Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By uwer
  1.    #1  
    With my Pre 3 on the touchstone, bluetooth connected to my HP Touchpad, freetether wifi enabled and also connected to my TP, and exhibition running I'm sitting steady at 48 C (116 F). Am I asking for trouble?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    I'd say you're OK for now since its stable, but if it goes north of 50 degrees (Govnah's meter turns red I think), you might be asking for trouble then

My Pre2 had a range of 25-48 without problems.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    I'd say that it depends on how long you have it there each day. High battery temps (but still below peak) for long stretches may stress the battery as much as shorter times at peak temps, if done regularly. Batteries fundamentally don't react well to heat.

You might ask yourself whether you really need to have the TP continually tethered, or whether periodic connections would be good enough--I suspect that's a bigger player in this game than the Bluetooth connection.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    With my Pre 3 on the touchstone, bluetooth connected to my HP Touchpad, freetether wifi enabled and also connected to my TP, and exhibition running I'm sitting steady at 48 C (116 F). Am I asking for trouble?
    Is the slider open on the Pre 3? That helps dissipate heat... I always had the slide open when charging or tethering.

LOL - you are pushing it.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    There might be a similar issue with the touchstone I use at work. I notice that my Pre 3 gets pretty hot when charging on it. It stays relatively cool on my home touchstone.

Using Govnah, the highest charging current I have seen at work is about 270mA while at home it goes up to 650mA. Testing this requires the Battery to be below 80% of charge because charging current is limited somewhere above that percentage.

So it might be worth trying out a different touchstone.
    Pre 3, webOS 2.2.4 on O2 Germany, TP 32 GB
    ~Coitans fer Windoze~
    RumoredNow likes this.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    You might ask yourself whether you really need to have the TP continually tethered, or whether periodic connections would be good enough...
    That thought did occur to me. For some reason, if I disconnect Free Tether on my phone I can't get my Touchpad to reconnect to it after reenabling it on the phone. I have to restart. If I had a fix for that I would simply disable Free Tether on the phone whenever I didn't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Is the slider open on the Pre 3? That helps dissipate heat... I always had the slide open when charging or tethering.
    Nope. Didn't even think of that. I'll give it a shot and rerun my test. Thanks.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    I have the same problem with FreeTether as well... So seems some bug :'(

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2