Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    figures.. got it all back together, no spare parts.. now the sound doesn't work..lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Great to see my instructions helped! Just make sure to use right spacing, Linux is sensitive for this :-)

So "cd /usr/bin"

You can also run "PmTpUpdater -f" which forces and update in case it doesn't want to do it by itself ;-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    ah yes..I see I did use the wrong directory--thus the error. I guess the PmT.. forced the update. Do I need to redo with the correct directory to be safe?
    thanks again
    Not necessary when it works! With every firmware update there's a risk of failure, so don't do it when everything is working!

HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Not necessary when it works! With every firmware update there's a risk of failure, so don't do it when everything is working!

everything... but the sound!
    I wonder if I messed up software or hardware??? I am updating the phone and will run the pulse audio restarted from homebrew once the phone has updated. thanks again for all your help. hope someone else is learning from this. As I said, I may post detailed directions when I do the next phone.
    No sound at all or just front speaker jot working? Front speaker is connected with the same flat cable as the display I think on the Pre 3.

HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    speaker not working. Have sound thru the headphone jack. I made sure the 2 cables were not damaged and were connected properly, but something is obviously not right. The pulse restarter didn't work.
    These connectors are very small, you might want to try and disconnect and reconnect it again.

still no luck with the speaker. i'm pretty sure it was working after I broke the screen. I may take the speaker from the destroyed phone and try that. When I change the screen on the phone I am currently using I will know for sure if it's something I did.
    so I'm thinking the sound must be a software/firmware thing? I replaced the screen on my daily driver.. get the same issue with the speaker not working. this time, I also get problems with the silence slider and volume controls on the side not working. when I put one of the cracked screens back on the silence switch and volume sliders work. not sure about the speaker..need to do more tinkering.
    I did screw up an etched ribbon cable so I am using a spare main pcb (keyboard and main board).
    may have found the answer to the speaker problem here..
    Pre 3 Speaker No Sound
    will work on it and report back..
    Quote Originally Posted by homer14z View Post
    may have found the answer to the speaker problem here..
    Pre 3 Speaker No Sound
    will work on it and report back..
    so there is a connection problem here. These connectors are easily broken. Solder fixed one phone. The other is still not working yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by modelnet View Post
    This is big news and I ordered one, there are many places that will replace glass, android or iphone, I will take to one of those and see what can be done, it usually takes a while to deliver these things from china, but as said use paypal your ok, it does make sense that there would be a lot of screens floating around seeing as the product was ready and did make it to stores in Europe. Now if we can just find spare back covers and I am good for years. I note the feedback was good, and there are others who have purchased, guess not everyone is on this forum, shame,
    My digitizer stopped working when the Pre 3 was dropped. I'm curious if the referenced ebay replacement product noted on this thread worked as advertised, and/or were there any issues? Thinking about ordering the part to fix my digitizer problem. Any feedback from those that have ordered, would be appreciated. Thanks.
    I bought one and it looks like the right screen. I have yet to put it in, but I will post the results when I do. I think I only paid $30 for it, so not out too much if it crashes.
    Quote Originally Posted by KURT B View Post
    I bought one and it looks like the right screen. I have yet to put it in, but I will post the results when I do. I think I only paid $30 for it, so not out too much if it crashes.
    Great -- look forward to what you learn and appreciate sharing it with me/the forum. Thanks!
    works as advertised. you will have to initialize them. there are instructions in the threads on this forum. I have replaced 3 or 4.
    Anyone have an extra screen bezel for pre3 that they are willing to part with?
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    This is a very helpful thread. I just replaced the screen on my spare Pre3 that is not activated. I wanted to try it on that phone as a dry run before I did it on my activated Pre3, which also has a cracked screen. My problem is that I can't get past the first activation page "Sign in to my WebOS account" because the touch screen isn't working. How can I bypass activation and get to developer mode so I can initialize the screen? Thanks.
    Last edited by Dobrodan; 05/08/2014 at 01:58 PM.
    Hello friends, I have two Pre 3 unlocked EU version. Both had touchscreen cracked and changed (bought from eBay). Here problems begin :-)
    1) First one worked great with cracked screen till it began to slow down and bug. After toucn screen changed, it is in eternal booting loop: black screen & hp logo. From time to time a screen with clouds, semitransparent HP logo and date on the upper besel of screen appears but two seconds later, booting screen returns and the history repeats :-(.

2) Second one worked great with cracked screen til it began to slow down and bug. After the screen was changed, the phone is booting longer than usually (much longer). Once booted, it is very-very slow, keybord is working, but the touch screen isn't. Do I have to initialize it somehow?

On the second one, I try to use the Herrie's method. But it doesn't work for a moment.
    Finally, the screen of the second Pre 3 is working after:

stop hidd
    cd /usr/bin
    PmTpUpdater -f
    start hidd

Thank's to everybody.
    Rnp likes this.
    In need of some help here. I just placed my screen and now I have two problems. 1- it seems to be extremely slow/ laggy. more importantly I cant get the touch screen to initialize. I run the "stop hidd" command" then " cd /usr/bin" then "PmTpUpdater -f" after a minute or two it come back with

id: 0584, family/die: 70, major rev: 12
    retrieving rom data...
    error -779208 during transfer (w 2)
    unable to retrieve global idac table
    error -721096 during transfer (w 1)
    unable to retrieve local idac table
    unable to retrieve panel id
    unable to retrieve scratch data
    programming '/lib/firmware/cy8ctma300e'...
    error during programming. dmesg:
    [131220.065368] cy8ctma300 cy8ctma300: firmware: requesting cy8
    [131220.239990] cy8ctma300 cy8ctma300: programming id 0584
    [131224.973297] cy8ctma300 cy8ctma300: timed out waiting for lo
    [131224.973297] cy8ctma300 cy8ctma300: error -62 during program
    [131307.047454] cy8ctma300 cy8ctma300: firmware: requesting cy8
    [131307.242584] cy8ctma300 cy8ctma300: programming id 0584
    [131322.441101] cy8ctma300 cy8ctma300: timed out waiting for lo
    [131322.441223] cy8ctma300 cy8ctma300: error -62 during program

Thats its. it just seems to fail and the touch screen wont work.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast