1.    #1  
    last week my Pre3 was getting a little hot like it sometimes does when it is on a touchstone when I go to sleep. In the morning I could only get a data connection via WiFi. I can make calls but, can't send text messages. When I can the tests that were on the phones, one of them failed. The result was code 20 - modem.

did the modem overheat and burn out?. Is there any way to fix this or am I going to have to get different Pre3?
    Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    Have you tried shutting down and taking the battery out for a while? Otherwise I guess you could try doctoring it, I think that would reload the modem firmware.
    from Herrie:

Research Pre GSM Modem - WebOS Internals

so you dont have to doctor the whole phone (take care with GSM, AT&T, Verizon)
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by nichtwirklich View Post
    from Herrie:

Research Pre GSM Modem - WebOS Internals

so you dont have to doctor the whole phone (take care with GSM, AT&T, Verizon)
    that didn't help very much. PmModemUpdater would show what version it had and said it restarted the modem, but it still couldn't be found. The pmmodempower script couldn't find the necessary files that it needed. I ended up doctoring the phone and that appears to have fixed it for now. I had to doctor the phone a few weeks ago because a mugen battery had disabled it.
    Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    Good to hear that you got it working again.
    I have a mugen battery ...could that cause any trouble? I have the overheat warning app which warns very rarely if I turn up the brightness way high and have it charging via cable to the wall (original charge barrel)...??
    Last edited by patapoof; 10/21/2013 at 07:53 PM.