1. H
    Hi all,

I have the common issue of my Pre3 switching to headset mode even when there is no headset plugged in. I'm successfully using "The Ghastly Headset" to fix this when I want to make a call.

The problem is that the phone still keeps switching back to headset mode which then means if the headset isn't around, I can't answer a call.

Is there a patch I can use to force the phone to think that there are no headphones all the time? Ideally with some override so I can still listen to music.

Thanks
    By "switching to headset mode" do you mean:
    a) In the middle of a call, after starting the call normally, it switches to headset mode and can't be switched back.
    OR
    b) When a call begins, it's already in headset mode and can't be switched back.

In either case, may we assume that you have used a headset since the last time you successfully made a call?

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
  3. H
    Yep b). It will have switched to headset mode randomly at some point.

No, a headset wasn't used since the last successful call. This is the problem.

If I finish using a headset to listen to music I can manually switch the mode back using "The Ghastly headset" app. However if it switches by itself, I don't realise until a call comes in and I can't hear anyone on the phone
    does it ever switch in the middle of a call?
    Try an app called audio switch in preware
    Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Yep b). It will have switched to headset mode randomly at some point.

No, a headset wasn't used since the last successful call. This is the problem.

If I finish using a headset to listen to music I can manually switch the mode back using "The Ghastly headset" app. However if it switches by itself, I don't realise until a call comes in and I can't hear anyone on the phone
    Your reply still leaves me unsure of your pattern of headset usage, so I'll just share my experience--perhaps it will be helpful to you.

I have occasionally had this problem, both on my Pre+ and my Preł. In all cases, it's been after I've had something plugged into the headphone jack (it doesn't matter what). I'm guessing that one of two things is at the root of the problem: Either Palm's/HP's hardware mechanism for detecting the presence of an inserted plug is faulty or else webOS's routine for handling the "unplugged" signal is buggy. I really can't tell you which is the case, though I suppose a full reset would make that clear (i.e., if the problem persists through a reset, it's probably the hardware). I've not bothered with this, as I'm not interested in taking the time to find out when a quick fix exists.

What's been successful for me is to re-insert a device plug repeatedly until the fault clears. On my Pre+, this would sometimes require 3+ attempts; on the Preł, it almost always clears on the first try. To ensure that I don't get caught by surprise by this fault when making a call (and not having a jacked device anywhere around, of course), I've formed the habit of doing this after every time I unplug a device: I open any app, then immediately close it. If I hear the swoosh sound, I know that the sound system isn't stuck in headphone mode.

Yes, it's an annoyance, but a pretty minor one--it only takes me 2 seconds to test after unplugging, and if the phone's stuck in headphone mode, only 3-4 seconds to clear the fault and retest. For everything else that webOS gives me, I can live with that.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix