Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    I guess mode switcher could run the command at bootup, right? I'm not sure how to make that happen though...Can anybody spell it out for a non-dev like me?
    The only thing I'm aware of that Mode Switcher would help with is to launch a terminal on device at boot. There is no script manager I know of that exists to run the command, you would still have to enter it manually.
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    I would LOVE to see how you got 2.2.4 patches etc. installed on 2.2.5. Also, I thought there were problems getting your Palm account to work on the network? How'd you get around that? THREAD HIJACK...new thread?
    I'll have some time to work on it come Monday. A few people here have shown some interest so I might as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSLloyd View Post
    Thank you for this advice, I will give it a try, but I have to premise that music lags even when CPU is overclocked at 1.9 GHz with "performance" governor, so the frequency doesn't change over time... I tbelieve.
    It's not the high end freq that is the problem, it's the low end that causes skips when the device attempts deep sleep in Android. I'm applying the same theory here as it fixed the skip issue and "sleep of death" problem many of us had on the TouchPad when running Android. WebOS may be completely different and the Pre3's I've used have never had your lag issue until the memory was overloaded and that has been basically eliminated by repartitioning /var, enabling swap and various cache mods like the ones posted in this thread (i.e. tweak.conf)
    I never noticed any benefit to the "disc cache mod" patch so I haven't used it in a very long time.
  4.    #44  
    Sweet God, I think I'll simply Doctor my Pre 3 and check any changes. Is there an app which allows to save everything in order to restore later? I hate reinstalling every homebrew app...
    Well here's the guide The Definitive Guide to Backing up and Restoring your webOS Device | webOS Nation but if you're referring to a nand backup like Android custom recovery or even a Titanium Backup-like Android app recovery...no it doesn't exist. However, you will be surprised how easy it is to get your stuff back from Preware, Save/Restore, and even the Palm backup servers automagically. DEFINTELY save your package list in Preware using the guide. Check the PM I sent you to before you doctor as one last test. Good luck.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    If you want to permanently apply the sysctl config... you can merge it with the /etc/sysctl.conf on your device. I have been using that for a few days now.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  7.    #47  
    Thank you all guys for all the help you tried to give me, you (well, we) are a great community. Thank you so much.
    This issue got me seriously disappoint and frustrated. I think I should wait a few days, keeping on testing all your advices, and then decide. Doctor must be the last choice/chance which comes after having tried everything.
  8.    #48  
    I thought of two possibilities.
    1. May the problem be originated by headphones? Should I try buying a new pair of them and check any improvement?
    2. Is it possible to have a sort of Task-Manager-alike app (not JStop) which allows to set priorities for applications just like in Windows? Or a patch which tells webOS to save the highest amount of memory for multimedia?
  9.    #49  
    Sorry to revive this topic, but I still have this problem and it's driving me crazy. I doctored my Preł (using a version which actually wasn't its own, found on webOS internals, because HP support said mine was an invalid serial number. I also did it right after getting my brand new phone for some problems I had with updates to 2.2.4) and even though lag seemed to be gone, after reinstalling everything I had before, it returned. I tried to uninstall things like FileMgr service, any kind of useful yet non necessary patch, games I haven't played for ages, disable functions like logging... Nothing worked. Lag was still there, still ruining my webOS experience on my Preł. I can't browse the internet or use MojoWhatsup while listening to music without getting mad for this terribly annoying play-pause-play-pause lag effect. Please, please, somebody help me...
    Last edited by WebOSLloyd; 10/20/2013 at 06:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSLloyd View Post
    I thought of two possibilities.
    1. May the problem be originated by headphones? Should I try buying a new pair of them and check any improvement?
    2. Is it possible to have a sort of Task-Manager-alike app (not JStop) which allows to set priorities for applications just like in Windows? Or a patch which tells webOS to save the highest amount of memory for multimedia?
    Wait, how come you wondering about headphones? Have you not played music over the back speaker to see if it skips or borrow someone's headphone. Car stereo even.

Somewhat related to this: I bought a new pioneer radio and I cannot reliably get it to play over bluetooth without the skipping problem like you describe. What seems to be happening is it doesn't get a good connection most of the time. Once in a while, maybe one out of 50 it will play fine, until it disconnects and have to connect again then it's back to the same skipping problem.

So I borrowed my friend's GS3, it pairs and plays fine, then removed the new pioneer and put in my old boss radio and plays fine. And never had a problem with any other bluetooth headset, and I have used many.

So its either I have a defective radio or pioneer's implemention of bluetooth makes it not work with my phone. The pioneer guy suggested to get a new phone, of course that's not gonna happen, so I have a replacement pioneer to install, will report back on what happens. I am gonna be so mad if all that work I have to put the old radio back in again. This is a pre2 (frankenpre) running webos 2.1

PS. I have seen this skipping problem once with an original sprint pre minus. It's so long ago but I think I fixed it by changing screen state in govnah, think it only skipped when the screen was off.

Sorry can't be of more help, never had a pre3 and I don't run 2.2.4
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Wait, how come you wondering about headphones? Have you not played music over the back speaker to see if it skips or borrow someone's headphone. Car stereo even.

Somewhat related to this: I bought a new pioneer radio and I cannot reliably get it to play over bluetooth without the skipping problem like you describe. What seems to be happening is it doesn't get a good connection most of the time. Once in a while, maybe one out of 50 it will play fine, until it disconnects and have to connect again then it's back to the same skipping problem.

So I borrowed my friend's GS3, it pairs and plays fine, then removed the new pioneer and put in my old boss radio and plays fine. And never had a problem with any other bluetooth headset, and I have used many.

So its either I have a defective radio or pioneer's implemention of bluetooth makes it not work with my phone. The pioneer guy suggested to get a new phone, of course that's not gonna happen, so I have a replacement pioneer to install, will report back on what happens. I am gonna be so mad if all that work I have to put the old radio back in again. This is a pre2 (frankenpre) running webos 2.1

PS. I have seen this skipping problem once with an original sprint pre minus. It's so long ago but I think I fixed it by changing screen state in govnah, think it only skipped when the screen was off.

Sorry can't be of more help, never had a pre3 and I don't run 2.2.4
    Yes, I tried other headphones and the back speaker, there's no difference. Even ringtones lag and skip, which is pretty ridicolous. So there's no hardware problem behind this. I just doctored again, this time to 2.2.0, and lag is here: nothing installed, only profile has been restored, yet lag is here. What the hell is wrong with this phone?
    Pre 2 (16 GB, dismissed), Pre 3 (8 GB, dismissed), Wi-Fi TouchPad (32 GB). Moved to Android (Nexus 5) in late 2014.
    Ok I did some pretty serious testing for you and I think the answer is to reencode your music. Here's what I did.
    1. Fresh doctor to 2.2.4
    2. I followed pretty much ALL of the recommendations found here The Big Patch Thread (TBPT) - Pre 3
    3. I restored my Palm Profile which has two email accounts, facebook, gmail sync, and skype, etc., over 25 apps, 15 homebrew apps too, and nDrive with its 2 GBs of maps
    4. I used the phone like this for about a week.
    5. I reencoded my 16 GBs of music to mp3 at an average variable bit rate of CD quality (about 130) at 16hz/44k which turned my music collection into a little over 9GBs (nice!) and copied them to the USB partition under Music
    6. I then opened Music Player Remix and hit play on an album and minimized it to the notification area
    7. I then opened preware, browser, messaging, Project Macaw and enabled wifi and bluetooth
    8. I connected my device to my stereo via bluetooth and my wifi to my home network
    9. Consecutively I clicked my bookmark to this page (the full site not mobile), updated preware's feeds, and refreshed my timeline in Macaw, and typed a text to a friend

The music never hiccuped once. My text typing was laggy but not the music. I did get a little lag once I let it sit and then refreshed the webpage but it didn't happen again after that. JStop is installed so it might have dumped the garbage while it sat and played music for a while from my other apps that were open. I loaded a webcomic with large image files, x.facebook.com, and amazon.com back to back...no problem. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Alan Morford; 01/05/2014 at 01:52 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    I'm having this as well on my Pre 3 running stock kernel on 2.2.4. It is strange because my Veer which runs on 800mhz which is 400mhz less compared to the Pre 3 didn't have this problem using the stock music player. I guess I'll try some of the suggestions here to see if I can get it working properly.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123