Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ToniCipriani
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    I'm running into an issue where the Pre3 will not respond to wake up events like pressing the power button of opening the slider.

I've narrowed it down to an issue involving a weak 3G signal and rapid switching between 2G, 3G, and no signal while the screen is off. (So rapid switching between 2G and 3G or rapid switching between no signal and 2G while the phone is in my pocket idle.) The phone stops accepting text messages and other notifications and the battery seems to drain normally. If there is a notification waiting for me, the light will continue to blink. I need to do a soft reset to recover (volume up, pwr, and flick the mute switch a few times.)

To avoid the issue I use a patch to lock myself into Edge/2G which is pretty strong no matter where I go. I use wifi at home and 90% of the time the 2G speed is fast enough for my needs.

I'm on an AT&T Pre3 using T-Mobile. 3G T-Mobile is available in my area just about anywhere but is weak in buildings. If I leave 3G on and walk down a hallway this issue is almost always likely to show itself.

Is there a patch that I've missed that takes care of this issue or am I doomed to always keep the 2G workaround up?

I've seen this issue talked about in several forums but they're all old and I don't want to be a thread necromancer.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Get Nodoze from Preware, which will keep your phone from going into full standby mode
    I'm not sure that I understand how this will fix the problem -- other than drain the battery. From my experience, this is some sort of bug in the radio modem firmware (which, the entire device relies on, since it is part of the core processor).

I've been spending months trying to hunt done a fix, or something to improve it. I don't think it is going to happen... Not without someone to poke at the actual radio modem firmware...
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I'm not sure that I understand how this will fix the problem -- other than drain the battery. From my experience, this is some sort of bug in the radio modem firmware (which, the entire device relies on, since it is part of the core processor).

I've been spending months trying to hunt done a fix, or something to improve it. I don't think it is going to happen... Not without someone to poke at the actual radio modem firmware...
    From my understanding, the system only locks up while in standby... So if it idles without going into standby, chances are it will recover without needing a ringer switch reset.

But i agree that my idea is not the cleanest, most elegant fix ...far from it... But it might be something that works "out of the box", and makes the difference between a usable device and not

However, I don't own a Pre3, you do, so you'd know better.

But...

Here's how a dedicated patch could work... Detect the system going idle (I'm not familiar with that event) and set signal to 2G... On wake-up set it back to accepting all signal... That could fix it, since EDGE speeds shouldn't be too much of a problem while requesting e-mails and he's doing that in the first place.

Tomorrow morning I'll try to figure out what the Idle and wake-on events are, and the rest is a piece of cake
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    From my understanding, the system only locks up while in standby... So if it idles without going into standby, chances are it will recover without needing a ringer switch reset.

But i agree that my idea is not the cleanest, most elegant fix ...far from it... But it might be something that works "out of the box", and makes the difference between a usable device and not

However, I don't own a Pre3, you do, so you'd know better.

But...

Here's how a dedicated patch could work... Detect the system going idle (I'm not familiar with that event) and set signal to 2G... On wake-up set it back to accepting all signal... That could fix it, since EDGE speeds shouldn't be too much of a problem while requesting e-mails and he's doing that in the first place.

Tomorrow morning I'll try to figure out what the Idle and wake-on events are, and the rest is a piece of cake
    Wow, I like that patch idea! Even if it doesn't fix this issue it would save some battery for a normal user who doesn't need 3G while it's idle in pocket.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Thanks to some keywords from your replys I did find this thread:

How To Downgrade Modem Firmware (2.2.4 to 2.2.0)?

When I have time I'll give this a go but I'm still interested in that patch Remy.
    I do wonder about older firmware.... I am tempted...
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Let us know if the modem firmware downgrade brings any changes (battery life, signal strength, stability, etc).. this could be a worthy experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post

I'm actually thinking it's more to do with the memory usage of the modem. I get these too, but after the phone has been running for some time.

That Qualcomm modem usage, pair that with a leaky WebAppMgr, it's just not pretty.

The other case where I get freezes like this is when the battery is low, like around 20-25%. Phone will NOT shut screen off, power button does not turn it off, but you can go into the Airplane/Reboot/ShutDown screen and can't get out. Physical keyboard works, touchscreen will not respond. If I do a battery pull, it'll go into the red battery and refuse to start.
    Remy X likes this.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I'm actually thinking it's more to do with the memory usage of the modem. I get these too, but after the phone has been running for some time.

That Qualcomm modem usage, pair that with a leaky WebAppMgr, it's just not pretty.

The other case where I get freezes like this is when the battery is low, like around 20-25%. Phone will NOT shut screen off, power button does not turn it off, but you can go into the Airplane/Reboot/ShutDown screen and can't get out. Physical keyboard works, touchscreen will not respond. If I do a battery pull, it'll go into the red battery and refuse to start.
    I've been lucky enough not to see that error.