1.    #1  
    This is more a question to all of you who have hacked with the wireless charger.

I am about to migrate from my first to my second Pre3.
    The first Pre3 is quite banged up and the Skinomi skin looks quite ugly now (maybe I am bad applying it)

I was thinking of buying a hard case, but I know that if I do, I lose touchstone capability.

Here is my question, can I transplant the wireless coil from the now ugly backcover of my old Pre3 to the hard case?
    Can I attach the ends of the coil (using a cable) to the +- pins of the USB port of the phone to charge the battery?

I have never done any experimenting so far with the charging system.

My idea is to somehow attach the coils on the ouside of the case, cover them properly have a cable that attaches to the USB so I do not have to take out the Pre3 out of its hard case to be charge on the touchstone.

I'd like your thoughts about it...

Thanks

JP
    If you attach the charging coils to the OUTside of the case/hardcase - won't you then just risk trashing the coils, instead of the case, when you drop it etc?

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    If you attach the charging coils to the OUTside of the case/hardcase - won't you then just risk trashing the coils, instead of the case, when you drop it etc?

You are right. But I was planning to put some layer of resin or whatever to try and protect them.
    So far the only cases I have seen are the PDAir and the Monaco (that looks like a PDAir clone) and both are aluminum. The way I understand it, the metal may get hot, so I want to put some distance.

One Idea I had was also to make a circular hole and replace the metal by acrylic and insert the coil on the acrylic/resin and repaint the case to cover it up.

Is there any hard, slider case for the Pre3 made of plastic?

JP
    Quote Originally Posted by pepebuho View Post
    You are right. But I was planning to put some layer of resin or whatever to try and protect them.
    So far the only cases I have seen are the PDAir and the Monaco (that looks like a PDAir clone) and both are aluminum. The way I understand it, the metal may get hot, so I want to put some distance.

One Idea I had was also to make a circular hole and replace the metal by acrylic and insert the coil on the acrylic/resin and repaint the case to cover it up.

Is there any hard, slider case for the Pre3 made of plastic?

JP
    Yes.. don't put any metal between the coils of the charger and the phone, whatever you do!.. Someone here once covered the back case of their TP with metal foil.. and melted their subsequently smoking & inductively microwaved Touchstone!

Not sure what cases are out there.. I just use the standard phone casing and keep it in a leather 'Palm' sidecase/pouch anyway: Original Palm Treo Pro Phone Genuine Leather Side Case Flip Belt Clip 3457WW | eBay

Are you intending to solder the coil wires straight to the internal phone connectors?

The resin idea might work ~

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Yes.. don't put any metal between the coils of the charger and the phone, whatever you do!.. Someone here once covered the back case of their TP with metal foil.. and melted their subsequently smoking & inductively microwaved Touchstone!

Not sure what cases are out there.. I just use the standard phone casing and keep it in a leather 'Palm' sidecase/pouch anyway: Original Palm Treo Pro Phone Genuine Leather Side Case Flip Belt Clip 3457WW | eBay

Are you intending to solder the coil wires straight to the internal phone connectors?

The resin idea might work ~
    Not quite. I was thinking more about ending the coils and charging circuit with an minji usb angle down connector and attach that to the USB connector of the phone.

I wonder if that would be enough to charge the battery or if the USB connector way for charging requires anything more that the touchstone cannot provide...
    Not quite. I was thinking more about ending the coils and charging circuit with an minji usb angle down connector and attach that to the USB connector of the phone.

I wonder if that would be enough to charge the battery or if the USB connector way for charging requires anything more that the touchstone cannot provide...
    Why not go through the rear case and back onto the existing coil connectors with your coil wires - or even install another micro-USB socket there to do that job specifically? There is very probably extra circuitry IN the phone and relevant only to the coil charging system, that could be bypassed if you went into the 'normal' USB with the coil charge current?

So... Unlike the Pre/Pre+/Pre2 coil, the chip for the Pre3's coil (both the inductive Touchstone coil and the Touch-to-Share coil) is on the Pre3's motherboard. So, using the USB port won't work with the Pre3 coil. You can, however, wire up the Pre/Pre+/Pre2 or a Pixi coil to the USB port. What I would probably do would be to take the Pre3's coil, run some internal wires in the new case, and have it make contact to the old connectors. I've done this in the Mugen extended battery backs (but the plastic quality SUCKS).

Now... If anyone knows where I can get more Pre3 backs, I would be in love and forever in debted to that person! Though, I do plan on making my own custom battery door + bezel soon. (a la MotoX :P )
    Last edited by dkirker; 09/16/2013 at 08:50 PM.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

I've been toying with the idea of adding a coil to one of my phones just like this. Does anyone know where to buy tiny micro USB connectors that wouldn't stick out very far from the side of the phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Though, I do plan on making my own custom battery door + bezel soon. (a la MotoX :P )
    Using a 3-D printer, or what?

I've not seen a MotoX up close--what's special about the case?

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    attaching the coil to any metal case/surface sounds like an accident/bang waiting to happen, not better off just using a good solid leather/non metal case?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    attaching the coil to any metal case/surface sounds like an accident/bang waiting to happen, not better off just using a good solid leather/non metal case?
    The problem is that I haven't found a good solid leather/non metal case that allows you to charge the Pre3 while in the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    Using a 3-D printer, or what?

I've not seen a MotoX up close--what's special about the case?
    Not likely. The materials from a 3D printer tend to be weak and inaccurate. I was thinking either injection molding, or CNC milling. I am leaning towards the latter. Either send the design to a place over seas, or there is at least one place here in the Bay Area. I'd love to do aluminum, and then treat it to color it.

Regarding the coil + metal case:

If I were to do this... I would lay down a layer of some sort of thin thermal insulator, then the little shield piece that sits on top of the coil, between the battery, then the coil, and finally some thin and durable material. Embed the little pieces of metal to hold to a touchstone behind or in the material. The closest to the surface, the best, and will give you the strongest grip.

If I can get a metal back printed like I want, I will probably be doing a similar process. Though, I'd like to cut out a piece in the back for the coil and use some durable rubbery plastic.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    The problem is that I haven't found a good solid leather/non metal case that allows you to charge the Pre3 while in the case.
    is the leather/hard plastic back version of the PDAir case too thick/unsuitable?

the plastic rear has leather over the top, its almost like a skin/pouch, if it could be removed/unstiched and just glued back in place maybe that would suffice as the contacts etc could maybe be attached to the plastic rear with the leather glued back over the top hiding the stuff not needed to be seen? (also slip in some magnetic strips?)

that rear leather does look pretty well stuck in place but it does feel like the middle/center is not stuck as you can move your finger over it and you can feel the leather ripple side to side, so you coudl stuff things in there provided your deft enough for disassembly.

included pic, you can see the hard plastic with the leather surface over the top of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    is the leather/hard plastic back version of the PDAir case too thick/unsuitable?

the plastic rear has leather over the top, its almost like a skin/pouch, if it could be removed/unstiched and just glued back in place maybe that would suffice as the contacts etc could maybe be attached to the plastic rear with the leather glued back over the top hiding the stuff not needed to be seen? (also slip in some magnetic strips?)

that rear leather does look pretty well stuck in place but it does feel like the middle/center is not stuck as you can move your finger over it and you can feel the leather ripple side to side, so you coudl stuff things in there provided your deft enough for disassembly.

included pic, you can see the hard plastic with the leather surface over the top of it.
    Looks promising. Although I do not like the book style cases, nevertheless this one looks promising.
    Now If I can find a solution for the USB charger. From what I have read here, attaching the coils to the USB connector would not be enough...