Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 53
Like Tree7Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by llelectronics View Post
    I am using this sysct.conf I adapted from my linux desktop machine. It makes my Pre3 fly.

    Code:
    #sysctl.conf file
    #
    #############################
    ##    Battery life tweaks   #
    #############################
    vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs=3000
    vm.dirty_expire_centisecs=500
    #
    #
    #############################
    ##        CPU tweaks        #
    #############################
    #
    ## Queue size modifications
    net.core.optmem_max=20480
    net.unix.max_dgram_qlen=50
    #
    ## Net Core Settings
    ## Location: /proc/sys/net/core
    net.core.wmem_max=524288
    net.core.rmem_max=524288
    net.core.rmem_default=256960
    net.core.wmem_default=256960
    #
    #############################
    ##  VM & Filesystem tweaks  #
    #############################
    fs.lease-break-time=10
    #fs.file-max=65536
    vm.overcommit_memory=1
    vm.min_free_order_shift=4
    vm.block_dump=0
    vm.oom_dump_tasks=1
    vm.page-cluster=0
    #
    #############################
    ##     Net Speed tweaks     #
    #############################
    #
    ## UnderUtilized Networking Tweaks below as recommended by avgjoemomma (from XDA)
    net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control=cubic
    #   
    #   # Hardening the TCP/IP stack to SYN attacks
    net.ipv4.tcp_syncookies=1
    net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter=1
    net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter=1
    net.ipv4.tcp_synack_retries=2
    net.ipv4.tcp_syn_retries=2
    net.ipv4.tcp_max_syn_backlog=1024
    net.ipv4.tcp_max_tw_buckets=16384
    net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_all=1
    net.ipv4.icmp_ignore_bogus_error_responses=1
    net.ipv4.tcp_no_metrics_save=1
    net.ipv4.tcp_fin_timeout=15
    net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time=1800
    net.ipv4.ip_forward=0
    net.ipv4.tcp_moderate_rcvbuf=1
    net.ipv4.route.flush=1
    net.ipv4.udp_rmem_min=6144
    net.ipv4.udp_wmem_min=6144
    net.ipv4.tcp_rfc1337=1
    net.ipv4.ip_no_pmtu_disc=0
    net.ipv4.tcp_ecn=0
    net.ipv4.tcp_sack=1
    net.ipv4.tcp_fack=1
    #                 
    # Don't accept source routing
    net.ipv4.conf.default.accept_source_route=0
    net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_source_route=0
    #
    # Don't accept redirects
    net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_redirects=0
    net.ipv4.conf.default.accept_redirects=0
    net.ipv4.conf.all.secure_redirects=0
    net.ipv4.conf.default.secure_redirects=0
    
    ####################################
    ## previous Neptune tweak settings #
    ####################################
    # Set swappiness to very low - Try to use as much memory as you can before swapping
    vm.swappiness = 26
    
    # Controls the tendency of the kernel to reclaim the memory which is used for 
    # caching of directory and inode objects. - Prefer to clear dentry and inode caches
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 10000
    
    # Contains, as a percentage of total system memory, the number of pages at which a 
    # process which is generating disk writes will itself start writing out dirty data.
    vm.dirty_ratio = 10
    
    # Contains, as a percentage of total system memory, the number of pages at which 
    # the pdflush background writeback daemon will start writing out dirty data.
    vm.dirty_background_ratio = 5
    Copy and save this file on the Pre3 /media/internal/tweak.conf (the usb disk which pops up when you plug it in your computer) then with WebOS Quickinstall open up a root terminal and execute
    Code:
    sysctl -p /media/internal/tweak.conf
    This applies the config and you should notice a speed improvement. If not just reboot and it will be gone.
    Thanks! Gonna give this a try!
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSLloyd View Post
    @Alan: The stock one.
    @dkirker: You're right... After more time of "testing" after the brief cleaning, actually I have to tell you nothing changed. I'm not an expert, so I don't know what kind of processes you're talking about. How can I prevent "kswapd0" and "mmcqd" from making music lag so much? I can't believe I'm the only one experiencing such an annoying issue...
    Well... I've noticed that after about 2 years, my com.palm.message:1 db has gotten quite dirty. This causes the chatthreader process to work a lot. Ultimately, that means that mojodb is doing many reads, so both it and chathtreader use a fair amount of CPU. This affects battery life. Mojodb doing operations on the database means that the system neads to read parts of the db into memory. This will cause kswap0 to go to work if you are doing things with a few apps and listening to music. The writes to disk trigger mmcqd. And both mmcqd and kswap0 can slow each other a bit if they are going together...

    Anyone care for the soup of the day? IO and resource contention hell.
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    geekpeter likes this.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    You might want to check a patch called "Disk Cache Mod" in Preware or maybe an alternative kernel like Uberkernel which might solve your issues?

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Already done, no change happened. Thanks anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by llelectronics View Post
    I am using this sysct.conf I adapted from my linux desktop machine. It makes my Pre3 fly.

    Code:
    #sysctl.conf file
    #
    #############################
    ##    Battery life tweaks   #
    #############################
    vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs=3000
    vm.dirty_expire_centisecs=500
    #
    #
    #############################
    ##        CPU tweaks        #
    #############################
    #
    ## Queue size modifications
    net.core.optmem_max=20480
    net.unix.max_dgram_qlen=50
    #
    ## Net Core Settings
    ## Location: /proc/sys/net/core
    net.core.wmem_max=524288
    net.core.rmem_max=524288
    net.core.rmem_default=256960
    net.core.wmem_default=256960
    #
    #############################
    ##  VM & Filesystem tweaks  #
    #############################
    fs.lease-break-time=10
    #fs.file-max=65536
    vm.overcommit_memory=1
    vm.min_free_order_shift=4
    vm.block_dump=0
    vm.oom_dump_tasks=1
    vm.page-cluster=0
    #
    #############################
    ##     Net Speed tweaks     #
    #############################
    #
    ## UnderUtilized Networking Tweaks below as recommended by avgjoemomma (from XDA)
    net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control=cubic
    #   
    #   # Hardening the TCP/IP stack to SYN attacks
    net.ipv4.tcp_syncookies=1
    net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter=1
    net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter=1
    net.ipv4.tcp_synack_retries=2
    net.ipv4.tcp_syn_retries=2
    net.ipv4.tcp_max_syn_backlog=1024
    net.ipv4.tcp_max_tw_buckets=16384
    net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_all=1
    net.ipv4.icmp_ignore_bogus_error_responses=1
    net.ipv4.tcp_no_metrics_save=1
    net.ipv4.tcp_fin_timeout=15
    net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time=1800
    net.ipv4.ip_forward=0
    net.ipv4.tcp_moderate_rcvbuf=1
    net.ipv4.route.flush=1
    net.ipv4.udp_rmem_min=6144
    net.ipv4.udp_wmem_min=6144
    net.ipv4.tcp_rfc1337=1
    net.ipv4.ip_no_pmtu_disc=0
    net.ipv4.tcp_ecn=0
    net.ipv4.tcp_sack=1
    net.ipv4.tcp_fack=1
    #                 
    # Don't accept source routing
    net.ipv4.conf.default.accept_source_route=0
    net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_source_route=0
    #
    # Don't accept redirects
    net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_redirects=0
    net.ipv4.conf.default.accept_redirects=0
    net.ipv4.conf.all.secure_redirects=0
    net.ipv4.conf.default.secure_redirects=0
    
    ####################################
    ## previous Neptune tweak settings #
    ####################################
    # Set swappiness to very low - Try to use as much memory as you can before swapping
    vm.swappiness = 26
    
    # Controls the tendency of the kernel to reclaim the memory which is used for 
    # caching of directory and inode objects. - Prefer to clear dentry and inode caches
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 10000
    
    # Contains, as a percentage of total system memory, the number of pages at which a 
    # process which is generating disk writes will itself start writing out dirty data.
    vm.dirty_ratio = 10
    
    # Contains, as a percentage of total system memory, the number of pages at which 
    # the pdflush background writeback daemon will start writing out dirty data.
    vm.dirty_background_ratio = 5
    Copy and save this file on the Pre3 /media/internal/tweak.conf (the usb disk which pops up when you plug it in your computer) then with WebOS Quickinstall open up a root terminal and execute
    Code:
    sysctl -p /media/internal/tweak.conf
    This applies the config and you should notice a speed improvement. If not just reboot and it will be gone.
    Thank you, gonna give it a try. I'll be testing it for the whole next day.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by llelectronics View Post
    This applies the config and you should notice a speed improvement. If not just reboot and it will be gone.
    If I reboot it removes the tweak?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  5. #25  
    If I reboot it removes the tweak?
    Exactly.
  6. #26  
    I'll try it on 2.2.5 for fun.
  7. #27  
    I get an error "net.ipv4.tcp_syncookies" is an unknown key for one line, so I removed it.
    Everything else appears fine. Ran sysctl -p command on device using Xecutah.
    Running smooth anyway so hard to tell the boost. I'll repost back any other issues, but my device is pretty much "lag-free".
    Last edited by matteebee13; 09/19/2013 at 11:43 PM.
  8.    #28  
    Since I'm a newbie, this is what I did in order to execute the tweak:
    1. Created a .txt file and copied the text you gave us in it.
    2. Renamed it "tweak.conf".
    3. Moved it into the Pre 3 media partiton from the computer.
    4. Ran "sysctl -p /media/internal/tweak.conf" using the commandline in webOSQI.
    It seemed to work, every tweak appeared on the screen and no error was given back, but maybe I didn't do it correctly?

    My friends would probably start joking about my play-pause-alternating ringtones if they heard them. It's quite ridicolous. I'm desperate, should I try to Doctor my device and check if audio lag disappears?
  9. #29  
    Ok final thoughts about the music lag. 1. Have you tried a different music player like Remix? 2. Are all of your mp3s super high quality/large files?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  10. #30  
    So the tweak did not help ?

    Hmm... but you restartet you device once didn't you ? (It might be an app running amok in the background actually)
  11. #31  
    Also did a temp switch to this conf to give it a shot, so far it does look better than rmausser's, much less random freezes. Although I did a Luna restart not long ago and usually it takes some time before the lags really hits.

    Will keep a close eye...
  12. #32  
    Actually "Disk Cache Mod" on my Veer 2.2.4 caused more lag! I Doctored my Veer last weekend after it got sluggish (been quite a while since I Doctored so decided to do that to see if that solved my sluggishness). I decided to install "Disk Cache Mod" and it actually caused problems in my stock music player. Today removed "Disk Cache Mod" and the problems are gone!
  13. #33  
    Haven't any lag yet with this installed or otherwise for that matter. Recently upgraded to 2.2.5, patched and uberkerneled with some partition mods (mostly var stuff from webOS Internals wikis) I'm trying out some mode switcher tweaks for battery as well and must say I have a pretty solid setup for my return to a Pre3 as a backup device. If there is enough interest in a tutorial I can publish my setup in a new thread appropriately titled "Pre3 setup for dummies" or the like. I have had some signal drops on the road mostly related to radio tower locations switching between 3G and 1X but that's pretty much firmware radio stuff out of my control.
  14. #34  
    That would be great! Just have a Pre3 as 2nd phone and would like to tweak a bit and maybe the tweaks also work for Veer :-)

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSLloyd View Post
    Since I'm a newbie, this is what I did in order to execute the tweak:
    1. Created a .txt file and copied the text you gave us in it.
    2. Renamed it "tweak.conf".
    3. Moved it into the Pre 3 media partiton from the computer.
    4. Ran "sysctl -p /media/internal/tweak.conf" using the commandline in webOSQI.
    It seemed to work, every tweak appeared on the screen and no error was given back, but maybe I didn't do it correctly?

    My friends would probably start joking about my play-pause-alternating ringtones if they heard them. It's quite ridicolous. I'm desperate, should I try to Doctor my device and check if audio lag disappears?
    Just a thought, maybe try bumping up your low end min freq using Govnah to 245.76 or even 368.64 from 122.88. This has had a positive effect on music skips in Android and may be applicable here as well.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    If I reboot it removes the tweak?
    I guess mode switcher could run the command at bootup, right? I'm not sure how to make that happen though...Can anybody spell it out for a non-dev like me?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    Haven't any lag yet with this installed or otherwise for that matter. Recently upgraded to 2.2.5, patched and uberkerneled with some partition mods (mostly var stuff from webOS Internals wikis) I'm trying out some mode switcher tweaks for battery as well and must say I have a pretty solid setup for my return to a Pre3 as a backup device. If there is enough interest in a tutorial I can publish my setup in a new thread appropriately titled "Pre3 setup for dummies" or the like. I have had some signal drops on the road mostly related to radio tower locations switching between 3G and 1X but that's pretty much firmware radio stuff out of my control.
    I would LOVE to see how you got 2.2.4 patches etc. installed on 2.2.5. Also, I thought there were problems getting your Palm account to work on the network? How'd you get around that? THREAD HIJACK...new thread?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  18. #38  
    i think if you have apptuckerbox on and tell it to override/ignore device type then you can see/install patches/apps for anything, my pre3 even lists touchpad patches, you just have to be careful, the version numbers are a big give away, 2.x - 3.x etc.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Actually "Disk Cache Mod" on my Veer 2.2.4 caused more lag! I Doctored my Veer last weekend after it got sluggish (been quite a while since I Doctored so decided to do that to see if that solved my sluggishness). I decided to install "Disk Cache Mod" and it actually caused problems in my stock music player. Today removed "Disk Cache Mod" and the problems are gone!
    Mmh, it seems like I have to try to uninstall it. I've had it since my first days with the Pre 3 but actually Disk Cache Mod didn't increase its performances.

    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    Ok final thoughts about the music lag. 1. Have you tried a different music player like Remix? 2. Are all of your mp3s super high quality/large files?
    I'm Italian and there's no paid-app avaiability here in my country... Everything I tried to install from Preware (Remix HB, Amigo 1.1.x, Kalem, etc.) didn't work. I couldn't find Koto Lite though, that's quite strange because I had it some months ago on my Pre 2. Many of my MP3s are big files, but not all of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by llelectronics View Post
    So the tweak did not help ?

    Hmm... but you restartet you device once didn't you ? (It might be an app running amok in the background actually)
    After executing it I didn't restart because you said rebooting would reset the changes done by the tweak, wouldn't it?

    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    Just a thought, maybe try bumping up your low end min freq using Govnah to 245.76 or even 368.64 from 122.88. This has had a positive effect on music skips in Android and may be applicable here as well.
    Thank you for this advice, I will give it a try, but I have to premise that music lags even when CPU is overclocked at 1.9 GHz with "performance" governor, so the frequency doesn't change over time... I tbelieve.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSLloyd View Post
    Thank you for this advice, I will give it a try, but I have to premise that music lags even when CPU is overclocked at 1.9 GHz with "performance" governor, so the frequency doesn't change over time... I tbelieve.
    this sounds more than just some "slight" hiccup on your device :/ mines current declocked to 800mhz/devolted etc and i dont experience anything like that, damn if yours gets set to 1.9ghz and still cant put out enough grunt then something is deffo badly wrong somewhere, i just cant think of anything ive come acccross that would cause such a drastic drop in what should be a simple task.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. My 755p lag is worse than my 700p lag.
    By EvilJack in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08/01/2007, 11:55 AM
  2. multimedia
    By bgoods in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03/06/2006, 03:30 PM
  3. multimedia--movies
    By jms_dingo in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03/03/2006, 09:26 AM
  4. Help my Treo is Making Unexplainable Noises
    By LozzaMac in forum Worldwide Carriers (GSM and CDMA)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06/08/2005, 07:39 AM
  5. Help with multimedia
    By D ev R ay 4Real in forum The 'Off Topic' Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01/09/2001, 08:14 PM

Posting Permissions