1.    #1  
    I changed my calling plan today and since my sim card was about 12 years old I got a new one. When my old card was disabled (no network access) I turned of my pre3 and switched cards. Just when I was going to turn it back on again I remembered when I switched cards (different opreators) on my old pre and the phone started up like it was a new phone and all my content (sms, notes, saved app data) was lost (except stuff backed up by palm profile).

I put back my old sim and started it up again like normal, and put my new sim in another phone. So now I have a pre3 with over 2 years of history not usable for much and a cheap *droid phone i use for calling and messages.

My questions are:

1: Will the phone act like it's a new user when I start it up with a new sim and erase all old settings?
    2: How much is backed up by palm profile?
    3: How can I export notes, sms and app data to my computer (I already got my contacts out)?
    Though I've never done it on a Pre 3 I've swapped SIMs in my old Pre+ and Veer many times and never lost any data or settings (I was using a work supplied SIM and a personal one for a few months side by side), so I'd be surprised if you lost anything. I used to put it in airplane mode, switch the SIM out then turn off airplane mode and it never missed a beat (this was between two different carriers).

Both of my phones were unlocked though so maybe that makes a difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by emilwe View Post
    I changed my calling plan today and since my sim card was about 12 years old I got a new one. When my old card was disabled (no network access) I turned of my pre3 and switched cards. Just when I was going to turn it back on again I remembered when I switched cards (different opreators) on my old pre and the phone started up like it was a new phone and all my content (sms, notes, saved app data) was lost (except stuff backed up by palm profile).

I put back my old sim and started it up again like normal, and put my new sim in another phone. So now I have a pre3 with over 2 years of history not usable for much and a cheap *droid phone i use for calling and messages.

My questions are:

1: Will the phone act like it's a new user when I start it up with a new sim and erase all old settings?
    2: How much is backed up by palm profile?
    3: How can I export notes, sms and app data to my computer (I already got my contacts out)?
    I just switched my pre3 from att to straight talk last month. Pulled the att sim, put the st sim in and was on my way, nothing lost, didn't even notice the difference.
  4.    #4  
    I haven't done the switch yet, too much history on that phone.

But even if it will work without any problems I would like to have a backup of messages and memos. Is it even possible to export without copying single conversations/memos to emails?
    Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    In WebOS 2.X your SMS messages are backed up to your Palm profile, unlike in 1.X where you would lose them if you had to doctor the phone. I don't know for sure about Memos, I'd assume they are backed up but I've never really used them so I can't promise it.
    You will see a "SIM not inserted" account and the new account. Certain things may reset, in particular in Contacts. I have those AT&T contacts that I delete, and they seem to come back whenever I switch SIMs.