1.    #1  
    Well I pulled my battery on my Pre 3 2.2.4 with Uberkernel installed while it was on. Woops. No big deal, right? HP boot logo is all I get...here's what I've tried.

Swap batteries - didn't work
    Let it sit and cool down - didn't work
    Install Palm SDK and memboot the 2.2.4 image - Windows sees Palm Novacom (bootie) but after executing novacom boot mem://uImage-2.6.32.9-palm-rib command just sits there and phone stays in recovery mode - aka didn't work
    after executing Unixsycho's uImage-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430 in the same way - didn't work
    Tried launching a 1.4.5 Dr. to try and wake it up - didn't work

novacom -l prints 61449 7b6dc75e5d68bf08a523c0ad0b85c16a73cd404b usb mantaray-bootie
    So I'm out of ideas other than doctoring which would seriously suck...a lot. I need to get to my files at least. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Alan Morford; 10/05/2013 at 09:53 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  2.    #2  
    So I doctored. I'm got my files back and then secure erased. Started setting up my phone again. Installing apps etc. Then my phone reset. HP logo.........forever. This time I hadn't reinstalled uberkernel yet so I tried to memboot with the stock kernel uImage. Nothing. Just sits there! I'm pulling my hair out. Over 140 people have read my post, does anyone have any idea?
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read the debrick pre3 debrick thread. Go into the mass storage mode at boot time (t + power). Either mount the partition 14 manual or maybe it is automounted. I suggest a linux host for it.

So you should get your files and go on with doctoring. If the fat partition is corrupted come back, then we need dd and file carving.
  4.    #4  
    I realized I had the wrong novacom terminal command. novacom boot mem://uImage-2.6.32.9-palm-rib is wrong. Duh. novacom boot mem:// < uImage-2.6.32.9-palm-rib was right. The device rebooted but never came back up. Just HP logo... I want to connect through novaterm and try the lvm fixes but I can't get into the OS. Thanks for the reply. I can't seem to find that thread though. Will redoctoring and then immediately running the mem boot and lvm fixes here How To Recover - WebOS Internals and then redoctoring help?
    Follow me on Twitter
  5.    #5  
    Aaand I just realized I needed to click connect in novaterm. Duh. SO I was able to run the lvm and mkdosfs steps and now I'm doctoring again. I guess I'll see if it holds this time. Such a pain in the behind. If this thing hangs again I'm not sure what else to do.
    Last edited by Alan Morford; 10/06/2013 at 08:07 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter
  6.    #6  
    Well it DID hang again. SO I said forget it and put it on the touchstone and went to bed. haha. In the meantime I reactivated my Pre+ because...well why not. I got up this morning and my Pre 3 had booted (and wiped thanks to the Pre+ activation) lol. I reactivated my Pre3 and am setting it up...again. Crossing my fingers.
    Follow me on Twitter
  7.    #7  
    Nope. Did it again. I started setting it up last night and everything was going fine. I got to a good stopping point and shut my computer down, unplugged my USB cable from the phone, and I couldn't get the screen to turn on. Nothing I did worked. Opening the slider didn't turn on the backlight on the keys either. So I pulled the battery (which is how all this started) and reinserted and powered it on. Boot logo....forever. Put it on the touchstone all night like I did the night before but this morning it was still looping. 8 hours of bootloop. What I don't get is that everything was working fine until I pulled the battery when it was on. Talk about a costly mistake. I can doctor fine EVERY time and bypass activation, secure erase, and redoctor to my heart's content. Never a hiccup. Then I start installing apps and bringing only the information and apps/patches that I was using before back on. And at some point which seems to always be different, it either locks up or bootloops. I really need some community help on this one, please. I'm at the point that I'm willing to mail someone my Pre3 to work some magic. My Galaxy Nexus did something similar about a year ago. It took an f-s-c-k to fix it. Can I do that on my Pre3?
    Follow me on Twitter
    The few times one of my webOS devices have gotten into a boot loop, I was able to ssh into them as I had developer mode enabled (I use the device shell shortcut from the PDK), and then tail /var/log/messages looking for error messages. In every case it was doing what appeared to be some kind of app scan that would repeat over and over. I would simply issue a reboot command and it would restart the device and escape the boot loop. Fortunately for me this worked every time and I never had to do more extensive debugging. Maybe you could be lucky and it will work for you too - or at least reveal some messages that will help troubleshoot it.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    The few times one of my webOS devices have gotten into a boot loop, I was able to ssh into them as I had developer mode enabled (I use the device shell shortcut from the PDK), and then tail /var/log/messages looking for error messages. In every case it was doing what appeared to be some kind of app scan that would repeat over and over. I would simply issue a reboot command and it would restart the device and escape the boot loop. Fortunately for me this worked every time and I never had to do more extensive debugging. Maybe you could be lucky and it will work for you too - or at least reveal some messages that will help troubleshoot it.
    Thanks for your reply. Would you be willing to provide a bit of a tutorial? I have the latest SDK 3.0.5 installed and working. I can use novacom, novaterm, etc. without a problem. How do you ssh into the phone? I know what that means I'm just not sure how. How long should I let it bootloop before I try to read the messages. What's the syntax for running the tail command? (I guess I could google that part as it's probably standard Linux). Thanks again for the reply.
    Follow me on Twitter
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by nichtwirklich View Post
    Read the debrick pre3 debrick thread. Go into the mass storage mode at boot time (t + power). Either mount the partition 14 manual or maybe it is automounted. I suggest a linux host for it.

So you should get your files and go on with doctoring. If the fat partition is corrupted come back, then we need dd and file carving.
    Thanks for the reply as well. I'll try this out tonight too.
    Follow me on Twitter
  11.    #11  
    So it is definitely a wayward app or patch. I'm in the process of nailing it down now. I switched to my other Pre3 and started installing things without chronicalling anything. And IT is now in a bootloop...gotta find the culprit.
    Follow me on Twitter
  12.    #12  
    Alright I figured it out. I repackage the 2.2.4 Youtube app for use on my Pre3. I did that here [Patch] webOS 2: Fix low YouTube quality and my phone did not restart or shutoff until that night. Check the OP timestamp which is about 5 hours later. When I rebooted after the battery pull...crash! The app works fine but NOT with the 2.2.4 v2 patch installed also. They cannot be used at the same time. No no no. I have two Pre3s simultaneously bootlooping lol. At least I know why!
    Follow me on Twitter
    Living dangerously! Hope you have it nailed down.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  14.    #14  
    Living dangerously! Hope you have it nailed down.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Haha yeah I did kinda...oh well. SO GET THIS! Turns out I was wrong as to the combination of the quality/search fix patch and the repackaged youtube app being the problem. Since I left the stock youtube package alone the phone got SERIOUSLY confused with my repackaged youtube app installation. I realized this when I carefully ensured I DID NOT install the patch along side the app. I restarted after the app install and lo-and-behold...BOOTLOOP! Novaterm to the rescue. I issued ipkg remove com.palm.app.youtube and then reboot. BAM. Back in webOS. <sigh> This is what happens when there's enough information on this forum and the internet in general for folks like me who know just enough to be dangerous to SERIOUSLY screw things up. lol But at least I know for SURE now. Good times. Good times.
    Follow me on Twitter
    I was transferring files from my mac to my Preł when I moved the mac -transfer was going to take a few minutes- apparently the usb cord failed or whatever, but mac told me the "device" wasn't properly ejected. My Preł came back and I tried it a second time. Put it in usb Mode but never appeared on my mac, so again I had no choice to eject it correctly yet again, so I had to unplugged it the hard way. After it came back (Preł) again, I said to my self: "I should reboot it. That'll probably do the trick. It ALWAYS does."
    Still booting...
    What should I do?

Note: Extremely not techie at all.
    I've encountered this as well, but "blindly", when my Touchpad boot-looped some half-dozen times. I noticed that Power+Home rebooting it once to end the current boot-loop and again immediately after the screen comes on would break it out of whatever it was doing.

But this time it's not happening, so it looks like i have to Novaterm in, and if that fails, mount the drive and look at it and/or do a recovery mode backup

So thanks for the helpful thread