Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybees View Post
    Hi,
    I need advice, opinions and wisdom from all of you guys that know the Pre 3 and webOS intimately.
    Ok, I've had the iPhone (a 3GS and a 4S), recently went to Android (various devices) and I've even tried Windows Phone 8 on the Lumia 820 and the Ativ S... I have tried them all.
    Or at least I thought I had.
    I have come across a new and unlocked HP Pre 3 for sale in the UK... I'd forgotten about the Palm (HP) phones... I remember seeing one available on O2 but then they seemed to disappear.
    I had a Palm Pilot back in the day and I loved it.
    So, I'm tempted... very tempted.

I would value any insights about the sanity of buying a phone that runs, forgive me, a dead or at least dying operating system.

Is it a good idea to take a step backward in time and abandon iOS, WP8 and Android?
    I wouldn't recommend it. If you use the web browser a lot, i'd stay away. It's aging badly with no better solutions insight. I've been using a Nexus 4 for 10 months now, about 2 weeks ago it slipped out of my hands and the entire screen smashed. My Pre 3 to the rescue. I popped my SIM card back into my Pre 3 and have been very frustrated with the browser. It works for the most part, but I find some websites, once loaded, will suddenly go blank and/or start to reload all over again. My only work around has been to stop the page from doing its very last loading before its complete so it wont go into a blank screen or start reloading all over again.

This doesn't happen to all websites but It does happen, and can be annoying when you need it to work.

Now if you don't mind that, then there's a work around for pretty much everything else. FB app still works, Email app is still great. There's no official Instagram, if thats your thing, but theres Instagario alternative. I prefer just going to the web version of it instead, of course no way to actually post this way.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Pre 3, and have been a day one WebOS lover. I have no problems with MY Pre 3 build, quality is good, my slider is great. I haven't run into problems with the SIM slot. But then, im not the type of person to be switching SIMs on a regular basis. My keyboard works great.

I have no problems with the music player what so ever, I use both the Stock and Music Remix apps. Even use them with my stereo bluetooth and sounds great. (Plantronics Backbeat GO)

I never thought I needed apps, until I mad the plunge onto my Nexus 4. Having work arounds on the Pre 3 is great but doesn't compare to the ease of having official great looking, HD apps. Not to mention things like Google Navigation and others. Sure theres Google maps in Preware, but it really doesn't compare but its better than nothing at all. If you can deal with looking for work arounds you might be ok. But forget it if you use the web browser often and a lot of games. Most main stream stuff you can find a way around.
    It seems to me that the OP knows all there is to know about other platforms and is curious about this webos experience that he has been hearing about, being a long time palm fan and all.

So my advice would be to go ahead and get it, it would be a pleasant surprise to see how webos works. Also depending on his budget and availability a veer or pre2 will do. Can always go back to a more supported OS to get all the apps and stuff. And get a touchstone or two, they are dirt cheap on amazon and it's just not webos without it.
    Honestly you should only get it if you want to try it out. webOS, if they get it on top end current hardware, and does what Blackberry did (get an Android runtime so you can run Android apps) would IMO be my top choice for a phone. But the trade off of getting terrible hardware and having no apps makes it a bad choice for a main phone.

And if you use webOS enough you'll start to wonder "what if?" and get depressed over it. Eg "What if we could just get webOS on top end hardware now and somehow get access to Android/iOS apps? Wouldn't that make the best phone ever made?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookie4sho View Post
    If you can deal with looking for work arounds you might be ok. But forget it if you use the web browser often and a lot of games. Most main stream stuff you can find a way around.
    This is a pretty good summary for me. I switched back to webOS from Android a few months back and fell in love with it all over again. Workarounds are there for everything pretty much. The browser isn't so good anymore but pretty much does its job. nDrive beta works for GPS for me (I bought the maps), Facebook app is ok, I use Project Macaw for Twitter (from Preware) which works great, I packaged up the youtube app for use on my Pre3 which works fine now after the search/quality patch, weather channel, QuickChat for FB is great, Archive manager for zips/rars, Quick Post for multi social app connections, Photo effects for editing photos, QR offline Decoder, Pandora, Express News, etc. all work fine. If you want it, it's pretty much there one way or another. No, you can't go download the Google Maps app and get spoken turn-by-turn nav, download a google+ app, upload to Instagram through an app, or get the latest Gameloft Modern Combat 9000. Most of that stuff doesn't interest me though. I LOVE my Pre3. It just works. If you can find a cheap enough model (they've been going for about $150 US used on ebay) do it. You won't regret it.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Quote Originally Posted by spacemanspork View Post
    Honestly you should only get it if you want to try it out. webOS, if they get it on top end current hardware, and does what Blackberry did (get an Android runtime so you can run Android apps) would IMO be my top choice for a phone. But the trade off of getting terrible hardware and having no apps makes it a bad choice for a main phone.

And if you use webOS enough you'll start to wonder "what if?" and get depressed over it. Eg "What if we could just get webOS on top end hardware now and somehow get access to Android/iOS apps? Wouldn't that make the best phone ever made?"
    I don't know about the pre3 being "terrible" hardware. There is someone complaining about slider issues, but to be fair if the hype phone had a slider I'm sure there would be a few complaining about slider too. I mean it does take some amount of engineering with precise tolerances to make a slider, and being an avid webos forum reader I never gotten the sense that the pre3 has major slider issues.

That said I assume you mean it does not have the LTE radio, whatever pixel camera, big 4 inch plus screen, etc.

I am defending the pre3, but I have never even seen one. I have been using the same pre2 for years and it is a smooth and sturdy as ever. Besides for what I do the most there is nothing else that I would rather have. I mean on any other phone typing an email will mean dealing with only half a screen, and that sucks pretty bad to me. To each his own I suppose
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I don't know about the pre3 being "terrible" hardware. There is someone complaining about slider issues, but to be fair if the hype phone had a slider I'm sure there would be a few complaining about slider too. I mean it does take some amount of engineering with precise tolerances to make a slider, and being an avid webos forum reader I never gotten the sense that the pre3 has major slider issues.

That said I assume you mean it does not have the LTE radio, whatever pixel camera, big 4 inch plus screen, etc.

I am defending the pre3, but I have never even seen one. I have been using the same pre2 for years and it is a smooth and sturdy as ever. Besides for what I do the most there is nothing else that I would rather have. I mean on any other phone typing an email will mean dealing with only half a screen, and that sucks pretty bad to me. To each his own I suppose
    The slider is okay on three Pre3s. My Pre3 felt a few times on the floor. The plastic cover has scratches and the power button is little bit lower and more diffcult to push. The slider mechanism is working like it did on the first day.

The quality of the slider of the BB Torch 9800 is worse imo.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts

Not terrible by any means, but certainly no longer my daily driver. Pre3 was a great value last year, but with this year's midrange options, its a little overshadowed imo.

I love the shape and feel of the Pre3. Same goes to my Veer, Pre2, and my Pre+.

Their build quality is a little shoddy compared to my BB or my Nokia N8/N808/L822. Still, Pre3 is no doubt king in the WebOS line.

Screen is good compared to what you get for $140 off contract unlocked at the store, however online tends to be a different story.

Keyboard is something I long for in other phones, however I do long for better browser, cpu, battery life, camera, etc in the Pre3.

WebOS is just amazing. The apps are noticeably aged though.

I do hope at least a phone with a similar look and feel appears in the market. I do not like android, iOS, or WP8's system philosophy. But I will recommend a Lumia over Pre3 any day.
    I loved my Pre3 and it was my daily driver for 2 years until it died , the lack of apps and the lack of updates for apps that are available was the main bug bear for me.
    WebOS is awesome on it and I really liked the form factor with slider keyboard , apps and stuff run real smooth.
    I bought a Nokia 620 in the end which is really nice , has loads of quality apps and wp8 OS is cool but I really miss my Pre3.
    Now if ACL was on it that would be the stuff dreams were made of and I'd buy another one straight away.

Terrible meaning relatively. Remember he's considering this phone vs the current generation phones. That means
    • Single core CPU vs dual core all the way to octacore CPUs.
    • 512 MB RAM vs 1-3 GB of RAM.
    • 800x480 screen vs 1920x1080 or 1280x720.
    • Bad camera. Compare vs the cameras on the iPhone5S, HTC One, Nokia Lumia 1020, Samsung Galaxy S4/Note3, LG G2. No competition there.
    • No LTE
    • If I remember correctly, no expandable memory
    • Small battery. 1230 mAh. For reference the HTC One: 2300 mAh. SGS4: 2600 mAh. Yes, those devices need more power but that's still a pretty small battery on the Pre3.

The Pre3 was inferior hardware wise to the competition 2 years ago. For comparison, it was out when the Galaxy S2 and iPhone 4/4S were out. So of course it's going to be WAY behind now considering how many improvements the S4, iPhone5/5S have.

I understand that you might still enjoy using your Pre2 and it might work just fine for what you use it for, but it doesn't change the fact that the hardware sucks compared to the current generation. You might not care that you have a measly 320x480 screen vs a 1920x1080 or 1280x720 screen (Though honestly I think you will care after you get used to an HD screen). You might only care that your camera takes "good enough" pictures, but it doesn't change the fact that the camera is far worse than the current crop of cameras.

I mean don't get me wrong. I'm still a HUGE webOS fan. In my eyes it's still the best mobile OS in terms of design. But I understand that the hardware webOS has been on hasn't done it justice. I knew the Pre3 had bad specs compared to the competition but at the time I was still strongly considering getting it due to my love for webOS. But of course the Pre3 never really got released so that took that possibility off the table for me.

(Actually I've constantly been toying with the idea of picking one up off of ebay for the hell of it).
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    DON'T DO IT!!! NEVER TOUCH IT!!! RUN AWAY AS LONG AS YOU CAN!!!

Issue is: if you use a webos device, you'll be spoiled for all time and none of the other systems can ever make you happy (at least not until they copy more features from old webOS and don't spoil them ). That's my issue... It's the best mobile OS I ever used. I actually have a Galaxy Nexus right now that I carry around with me every day. I'm not using it, if I don't have to.

WebOS really lacks apps. And some of the apps around are dying. More will come in the next months and years. Sometimes the old dev releases a fix (example: Papermache, an instapaper client). Sometimes the community manages to fix the app (Dropboxify, a dropbox client) and you'll have to apply patches from this forum... sometimes no one cares or changes would be too big (all the dead twitter clients since the last API change or the dead google reader clients after the shutdown).

But the OS still is very useful. And if there is an app, it usually is of high quality (very different to the usual Andoid apps, I've seen). Doing things on webOS usually means much less pain. Especially if multiple apps and app switches are included or searching something...
    Often it is only the ageing browser that forces me to launch Firefox on the Android phone and work with that. :-(

The thing I do the most with my phone is reading news. I.e. syncing a news client with theOldReader or my private tt-rss sever (now I do the later). Then browsing headlines and teasers and sending them to Instapaper or open them up in the browser. If that is done, switch to the browser or instapaper and read there. This is perfectly possible on webOS and that's why I won't move away from it... at least not until I can't find any hardware.

Some things I really like about webOS:
    • App switch is VERY easy. People tend to call it "multitasking". Sure the apps can multitask. But for me that's not the point... I'm often doing one task that involves multiple apps and that's very fast, easy and intuitive in webOS. If you ever saw the card based interface in action and used it, you'll never want to go back to the "homescreen"-stuff again. Never.
    • JustType: Use the physical keyboard and type. In many lists this will start a search. If no app is open it will trigger JustType search that will find everything on device (contacts, also by initials, e-mails, apps => I'm seldomly scrolling through my launcher pages) or you can send the search string to any web search (google, wikipedia, amazon are set up by default but you can configure all about this). You can even create memos, e-mails, sms this way... If you got used to that a bit, it REALLY speeds up about everything... call my wife? I just type sk and tap the right phone number to call her. Run an app? Start typing the name and launch it. Search something in the web? Start typing and send to google. Or just enter the URL and send to browser.
    • Synergy: Just let webOS sync all your external accounts and display the results in the system apps... that's really great. At the same time this includes a perfect security scheme. No app can access your private data. It can create it's own calendar/contact storage and contents will be displayed in the system app. But it can't access data from other apps. That's just brilliant. The only thing that is not possible is 3rd party calendars or addressbooks, i.e. the display apps... but that's not a bad thing, because they are JSJSJS $and$ $can$ $be$ $easily$ $patched$.
    • "Jailbraking"... I really don't get why it is that complicated on other systems... if you are a developer or Linux guy, webOS really is the OS for you... there is a complete Linux in the background and you can access it by just typing webos20090606 in the JustType bar. (ok, you'll still need Preware and some other apps... but hey... Preware is maybe one of the most important tools that allows me to stay on webOS.)

So that's my 5cent... tried to keep it from bashing other systems. I could go on all day ranting about Android. But I wanted to be positive here... Still makes me sad to see this system die. I don't know if it is a smart decision to jump on the wagon at this time... surely you can't blame anyone to jump ship in the current situation. On the other hand: Pre3 will continue to work as basic smartphone a few years, even if bought today. So why not? All this depends heavily on what you want to do with the device and what not.... if you always need the newest game or big company apps, then don't use webOS. If that's not what you are into, then maybe we have everything you need.
    Man, amazingly said. 2 years ago, I bought a like new Pre2 for $50 to replace my broken Android HTC Sensation until I could upgrade, and that was my big mistake. I got spoiled ... I looked all over Canada and bought a like new Pre3 for $150, then few months later I felt I should cure my addiction so I sold both, for hire price obviously. I am still regretting untill now selling the Pre3. Anyway, in between, I had iPhone 4s, HTC Raider, Samsung Ativ S, Samsung Galxy S2X, S3, Nexus, Nexus 4, Xperia ZL ... I was like buying a cellphone and sell it back every 2 weeks to a point my wife thought this is the 40 years old illness but not on women, it is rather on cellphones. All that time, I had one thing in my mind, the Pre3. I ended up buying a Pre3 in terrible condition and this time I kept it and use it every single day. I also have a Nexus 4 and RAZR xt910 sitting in my drawer for the last few months. I am selling the RAZR and keeping N4. Yes indeed, I am spoiled and no cure so far.
    So mightybees, have you decided?
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    So mightybees, have you decided?
    I have been avidly reading all of the posts since I started this a few days ago.

Yes, I have decided.

My new Pre 3 should arrive via UPS tomorrow. I got it on eBay for 99 with a wireless charger included. The seller says the the phone is old stock, new and still boxed. He has sold about ten already and has a good eBay rating.

I will get back to you with my thoughts once it arrives.
    Glad you decided to get one, if only so you can experience webos.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Congratulations!

My Pre3 once again became my "Daily Driver" about 4 months ago and am loving it all over again! My Galaxy Nexus is now being abused with my custom Android (and soon Ubuntu) ROM experimentation...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Ok... I have not got the Pre 3 and first impressions are that I love the hardware.
    It was simple to set up the wi-fi, Gmail and Google Calendar but there is a major issue.
    The App Catalog needed to be updated to a newer version... but the upgrade failed as the newer version is no longer available.
    So I reverted back to the original one and it has so far failed to download ever app that I have tried... what am I doing wrong?
    Or is it simply that there is no longer anything to download?
    Garfonso and ananimus like this.
    No, you're doing it wrong.

1. Reset your date to July 20th 2013 (or something similar before July 23rd 2013. 20th of July gave the best results for me, though). Yes, you need to disable network time for that.
    2. Open up the App Cataloge. If that brings up the Software Manager, then tell it to stop trying to update App Cataloge. As you already noticed, that won't work. Now App Cataloge should open up.
    3. Search for "App Cataloge Update". It is a different app with that name. Install it.

If step 3 worked, you can reset your date to network time again and also tell software manager to update app cataloge and what else. Downloads from app cat also will now work again.

That's the root certificate issue. Will happen always, when you doctor your Pre3.
    Indeed. There's a sticky around here about the Root Certificate issue. Once corrected, you're golden till next Doctor.

Alright, I just wanna chime in and say I don't know what all the griping is about the 2.2.4 browser.

It does have occasional rendering flaws, but very rarely has it ever stopped me from getting something done, and 95% of the time it's perfect in my use. Y'all don't remember the days of java phones, do ya?
    Last edited by ananimus; 10/21/2013 at 12:03 AM.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I'm exasperated...
    Love the Pre 3, the shape, the screen, the slide action.
    I just don't know if I can cope with the lack of apps and the slowness of the web browser.
    I app catalog is barren... I know it's me... there was a time that a mobile phone was simply that... a mobile phone.
    I can make phone calls on the Pre 3, send texts and emails... browse the web but it just doesn't seem enough these days.
    It's on eBay right now (eBay item number: 200979768682) but I'm confident that anyone will buy it. If it doesn't sell I don't know what I'm going to do with it.
    I'm using my wife's old 3GS at the moment... it's super slow and won't take iOS7 but there are thousands of apps for it.
    I here that Google may re-release the Nexus 4 in a 4G version this week... thats a lot of phone for 200.
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    Really - already??
    What apps are you missing? Have you added Preware, and App Tuckerbox? Added the Alpha and Beta feeds? Not hundreds of thousands of apps, but I have around 11500 apps on Preware. All I need my phone to do is here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12