Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By Herrie
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I've started using a Pre2 on Verizon after a year with the Blackberry 9930 and rekindled my love of webOS. I haven't played much with webOS in two years, and I am actually been pretty impressed with the Pre2 on Verizon -- and I pretty much have very nice versions of apps I often use like Pandora, Google Maps, Yelp, Accuweather, drPodder, Fandango, YouTube, Flixster, etc.

I was originally planning on getting the BB Q10 when it came out. Two years ago, I bought the 9930 as a "package" with the Playbook -- which at the time was very close to webOS in terms of cards and gestures -- and the future BB phones were supposed to follow that model. As you may recall the Playbook could be tethered to BB phone without paying Verizon extra for Hotspot. Only problem is I finally had a chance to play with the Q10 and discovered that BB OS 10 is really years behind webOS. Now, I'm looking for something to hold me over for a couple more years until BB OS 10 gets sorted out.

From what I read there are quite a few reasons for upgrading to the Pre3, but many of the threads are pretty old, and I would imagine that some things have changed. I am trying to decide between the Pre2 and Pre3 as well staying with Verizon or moving to AT&T and would like advice.
    =========================
    Verizon Pros:
    - have been happy with service coverage (except no simultaneous voice/date, and FreeTether seems pretty slow lately)
    - I wouldn't have to switch carriers
    - I already have one phone and can get a new backup from Amazon for $60 ( 2 GSM phones would cost me $200)

ATT Pros:
    - Phones are more readily available and cheaper
    - I get simultaneous voice/date
    - I think I get better data speeds with 3G
    - Seems like less risk activating the phone compared to Verizon
    - Moe flexibility with providers with GSM

Questions about Pre3 on ATT:
    - Will I get 3G speeds and would that provide a significant performance advantage over Verizon?
    - don't know how well FreeTether would work -- what are others experience
    Also, I want to make sure I understand the Pros Cons of upgrading from Pre2 to Pre3...

Pre3 Pros:
    - much better display, keyboard and slider mechanism
    - sharper pics with autofocus (otherwise same camera and a little slower than Pre2)
    - better noise cancellation (but I always use BT, so less important)
    - much better GPS
    - faster web browsing, etc
    - better WIFI
    - availability of extended battery (expensive, but would be the ticket for road trips)
    - thinner (except if/when using extended battery
    - would get a world phone on Verizon

Pre3 Cons:
    - batteries hard to find and no charger ( I have about 6 spare batteries for my pre2 and can use old phones as "usb chargers"
    - microUSB charger port is less convenient
    - need to spend more money (right now the only new choice is $320 on Amazon)
    - no need to switch to ATT to get full Pre3 benefits

Questions about Pre3:
    - same or slight less battery life than Pre2 with standard battery?
    - less memory than Pre2 = less stability?
    - is the phone as stable as the Pre2 with things like "too many cards open" warnings
    - Is it harder to remove batteries, since the back is harder to remove?
    - Will I have application support for Pandora, Google Maps, Yelp, Accuweather, drPodder, Fandango, YouTube and Flixster.

I am perplexed. The best option would be to change phones and carriers, but there are lots of unknowns.
    Last edited by miata; 08/24/2013 at 07:08 PM.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    OK. I'll keep it simple this time. I've pretty much decided on a Pre3, since the GPS on my Verizon Pre3 is way off.

1) Has anybody compared the Pre3 on AT&T to Verizon -- standalone and FreeTether data rates, battery life, sound quality, etc.?

I found this on another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Ishimaru View Post
    Let's just put in this perspective. The max you'll get out of Verizon 3G (EVDO Rev. A) is around 1.2-1.4Mbps. Now with AT&T 3G/"faux"G, you'll get a max of about 5Mbps with 3G, and probably close to 10Mbps for "faux" G (depending on the handset/area). Verizon is much slower in terms of raw speed. Now if you're talking about LTE...
    All indications still point to the unlocked AT&T version as a far better performer. Also this article: Get HSPA+ "4G" speeds on your AT&T Pre3

Seems like FreeTether was working well according to old posts. For what it is worth I am in the SF Bay Area,

2) Since the Verizon Pre3 has a gsm SIM card, would I be able to later switch to AT&T?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
    Last edited by miata; 08/25/2013 at 08:52 PM. Reason: added quote
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    I've started using a Pre2 on Verizon after a year with the Blackberry 9930 and rekindled my love of webOS. I haven't played much with webOS in two years, and I am actually been pretty impressed with the Pre2 on Verizon -- and I pretty much have very nice versions of apps I often use like Pandora, Google Maps, Yelp, Accuweather, drPodder, Fandango, YouTube, Flixster, etc.

I was originally planning on getting the BB Q10 when it came out. Two years ago, I bought the 9930 as a "package" with the Playbook -- which at the time was very close to webOS in terms of cards and gestures -- and the future BB phones were supposed to follow that model. As you may recall the Playbook could be tethered to BB phone without paying Verizon extra for Hotspot. Only problem is I finally had a chance to play with the Q10 and discovered that BB OS 10 is really years behind webOS. Now, I'm looking for something to hold me over for a couple more years until BB OS 10 gets sorted out.

From what I read there are quite a few reasons for upgrading to the Pre3, but many of the threads are pretty old, and I would imagine that some things have changed. I am trying to decide between the Pre2 and Pre3 as well staying with Verizon or moving to AT&T and would like advice.
    Verizon Pros:
    - have been happy with service coverage (except no simultaneous voice/date, and FreeTether seems pretty slow lately)
    - I wouldn't have to switch carriers
    - I already have one phone and can get a new backup from Amazon for $60 ( 2 GSM phones would cost me $200)

ATT Pros:
    - Phones are more readily available and cheaper
    - I get simultaneous voice/date
    - I think I get better data speeds with 3G
    - Seems like less risk activating the phone compared to Verizon
    - Moe flexibility with providers with GSM

Questions about Pre3 on ATT:
    - Will I get 3G speeds and would that provide a significant performance advantage over Verizon?
    - don't know how well FreeTether would work -- what are others experience
    Also, I want to make sure I understand the Pros Cons of upgrading from Pre2 to Pre3...

Pre3 Pros:
    - much better display, keyboard and slider mechanism
    - sharper pics with autofocus (otherwise same camera and a little slower than Pre2)
    - better noise cancellation (but I always use BT, so less important)
    - much better GPS
    - faster web browsing, etc
    - better WIFI
    - availability of extended battery (expensive, but would be the ticket for road trips)
    - thinner (except if/when using extended battery
    - would get a world phone on Verizon

Pre3 Cons:
    - batteries hard to find and no charger ( I have about 6 spare batteries for my pre2 and can use old phones as "usb chargers"
    - microUSB charger port is less convenient
    - need to spend more money (right now the only new choice is $320 on Amazon)
    - no need to switch to ATT to get full Pre3 benefits

Questions about Pre3:
    - same or slight less battery life than Pre2 with standard battery?
    - less memory than Pre2 = less stability?
    - is the phone as stable as the Pre2 with things like "too many cards open" warnings
    - Is it harder to remove batteries, since the back is harder to remove?
    - Will I have application support for Pandora, Google Maps, Yelp, Accuweather, drPodder, Fandango, YouTube and Flixster.

I am perplexed. The best option would be to change phones and carriers, but there are lots of unknowns.
    Based on my experience, moving from Pre2 to 3 is very worthwile for the keyboard alone. Not only is *much* easier to use, but is also less prone to fail. All the rest is a bonus. It is at least as stable. Battery life is no better (mine doesn't reach 24h, even with data disabled). Wifi could be better. Google maps works wonderfully. I cannot comment on the other applications because I don't use them (guess they are fine), neither on the carriers because I am in Europe.
    The GSM part in the Verizon Pre 3 sucks here in Europe, not sure how it is for the US frequencies. Signal is just very poor. On the proper GSM ones it's a lot better here!

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by Herrie; 08/26/2013 at 03:56 AM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Rnp likes this.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sestini View Post
    Based on my experience, moving from Pre2 to 3 is very worthwile for the keyboard alone. Not only is *much* easier to use, but is also less prone to fail. All the rest is a bonus. It is at least as stable. Battery life is no better (mine doesn't reach 24h, even with data disabled). Wifi could be better. Google maps works wonderfully. I cannot comment on the other applications because I don't use them (guess they are fine), neither on the carriers because I am in Europe.
    The battery is one worry. Sounds like it will be similar to the Pre2. I wonder if you can use Govnah to improve battery life without introducing lag?
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    My Verizon Pre3 has had decent battery life (all day, moderate use) - using the Govnah - UberKernel Default. My experience using the World Phone (GSM) feature is similar to Herrie's - almost impossible to get a signal inside a building, better, but not guaranteed outside (in UK). I would not consider it for critical (buisness) uses, but it was OK for vacation (non-time critical). From what I've read here, the GSM feature does not work in the US - (where there is a CDMA signal).

I was able to switch from my Pre+ to the Pre3 without any change to my contract (i.e., I still have the unlimited data option). The mobile hot spot went away, but Free Tether works fine.
    Palm III, Palm T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Pre+, hp Pre 3, Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    The GSM part in the Verizon Pre 3 sucks here in Europe, not sure how it is for the US frequencies. Signal is just very poor. On the proper GSM ones it's a lot better here!

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    I agree! I want to sell my Verizon Pre 3 because the signal in GSM network is very bad... but the real problem is that after lost the signal, goes to CDMA and don't go back go GSM...

The irony was that I bought thinking that the antenna could be better...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    I agree! I want to sell my Verizon Pre 3 because the signal in GSM network is very bad... but the real problem is that after lost the signal, goes to CDMA and don't go back go GSM...

The irony was that I bought thinking that the antenna could be better...

Best Regards...
    Sounds like another good reason to go with the AT&T version. Do those phones work well for Americans visiting Europe?
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    How does it work on the Pre3? Will I be able to web surf using ATT 4G data while talking?
    Sounds like another good reason to go with the AT&T version. Do those phones work well for Americans visiting Europe?
    GSM = Quad Band (850/900/1800/1900MHz), so it will work on pretty much any GSM network around the world!

UMTS on AT&T model = 850, 1900, 2100 MHz. The European version has 900, 1900, 2100 MHz. So in case UMTS in the European country is on 1900 or 2100MHz you're fine, when it's on 900 MHz you're out of luck.

You MIGHT be able to flash the EU modem firmware onto an AT&T Pre 3 (haven't tried this yet to be honest) which might give you 900 MHz). It might be able to create a custom modem firmware supports all 4 UMTS bands being 850, 900, 1900 and 2100 MHz.
    Remy X likes this.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Does anybody have the answer to this question? It looks like the company will get billed $80 if I transfer to ATT, since my contract is not up. I need justification for not waiting until January when my Verizon contract expires.
    How does it work on the Pre3? Will I be able to web surf using ATT 4G data while talking?
    I do this all the time on all of my gsm devices. Its noticeably slower, but works fine and always has since the invention of '3g'...
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    I do this all the time on all of my gsm devices. Its noticeably slower, but works fine and always has since the invention of '3g'...
    Thank you, thank you creepingmee. I actually bought a new ATT unlocked unit from eBay yesterday, and was still a little anxious about this critical feature. I often need to send a "running late" email while I'm on the phone -- don't need blazing speed.

For some odd reason many of the Verizon people in my office have been getting regular dropped calls, straight to voicemail, etc. I finally got fed-up yesterday.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I ended up getting the Pre3 on ATT. This phone is fricking amazing. There is no comparison to the Pre2. The shape and texture on the body, the display, keyboard, slider, even removing the battery cover is really nice.

The performance improvements are even much better than I expected. I forgot how good webOS is for multitasking. I'm also very happy with the quality of apps still available. My favorites are Forums, Homebrew Google Maps, Yelp, Pandora, Flixster, drPodder and AccuWeather.

I also got a nice speed upgrade with HSPA+ on ATT and being able to use data while talking opens up all kinds of possibilities with FreeTether which also seems to work well so far.

If things start to fall apart my backup plan is to get a BB Q10, but that may be way in the future now.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    If things start to fall apart my backup plan is to get a BB Q10, but that may be way in the future now.
    I got my Pre 3 in December and loving it. This is my backup plan too. I upgraded from the Pre2 which was an upgrade from the Pre.
    I'm also very happy with the quality of apps still available. My favorites are Forums, Homebrew Google Maps, Yelp, Pandora, Flixster, drPodder and AccuWeather.
    Try GutenPodder--it's a drPodder fork that fixes some feed problems.

I also recommend both AccuWeather and Weather Channel--the latter for the moving & zoomable radar map.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    Try GutenPodder--it's a drPodder fork that fixes some feed problems.
    I had drPodder working well on the Pre2, but can't seem to get the feeds working. I just tried GuttenPodder and get the same thing. I'm trying to search for feeds and don't get any hits. I know that this was working before.
    I had drPodder working well on the Pre2, but can't seem to get the feeds working. I just tried GuttenPodder and get the same thing. I'm trying to search for feeds and don't get any hits. I know that this was working before.
    Hmm...it's not been a problem for me with GuttenPodder on my Preł (2.2.4). I did have the feeds search problem with PodFrenzy (an earlier drPodder fork)--as I recall, the GuttenPodder dev said that this was a known problem with drPodder and PodFrenzy, which is why he forked GuttenPodder.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    What!? The VZW Pre 3 doesn't support the LTE?
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislorensson View Post
    What!? The VZW Pre 3 doesn't support the LTE?
    Hmmm...I don't think that any Preł had LTE--but certainly not the Verizon model.