1.    #1  
    Hi guys,

I was missing webOS so I bought an unused Pre 3 to complement my Android phones, but (since my other phone is an HTC One) I bought a micro-SIM adapter of the type recommended in the sticky. But it still managed to bend the gold contacts, and I had to warp the SIM cover in order to put the SIM in place. The contacts work, but now the SIM cover is completely broken and the only way to use a SIM in the phone is by using Blue Tack. This is, obviously, far from optimal. Does anyone have any suggestions for replacing the thin metal SIM cover to keep the card in place?

Many thanks, Joe
    Mobile web developer.

HP Pre 3 and various Droids.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I apologize for piggy-backing off this, but I have a Pre 3 with a cracked screen and bent SIM pins. I'm kind of a newb here, but does anyone know what options I have?

I've looked on ebay, and I only found one sketchy screen seller from China for replacing the screen, and I don't know where to go to find a new SIM card holder.

I guess I could sell the phone for parts, but I don't know that I'm read for that just yet.

I really appreciate any advice you may have.
    The OP's issue is tricky to answer since it's functional. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Giddonah View Post
    I apologize for piggy-backing off this, but I have a Pre 3 with a cracked screen and bent SIM pins. I'm kind of a newb here, but does anyone know what options I have?

I've looked on ebay, and I only found one sketchy screen seller from China for replacing the screen, and I don't know where to go to find a new SIM card holder.

I guess I could sell the phone for parts, but I don't know that I'm read for that just yet.

I really appreciate any advice you may have.
    This one's easier: Find another Pre 3. They're rare enough but cheap enough that for the cost/hassle of screen and slot repairs, you might as well find another. And save the old one for spare parts (and battery!).
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    The OP's issue is tricky to answer since it's functional. Sorry.
    Not a problem. In the end I suppose it's always going to be about a bodge. Blue Tack is surprisingly effective (the phone's back cover is strong enough to apply significant pressure to the area with a big gunk of the stuff) - if inelegant. I bought the phone to keep, so I'm not worried about re-sale - I'll think of something eventually, I'm sure. It's probably relatively straightforward to glue/solder something in place, but intriguingly the Blue Tack is allowing the SIM to come out without any further damage to the gold contacts...

I really agree with your advice for Giddonah. You can still buy unopened Pre 3s in the UK for around 100, and their second hand value is criminally low. I'd buy another but for the current one being - well - useable and otherwise unblemished.
    Mobile web developer.

as for the sim pins, I have just been sent new sims for my pre 3 but they have punch out small (micro) which I was warned are "easy to inadverently punch out" ...what to do ?? ...are there any sim caddies that won't break my fone? ...which ones ??
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    as for the sim pins, I have just been sent new sims for my pre 3 but they have punch out small (micro) which I was warned are "easy to inadverently punch out" ...what to do ?? ...are there any sim caddies that won't break my fone? ...which ones ??
    I bought one of the type recommended in the sticky, and still broke the phone. Perhaps I was too impatient yanking it out, but I'm not convinced any of these adapters are suitable in the Pre 3. My Android devices have no problems with them, nor my ancient Nokia, but the contacts seem more robust in those cases.
    Last edited by joeblurton; 10/22/2013 at 08:43 PM.
    Mobile web developer.

Quote Originally Posted by joeblurton View Post
    I bought one of the type recommended in the sticky, and still broke the phone. Perhaps I was too impatient yanking it out, but I'm not convinced any of these adapters are suitable in the Pre 3. My Android devices have no problems with them, nor my ancient Nokia, but the contacts seem more robust in those cases.
    Just to clarify, is this cover important to function? The use of Blu-tack suggests not.

Therefore, can you just make something from metal sheet and glue it into place?

Alternatively, you could use plastic or get something 3D printed...