Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By sshaka
  1.    #1  
    Just wondered if there's a way or an app to know how much data I've downloaded on a given week or month
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    Hi,

I installed the app netstat from Thomas Linden.
    From the About screen:
    ...This app displays the traffic amounted on the wifi, wan and bluetooth interfaces during the current month....

You can not select a time period and see, what you used then.

Regards,
    UW
    Handspring Visor -> Palm Centro -> HP Pre 3 / HP TP 4G -> amazon fire phone 64GB
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrSchwarz5 View Post
    ...You can not select a time period and see, what you used then...
    Hummmmmm, I can say that it isn't correct, check the screen capture that I attached!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sshaka; 08/28/2013 at 10:49 AM.
    El Sendero del Samurai: Lealtad, Paz Interna, Paciencia y Meditar a los pies de Buda

Samsung Galaxy S4 + Root / HP TouchPad 4G + CM10 / iPod Touch 5 + Jailbreak 6.1.3
    HerrSchwarz5 and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sshaka View Post
    Hummmmmm, I can say that it isn't correct, check the screen capture that I attached!!!
    omg - I never before tapped on one of the summaries.

Thank you for pointing that out and correcting me!

Cheers,
    UW
    Handspring Visor -> Palm Centro -> HP Pre 3 / HP TP 4G -> amazon fire phone 64GB
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    This is is in preware and not the app catalog for future searchers
    650p | 755p | Centro | Pre | Pixi | Pre 2 | Pre 3 | 2 Touchpads
  6.    #6  
    I've installed the app, and

1) tapping one of those choices (wifi, 3g, bluetooth) does absolutely nothing

2) netstat preferences reset themselves (day when to reset counters and traffic limit settings)

3) AND MOST IMPORTANT, it says that apparently I've downloaded 90MB via wifi in just one day, and I have only used the phone twice or so on whatsapp! I have a limited data plan and I need to find out sharpish what's sucking so much data. Any clue?
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    I've installed the app, and

1) tapping one of those choices (wifi, 3g, bluetooth) does absolutely nothing

2) netstat preferences reset themselves (day when to reset counters and traffic limit settings)

3) AND MOST IMPORTANT, it says that apparently I've downloaded 90MB via wifi in just one day, and I have only used the phone twice or so on whatsapp! I have a limited data plan and I need to find out sharpish what's sucking so much data. Any clue?
    I remember playing with this once before but for some reason it was not installed (probably doctored since then and not re-installed). Mine is showing 141MB immediately after the download but I would hazard a guess that that is down to the app install itself (which may explain your 90MB).

I'm pretty sure the blank screens are because it needs to build up the history over time and doesn't have any yet. Try waiting a month or two for the data to build up.

When did the preferences reset? I just killed the app and restarted and they were still there. A full reboot now...
    ...and they are still set.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    I remember playing with this once before but for some reason it was not installed (probably doctored since then and not re-installed). Mine is showing 141MB immediately after the download but I would hazard a guess that that is down to the app install itself
    It can't possibly be the app as it weights 65KB installed, now my phone says 120MB and I still haven't used it, there must be something sucking data somewhere. Is there another app just to double check?
    It can't possibly be the app as it weights 65KB installed, now my phone says 120MB and I still haven't used it, there must be something sucking data somewhere. Is there another app just to double check?
    So far as I know, netstat is it for tracking data usage.

Some of that might be location services (?) if you have a lot of apps requesting that info that are on push.

JSTop will help you monitor what is running and manage those apps JsTop

Or try installing a terminal and running the "top" command to see a real time report wTerm: The WebOS Terminal Emulator
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Some of that might be location services (?) if you have a lot of apps requesting that info that are on push.
    I' ve disabled GPS and also the automatic backups as I've read elsewhere it's a common cause for unexpected data usage, I'll monitor the outcome in the next hours. For what I understand JSTop is for CPU usage so not sure how that can help.
    I' ve disabled GPS and also the automatic backups as I've read elsewhere it's a common cause for unexpected data usage, I'll monitor the outcome in the next hours. For what I understand JSTop is for CPU usage so not sure how that can help.
    It lets you know what is running that you may have thought was inactive....
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  12.    #12  
    Oh I see. Yep that makes sense. I see Systemui takes up the vast majority of used resources and not sure what I can do about it, I'll document myself on what Systemui is. The rest is just ordinary stuff like Phone Email Messaging Calendar Launcher Contacts Camera Mojowhatsup...

After disabling automated backups I must say traffic has decreased dramatically, no more big chunks of data, still is not quite right yet, there's still some spillage that comes through, hopefully not enough to go above my limited data plan though.