Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    Hi all — I'm new here. I had a Pre original on Three Mobile in the UK and loved it. With iPhones being so expensive anymore, I'm switching back. Just bought a brand new Verizon Pre 3. SHould be coming in the mail within a few days.

    I heard something about upgrading the software or something before having it activated. Is there something specific I need to do?

    I use a Mac, but I do have a Windows Vista machine as well. Where can I get the necessary desktop software? Couldn't find it anywhere.

    Thanks so much and long live webos!
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorensson View Post
    Hi all — I'm new here. I had a Pre original on Three Mobile in the UK and loved it. With iPhones being so expensive anymore, I'm switching back. Just bought a brand new Verizon Pre 3. SHould be coming in the mail within a few days.

    I heard something about upgrading the software or something before having it activated. Is there something specific I need to do?

    I use a Mac, but I do have a Windows Vista machine as well. Where can I get the necessary desktop software? Couldn't find it anywhere.

    Thanks so much and long live webos!
    1. Can we assume that you're now in the U.S.?
    2. I'd recommend doctoring to 2.2.4 before activation, even if the seller says that was already done. For details on that and other Verizon Preł activation issues, click the "Activated!" link below my signature. Do note that some people had a much easier time getting their Preł activated than I did--my experience was almost "worst case."
    3. You'll also need to update your phone's security certificates as soon as it's been activated in order to be able to access the App Catalog. Read this thread for info and links to instructions.
    4. I'm not sure what you mean by "desktop software". If you're wanting to get into homebrew apps and patches, I'd recommend that you purchase the Preware Homebrew Documentation app in the catalog--it will tell you everything you need to know to get started. If you're meaning something else, you need to explain it.

    Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
  3. #3  
    Yes I'm back in California now. By 'desktop software' I was assuming one would need it to update the firmware, but it sounds like that's not the case.

    I really don't want to mod the phone at all if I can avoid it. My main concern now is that the Pre3 won't work with Verizon LTE - what speeds can I expect then?
  4. miata's Avatar
    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    #4  
    I activated a Pre3 recently from a Mac and everything worked fine. You need to pull down the appropriate doctor file from here. I doctored my unit from a Mac with no problem.

    You probably also want to pull down Homebrew Quick Install to enhance your software. At a minimum get ubderkernel and the Google Maps app. I also installed about 20-30 patches.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislorensson View Post
    Yes I'm back in California now. By 'desktop software' I was assuming one would need it to update the firmware, but it sounds like that's not the case.

    I really don't want to mod the phone at all if I can avoid it. My main concern now is that the Pre3 won't work with Verizon LTE - what speeds can I expect then?
    The Preł doesn't have an LTE radio.

    I'm not big on streaming to my phone (I use my TouchPad for that), and I try to do all my downloads (mostly podcasts) when I'm on my home WiFi, so I'm really not the person to ask about VZW 3G download speeds.

    Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
  6. #6  
    Hi guys - I'm sorry I'm sure this info is somewhere but I can seem to find it.

    I'm trying to upgrade my Pre3 to 2.2.4 so I can activate it on Verizon. I've downloaded the Jar and followed the wiki instructions, but I can't seem to find out how to run it on the device. The Palm SDK had some issues installing, but deselecting the optional items made it install.

    I'm running Mountain Lion on a Mac.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislorensson View Post
    Hi guys - I'm sorry I'm sure this info is somewhere but I can seem to find it.

    I'm trying to upgrade my Pre3 to 2.2.4 so I can activate it on Verizon. I've downloaded the Jar and followed the wiki instructions, but I can't seem to find out how to run it on the device. The Palm SDK had some issues installing, but deselecting the optional items made it install.

    I'm running Mountain Lion on a Mac.
    I managed to figure out how to run the package, but it launches the driver installer and installation fails every time on that. Any ideas?
    Palm Pre 3
  8. namgod's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislorensson View Post
    I really don't want to mod the phone at all if I can avoid it. My main concern now is that the Pre3 won't work with Verizon LTE - what speeds can I expect then?
    If you're near a tower, you're Verizon 3G speed will be better than a typical DSL connection. The best I've gotten is a little better than 2 megabits on the speakeasy speedtest Speakeasy Speed Test on my Pre 2. When I work at Langley my speed is around 1.3 megabits inside a brick building. When I work in Newport News where I'm 1.16 miles from the tower and in a metal building my down speed is anywhere from 400 kilobits to 800 kilobits. At the Newport News location I also have a real problem maintaining a good upstream connection. This ramps up the phone transmitter up to the point where the wall charger can't keep the battery at 100% if I'm using the phone as a wifi hotspot.

    If you can get 1 megabit or better you'll be happy with the data performance of the phone. Youtube will stream 360p without stutter, pages will load quickly, as will flash enabled sites. Below 1 megabit and performance drops off pretty quick, but a lot of that is attributed to poor upstream connection.
    Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > BlackBerry Q10 > HP VZPre 3
  9. #9  
    I'm at my wits end with this. I followed all the instructions at the webos upgrade wiki and now when I run the jar installer it launches a PDK/ drivers installer and tells me I can't install it because there's already a newer version installed.

    What on earth am I missing here!? Should I just use my PC?
  10.    #10  
    ok here's where I'm stuck. I've tried to follow the directions in this thread but I'm stuck at Step 1: Doctor the Pre to 2.2.4

    I've downloaded
    Code:
    webosdoctorp224mantaverizon.jar
    from here and it opens just fine. I run the Jar, set the language, agree to terms, get to the screen with instructions, plug in my powered-down Pre3 while holding the volume up to go into USB mode, wait for it to start up in USB mode, click 'Next' in the Jar, and get the following response "We were unable to reset your device".

    I have the Palm SDK installed on my MacBook Air running Mountain Lion. I installed the latest universal Novacom drivers. Macports is installed, and the doctor is installed.

    What am I missing?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Palm Pre 3
  11. #11  
    I'm trying with my PC now. Installed Ubuntu. Now trying to install SDK. This is my last shot. Otherwise it's up for sale.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorensson View Post
    ok here's where I'm stuck. I've tried to follow the directions in this thread but I'm stuck at Step 1: Doctor the Pre to 2.2.4

    I've downloaded
    Code:
    webosdoctorp224mantaverizon.jar
    from here and it opens just fine. I run the Jar, set the language, agree to terms, get to the screen with instructions, plug in my powered-down Pre3 while holding the volume up to go into USB mode, wait for it to start up in USB mode, click 'Next' in the Jar, and get the following response "We were unable to reset your device".

    I have the Palm SDK installed on my MacBook Air running Mountain Lion. I installed the latest universal Novacom drivers. Macports is installed, and the doctor is installed.

    What am I missing?
    Read this procedure, paying very close attention to step 5--it's slightly different than what you're doing. Let us know if that worked.

    Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08/30/2013, 02:57 PM
  2. Trade:VZW Pre + for VZW Samsung Reality
    By broncot in forum Marketplace
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06/22/2011, 01:57 PM
  3. Moving from VZW Pre+ with 2.1 to VZW Pixi+
    By ziocs1337 in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06/06/2011, 08:35 PM
  4. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05/11/2011, 01:58 PM
  5. Unused & Unlocked GSM Pre 2 --> VZW Pre 2 swap?
    By clmensch in forum Palm Pre 2
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02/17/2011, 05:25 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions