, in fact, true?), but:

I have an old Pre3 whose partition I expanded due to the dreaded Application Database Is Full error (see: Application database full?). I bought a new Pre3, and I have decided I don't want its partition expanded (see my last entry in that thread)...I just won't keep my 23+ years of Calendar data on the device since webOS never added a search function and I don't want to go through Google for searching.

The problem is that the structure of the data on the Profile appears to be different than the out-of-the-box device since the database partition was expanded, and so I can't get past the profile sign in and restore on my new Pre3. See: Restoring Data onto New HP Pre3

Assuming that this is all truly the case, I want to keep my username and password and delete / reset the database stored in the HP Profile. I have all of my important data backed up onto my computer; about the only thing that would be nice to restore are my apps, but I have very few anyway and could always re-download them later. I want to be able to use the Pre3 like normal, but I don't believe I can get past the sign in and restore with data that's stored in an incompatible structure. (Once the new phone is up and running, I am happy to have the Profile work as normal.)

How do I wipe my Profile? Assuming that turning off the backup feature is what does it as I've been reading (is this correct?), must I fire up the old phone and turn off the backup feature (which would require a bit of doing), or is there another way? I just need the data gone, so that I can sign in to my profile on the new Pre3 and not have to worry about data incompatibility causing the sign-in and restore process to short-circuit.

Thank you!
    You answered your own question, the only way to remove old backups is to logon using your old Pre3 that worked, disable backups and then log in on your new pre3 creating a new Phone profile...

There are ways to override this functionality, use impostah (provided you delete the bypass activation account and then use the palm profile) to log on to your profile (bypassing the restore) and then backup your new Pre3 device. Never tried this...

But when I tested going from webOS 2.2.4 to webOS 2.1.0 on the PrePlus (because the backup sets were different) it would not let me restore, the only way was to have webOS 2.2.4 on my profile and remove the backups, then log on via webOS 2.1.0...
    Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    You could try going to

https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...oginPage.iface

and logging in with your Palm profile email address and password. Then hit 'device options' and see if either 'I lost my phone' or 'remove this device' will do what you want, I'd imagine at least one of them wipes your profile, probably 'remove this device' if I had to guess.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by trwrt View Post
    You could try going to

https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...oginPage.iface

and logging in with your Palm profile email address and password. Then hit 'device options' and see if either 'I lost my phone' or 'remove this device' will do what you want, I'd imagine at least one of them wipes your profile, probably 'remove this device' if I had to guess.
    I have had my device wiped a few times (corporate Exchange), each time when I logged back on all my palm profile stuff came back...

There is no way (off device) that I am aware of to remove the profile off of HP/Palm servers... (Even HP/Palm back in the day could not do it, because I asked them once to do it...)
    There are ways to override this functionality, use impostah (provided you delete the bypass activation account and then use the palm profile) to log on to your profile (bypassing the restore) and then backup your new Pre3 device. Never tried this...
    I told this above...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    I told this above...

Best Regards...
    Yes I know we posted almost at the same time, mine being a post one minute after yours, so we were both suggesting the same solution, it just took longer for me to submit my reply...

That just means good webOS citizens think alike, and we all try to help each other...
    Rnp likes this.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    So...I tried the easy route last night: I booted up the old Pre3 and attempted to turn off the Backup. It failed. It said that it needed an Internet connection, which it actually did have, but seems to be yet another of the weird errors I keep seeing after Doctoring the phone with the expanded partition.

How do I install PreWare and Impostah?

(Is there a way to get the old phone back to "stock"? In other words, Doctoring copies a new version of the software, but it doesn't seem to do anything to the underlying structure such as the partition.)
    One can use webOS Quick Install to put preware and impostah on your phone
    http://forums.webosnation.com/canuck...-v4-5-0-a.html
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    One can use webOS Quick Install to put preware and impostah on your phone
    http://forums.webosnation.com/canuck...-v4-5-0-a.html
    I am stuck. I am in DevMode on my Pre3, I have Quick Install (v4.5) on my computer, and I am trying to install Preware, and it's been spinning for quite some time. I've tried twice rebooting both the computer (Win7) and the Pre3, and I'm still spinning.

How long does it take to install? Has anyone else had this problem with Preware? (What am I doing wrong?) Do I need Preware? For my purpose, can I just go to Impostah?
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastasia View Post
    I am stuck. I am in DevMode on my Pre3, I have Quick Install (v4.5) on my computer, and I am trying to install Preware, and it's been spinning for quite some time. I've tried twice rebooting both the computer (Win7) and the Pre3, and I'm still spinning.

How long does it take to install? Has anyone else had this problem with Preware? (What am I doing wrong?) Do I need Preware? For my purpose, can I just go to Impostah?
    Just to double-check: On the Pre3 I'm on a screen called Developer Mode (its toggle is On), and it says: "Your device is in Developer Mode. You may use Palm Mojo SDK tools to connect to the device" and there is a "Set/Change Password" bar. Is this where I should be when I'm in the Quick Install?
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    @Rnp: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to go through a lot of other drama (see: Restoring Data onto New HP Pre3) but after that, and after I followed your instructions, I HAVE SUCCESS!!!
    ananimus and Rnp like this.
    It's at least very strange that even though turning of Backup warns you that all your data and apps will be deleted everything except your personal data is returned. I tried it and all my apps were restored even though I want all of them back.
    The problem is that even when you delete an app on the Pre (I tried to get rid of Grooveshark a hundred times) they keep coming back everytime you may need to reset your phone. Very annoying.
    When begin to restore the apps, go to Software Manager, pause all downloads and delete the apps that you don't need to restore...

Ok, need some work... but is the fastest option to solve this, that I know, at least...

Best Regards...
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    I always forget the 'pause all downloads' menu item is there, and go through and pause them all individually. Then I feel dumb when I see it there later.
    Rnp likes this.