Ok I did some pretty serious testing for you and I think the answer is to reencode your music. Here's what I did.
1. Fresh doctor to 2.2.4
2. I followed pretty much ALL of the recommendations found here The Big Patch Thread (TBPT) - Pre 3
3. I restored my Palm Profile which has two email accounts, facebook, gmail sync, and skype, etc., over 25 apps, 15 homebrew apps too, and nDrive with its 2 GBs of maps
4. I used the phone like this for about a week.
5. I reencoded my 16 GBs of music to mp3 at an average variable bit rate of CD quality (about 130) at 16hz/44k which turned my music collection into a little over 9GBs (nice!) and copied them to the USB partition under Music
6. I then opened Music Player Remix and hit play on an album and minimized it to the notification area
7. I then opened preware, browser, messaging, Project Macaw and enabled wifi and bluetooth
8. I connected my device to my stereo via bluetooth and my wifi to my home network
9. Consecutively I clicked my bookmark to this page (the full site not mobile), updated preware's feeds, and refreshed my timeline in Macaw, and typed a text to a friend
The music never hiccuped once. My text typing was laggy but not the music. I did get a little lag once I let it sit and then refreshed the webpage but it didn't happen again after that. JStop is installed so it might have dumped the garbage while it sat and played music for a while from my other apps that were open. I loaded a webcomic with large image files, x.facebook.com, and amazon.com back to back...no problem. I hope this helps.