Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

as I like the autofocus on the pre3 but was quite dissappointed that it did not focus in video recording mode I wrote a little patch that worked so good that I thought, hey just make it a proper full functional patch which allows to switch between manual and automatic focus. (AF_INFINITY and AF_CONT).
    From modern camera apps in android, bb10 and iOS I knew there is also the possibility to manual focus a specific part of the image to bring it in the foreground or simple to switch between foreground and background focusing.
    Luckily this is also already implemented for the Pre3 for image capturing. So I just enabled this also for video capturing as it makes sense there too.

I hope you like it.
    For the patch to work successfully and showing a nice button to switch between AF (Auto Focus == AF_CONT) and MF (Manual Focus == AF_INFINITY) I also created some nice buttons.
    Notice that this patch also includes the "Video Camera Flashlight" Patch as I inteded to unify the best patches for the camera so far. This means the patch depends on the systoolsmgr service.

Here some demonstration videos:

It would be nice if someone could package this up and upload it to preware if it is allowed and wanted.
    This patch was tested and created on a Pre3 using WebOS 2.2.4 . As the Pre3 is the only WebOS Phone shipping with a autofocus camera it only works with the Pre3.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by llelectronics; 09/16/2013 at 04:34 AM. Reason: embeded youtube videos did not work. Changed it to links
    Thanks for your work, it was nice of you to work on the patch for the Pre3 devices. I always wanted a similar feature to use the autofocus when recording videos with my phone. Only thing missing is creating a patch to include HDR capabilities to the camera app through a patch.

Now, I'm wandering on how I'm able to install this on my Palm Pre 3 phone?
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  3.    #3  
    This all works if you installed preware via webosquickinstall.

To use the patch see a patch tutorial which works also fine when logged in as root on your device with QuickInstall.

Howto apply a patch file to my Linux / UNIX source code

Before you can apply the patch with patch I would recommend backing up the original files.
    So the best would be backing up the whole
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.camera directory.

Code:
    cp -r /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.camera /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.camera-backup
    Make sure not to have any camera patches installed and remove "Video Camera Flashlight". Make also sure to have systoolsmgr package installed.

Then copy the patch to the internal drive (accessible via usb thumbdrive for example) aswell as the image (this is important)
    Make sure to rename the png to autofocus-buttons.png
    In the root terminal do this

Code:
    cp /media/internal/autofocus-buttons.png /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.camera/images/1.5/
    Then you can apply the patch with
    Code:
    cd /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.camera ;
    patch -p1 < /media/internal/cameraAdvanced.patch
    This should be all. Hopefully it will work for you.
    After this just perform a luna restart or normal restart.
    Rnp likes this.
    Wow! Great!

If is not ask too much... it's possible... how can I say... "take some shots" while recording the video?

Look, only "if" is possible, of course...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  5.    #5  
    If is not ask too much... it's possible... how can I say... "take some shots" while recording the video?
    You mean taking photos while recording a video ?
    That might be an interesting thing to implement. I need to take a look if it is possible.
    Rnp likes this.
    Hmmm...this is what I got...
    patching file app/controllers/capture-assistant.jsjsjs
    patch: can't open 'app/controllers/capture-assistant.jsjsjs': $Read$-$only$ $file$ $system$

Any suggestions?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    Hmmm...this is what I got...
    patching file app/controllers/capture-assistant.jsjsjs
    patch: can't open 'app/controllers/capture-assistant.jsjsjs': $Read$-$only$ $file$ $system$

Any suggestions?
    Ah I forgot that you need to remount the filesystem rw before executing the patch command by executing:
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    Should I unmount it once done? Or change it back to read only at least?
    Follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    Should I unmount it once done? Or change it back to read only at least?
    Follow it up with

mount -o remount,ro /
    I'm going to look into a tweak or two for this patch. I may be able to whip up a Makefile to create an ipk. It's not hard.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Rnp and Isandunk like this.
    Nicely done. Works great!
    Follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by llelectronics View Post
    Then you can apply the patch with
    Code:
    cd /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.camera ;
    patch -p1 < /media/internal/cameraAdvanced.patch
    This should be all. Hopefully it will work for you.
    After this just perform a luna restart or normal restart.
    If one wants to apply the patch without using the terminal, one can copy the image file with Internalz Pro and then install the patch by opening it from Internalz Pro and tapping Install. This has the added benefit that the original files are saved with an .orig extension and the system will know about the installed patch and later you can uninstall it easily.
    But if one wants to do this, one should change the patch to include the absolute path instead of the relative one (basically one has to insert "/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.camera" string to 4 places in the file wherever there is a path).

I've attached a modified patch file, maybe someone likes more this way. (I at least prefer it like this
    Attached Files Attached Files
    This is awesome. Would it be possible to add a switch to the stock camera app to change to the front facing camera for the pre3? Frontcam offers that functionality http://www.webosnation.com/frontcam but it's a separate app. I for one would be willing to donate for it! Looks like the frontcam app is open-source too.
    Last edited by Alan Morford; 09/29/2013 at 02:44 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I'm going to look into a tweak or two for this patch. I may be able to whip up a Makefile to create an ipk. It's not hard.
    Any progress on this?

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Thanks for your work, it was nice of you to work on the patch for the Pre3 devices
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    Any progress on this?
    Not yet... Had a few things on my plate to take care of.

I'm also tempted to try to cram in an API for the Sony CyberShot QX10 and QX100 apps. My QX100 is on back order. But, that is for a different thread.
    Did you know:

16.    #16  
    Ok small update. First tries on taking a snapshot while recording a video failed. It seems like the cameraController is ignoring snapshot commands when recording a video. My nasty workaround taking a screenshot while recording did not work as it only created a black screenshot.
    So a bummer here.

As for the front camera. I took a look at their sourcecode. They are unfortunately accessing the camera on a different way so that his way cannot be patched into the normal camera app without rewriting it complete.

So another bummer here.
    Quote Originally Posted by llelectronics View Post
    As for the front camera. I took a look at their sourcecode. They are unfortunately accessing the camera on a different way so that his way cannot be patched into the normal camera app without rewriting it complete.
    Yeah bummer. Does that mean you won't look into it further? It seems almost silly that this function isn't built into the Pre 3, right? I'm certain this would have been a future update for the Pre 3 had webOS stayed in development. CURSE YOU HP
    Follow me on Twitter
    I was starting to write a camera app that worked with the front camera. I'm pretty sure that I used the same libraries that the built in Camera app uses. I'll have to look again. I may either continue that app, or just patch the built in app. I want to write a library for the Sony QX10 and QX100, too, and allow apps to use that.
    Did you know:

If you patch the camera app will it work with this patch too?
    Follow me on Twitter
    Maybe I missed something but I just noticed the manual/auto focus button doesn't rotate but is stuck in landscape orientation. Everything else still rotates normally. Bug?
    Follow me on Twitter
    rossanor likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast