Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    My Pre3 was dropped and the screen is shattered like a car windshield does. The unit is still completely functional but needless to say the screen is a bit hard to read. Does anyone have any experience with this ebay vendor selling Pre3 screens?

thanks.

New LCD Display Touch Screen Digitizer Frame for HP Palm Pre 3 Black | eBay
    I don't know about that particular vendor, but be careful on eBay in general... someone looking for a Pre3 screen almost bought a mis-labeled Veer screen, and after talking to the seller realized that the seller was scamming people on purpose. Chances are this one is honest, but like they say "there are monsters out there"
    Pay with PayPal using Credit Card and you can claim your money back from either PayPal or your CC company when it's no good :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by Herrie; 08/08/2013 at 01:29 AM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    This is big news and I ordered one, there are many places that will replace glass, android or iphone, I will take to one of those and see what can be done, it usually takes a while to deliver these things from china, but as said use paypal your ok, it does make sense that there would be a lot of screens floating around seeing as the product was ready and did make it to stores in Europe. Now if we can just find spare back covers and I am good for years. I note the feedback was good, and there are others who have purchased, guess not everyone is on this forum, shame,
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    So far so good, quick delivery, screen is pre 3 screen will have it installed and I will advise
    I saw the same ebay posting but boy, he has a lot of bad feedback on his screens. Let me know how your screen works. Good luck.
    I stopped into a new cell phone store at the mall tonight and they can replace pre3 screens for about $100 bucks less tax. He said they were HP OEM parts. Any one want to try them, I would but just bought a replacement phone. I would be glad to help any pre3 fan.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Do you have contact info for that store at the mall? I'm looking for a replacement screen.

Modelnet, do you have an update on how the screen is working? I read some of those reviews, and it looks like some of that dude's screens have been faulty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shemlon View Post
    Do you have contact info for that store at the mall? I'm looking for a replacement screen.

Modelnet, do you have an update on how the screen is working? I read some of those reviews, and it looks like some of that dude's screens have been faulty.
    Shemlon , I will be going to the store within the next week to order a screen, and will post the info here when I get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KURT B View Post
    I stopped into a new cell phone store at the mall tonight and they can replace pre3 screens for about $100 bucks less tax. He said they were HP OEM parts. Any one want to try them, I would but just bought a replacement phone. I would be glad to help any pre3 fan.
    Hello,

I am interested by your phone, particulary the SIM card module and its circuit board unerneath. I have a Pre3 that went suddenly QHUSB_DLOAD and I found out the issue is located inside this module.

Do you still have your pre3 for spare parts?

I worked for a while in mobile industry and tactile panel is strongly bounded to the front glass. TFT LCD behind is very thin and sticked to panel film. It is nearly impossible to separate them unless with hugely costly tool. Usier to find a complete LCD module OEM or original and to swap. Be careflu to LVDS cable.

Regards
    status? I bought 2 replacement screens. I have 4 broken pre 3's and i'm pretty tired dishing out $$ to replace the entire phone. I can't get the unit disassembled yet. I have the screws out but can't get the rear cover off..
    well pretty much destroyed the first pre3 during disassemble, but think I have it figured out now. I plugged in the screens and they both appear to work except for the touch screen aspect. That may be a result of my disassembly--don't think I would get 2 that "almost" work perfectly in the exact same way.
    Quote Originally Posted by homer14z View Post
    well pretty much destroyed the first pre3 during disassemble, but think I have it figured out now. I plugged in the screens and they both appear to work except for the touch screen aspect. That may be a result of my disassembly--don't think I would get 2 that "almost" work perfectly in the exact same way.
    It could be that you need to update the Touchpanel firmware, because the screens might have been used with a different version of webOS?

You would need to run the following for that on command line (novaterm or WOSQI)

Code:
    stop hidd
    cd /usr/bin
    PmTpUpdater
    start hidd
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    It could be that you need to update the Touchpanel firmware, because the screens might have been used with a different version of webOS?

You would need to run the following for that on command line (novaterm or WOSQI)

Code:
    stop hidd
    cd /usr/bin
    PmTpUpdater
    start hidd
    I was able to dis-assemble and re-assemble my next pre3 without destroying it. I have the same issue with the touch screen function. I have no clue what you are talking about as far as updating the firmware, but i'm sure I can figure it out by doing a little research here. If I can get this to work, a $40 fix and I can keep my remaining units functional.. mite be willing to do for others or guide others in doing it for themselves.
    I was able to dis-assemble and re-assemble my next pre3 without destroying it. I have the same issue with the touch screen function. I have no clue what you are talking about as far as updating the firmware, but i'm sure I can figure it out by doing a little research here. If I can get this to work, a $40 fix and I can keep my remaining units functional.. mite be willing to do for others or guide others in doing it for themselves.
    Just follow my instructions and see if that works :-) Which part you don't understand so I can elaborate more?

ok, so I read about novaterm and downloaded a bunch of stuff.. then figured out I already had the QI..
    I went to command line and tried your suggestions and I get "/bin/sh: stophidd: not found" for anything I type in the QI command line function. I'm guessing I'm a step short somewhere?
    ok.. partial success. Maybe I had a bad usb connection the first few times I tried??
    here's what I got:
    "<00899/374...> hidd <stop> running, process 1179
    ...a few lines of this action..
    then,
    root@homerHPPre3:/#
    root@homerHPPre3: /# cd/usr/bin
    cd/usr/bin
    /bin/sh: cd/usr/bin: not found
    root@homerHPPRe3:#
    root@homerHPPre3:/# PmTPUpdater
    PmTpUpdater
    id: 0584, family/die: 70, major rev: 12
    installed version: 17
    programmed version: 7.2.0
    firmware need update
    retrieving rom data...
    error -852168 during transfer <w 2>
    unable to retrieve global idac table
    error -852168 during transfer <w 2>
    unable to retrieve local idac table
    panel id: a29bdc46-66d1-4f06-be3e-0a4357cc32cc
    scratch: <empty>
    programming '/lib/firmware/cy8ctma300e'..."

and it's stuck there..
    ok..i went to the store..came back and hit enter.. it said "calibrating panel" and then a bunch of jibberish and then "restoring panel id..." and then I did the start hidd command and viola..
    screen works..
    now I will finish putting it all the way back together and do another..
    thanks
    Garfonso likes this.
    Awesome!
    ok..i went to the store..came back and hit enter.. it said "calibrating panel" and then a bunch of jibberish and then "restoring panel id..." and then I did the start hidd command and viola..
    screen works..
    now I will finish putting it all the way back together and do another..
    thanks
    Great to see my instructions helped! Just make sure to use right spacing, Linux is sensitive for this :-)

So "cd /usr/bin"

You can also run "PmTpUpdater -f" which forces and update in case it doesn't want to do it by itself ;-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast