• 1 Post By qbenguy
  • 1 Post By Xeron
  • 3 Post By Remy X
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By VasTheGreek
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Hey All,

I'm moving on from my original Pre to a Pre 3. I was reluctant because my Pre had been working fine, I couldn't validate the purchase. But now that it's been resetting on its own, and at times the keyboard doesn't respond. A great deal on eBay pushed me over the edge. So I can now say that I'm a proud owner of a Pre 3! (delivery expected next week) I'm extremely excited. But there are a few things that I could use your advice and/or suggestions:

1. What's the best approach to saving and transferring my data?
    2. I'm with Sprint, so I'll have to find a new provider. The phone is AT&T branded but I'm thinking that I can choose a different provider. T-mobile is one that I'm considering. Any recommendations?
    3. Do I need to consider a charger that will work specifically for the Pre3? What about Touchstone?

Please feel free to share your experiences. Any and all comments will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    qbenguy

PS - I also own a Touchpad running webOS 3.0.05 with LunaCE 4.9.5
    Last edited by qbenguy; 07/24/2013 at 04:59 PM.
    Remy X likes this.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Congrats! I went from a Pre- to a Pre 3 and trust me, you will LOVE it!
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    xandros9 likes this.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeron View Post
    Congrats! I went from a Pre- to a Pre 3 and trust me, you will LOVE it!
    Thanks! I think you're right. How was your transition?
    Quote Originally Posted by qbenguy View Post
    [...]
    1. What's the best approach to saving and transferring my data?
    2. I'm with Sprint, so I'll have to find a new provider. The phone is AT&T branded but I'm thinking that I can choose a different provider. T-mobile is one that I'm considering. Any recommendations?
    3. Do I need to consider a charger that will work specifically for the Pre3? What about Touchstone?
    My advice is, that first thing you do when you take it out of the box is charge it. The Touchstone should work fine, but since the back is more curved than that of the original 3 generations, there are several "fixes" for those who have a problem with the Touchstone... such as placing a sheet of paper between the phone and the Touchstone, or removing the "ring" around the Touchstone, or adding two strips of flexible magnets on the sides of the touchstone's face, etc. But since the phone is brand new and you aren't driving with it right this minute, it should charge without a problem

Once charged, Doctor it up to the latest version, 2.2.4 (see: WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals). Once you doctor and get through "first use", set the date back to July 1st and open the App Catalog. Search for, download and install the "app catalog update", which will update your expired SSL certificates and allow the cloud backup to work well into the future. Set the date back to today.

. . .

You should be fine with T-Mobile, but depending on where you live, they've either reconfigured their towers to support 3G on the AT&T frequency, or not. If not, you'll only get EDGE (2G).

In terms of transferring your old data, it depends on what you are willing to lose. Browser history and call logs are stored in a different format on 2.x. A handful of apps didn't make the transition to 2.x either, but things like Memos, Contacts, Calendar, e-mail accounts and a few other things will get downloaded to the Pre3 when you log in to your Palm Profile. But don't do it just yet, as the old phone will wipe itself.

You'll still need to go on Preware and download a few things before putting the Pre- into airplane mode to prevent erasure (Cellular off, wifi off!):

You can use DrewPre's "Pre Backup Utility" to make a backup of old call logs, SMS messages, browser history and bookmarks. It's a great app, which hasn't made it over to 2.x, but will allow you to keep an archive of the old databases, backed up to your computer. IIRC, most of the webOS 1.4 databases are "SQLite" databases that can be viewed using https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...qlite-manager/ if you'll ever need to.

You'll also need "Internalz" to copy some installed apps and their metadata over to the USB partition, to then back them up on your computer ...you can do both things in airplane mode while the Pre3 is already up and running, as long as you install them first before going "airplane" and logging in on the Pre3

If you have any app that you've bought that's since been pulled from the catalog, i can explain how to package them into a brand new IPK after gathering up their pieces from different parts of the filesystem.

On the Pre3 side, any apps you've bought that have been updated to 2.x will be downloaded and installed automatically, just as the cloud backup restores itself.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    My advice is, that first thing you do when you take it out of the box is charge it. The Touchstone should work fine, but since the back is more curved than that of the original 3 generations, there are several "fixes" for those who have a problem with the Touchstone... such as placing a sheet of paper between the phone and the Touchstone, or removing the "ring" around the Touchstone, or adding two strips of flexible magnets on the sides of the touchstone's face, etc. But since the phone is brand new and you aren't driving with it right this minute, it should charge without a problem

Once charged, Doctor it up to the latest version, 2.2.4 (see: WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals). Once you doctor and get through "first use", set the date back to July 1st and open the App Catalog. Search for, download and install the "app catalog update", which will update your expired SSL certificates and allow the cloud backup to work well into the future. Set the date back to today.

. . .

You should be fine with T-Mobile, but depending on where you live, they've either reconfigured their towers to support 3G on the AT&T frequency, or not. If not, you'll only get EDGE (2G).

In terms of transferring your old data, it depends on what you are willing to lose. Browser history and call logs are stored in a different format on 2.x. A handful of apps didn't make the transition to 2.x either, but things like Memos, Contacts, Calendar, e-mail accounts and a few other things will get downloaded to the Pre3 when you log in to your Palm Profile. But don't do it just yet, as the old phone will wipe itself.

You'll still need to go on Preware and download a few things before putting the Pre- into airplane mode to prevent erasure (Cellular off, wifi off!):

You can use DrewPre's "Pre Backup Utility" to make a backup of old call logs, SMS messages, browser history and bookmarks. It's a great app, which hasn't made it over to 2.x, but will allow you to keep an archive of the old databases, backed up to your computer. IIRC, most of the webOS 1.4 databases are "SQLite" databases that can be viewed using https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...qlite-manager/ if you'll ever need to.

You'll also need "Internalz" to copy some installed apps and their metadata over to the USB partition, to then back them up on your computer ...you can do both things in airplane mode while the Pre3 is already up and running, as long as you install them first before going "airplane" and logging in on the Pre3

If you have any app that you've bought that's since been pulled from the catalog, i can explain how to package them into a brand new IPK after gathering up their pieces from different parts of the filesystem.

On the Pre3 side, any apps you've bought that have been updated to 2.x will be downloaded and installed automatically, just as the cloud backup restores itself.
    I can't thank you enough for all of your advice, suggestions and step by step instructions. I figured that there were some things that I would have to do to make the transition smooth.

While I wait for my Pre 3 to arrive, I think I'm going to save all or as much data as I can to my desktop. DrewPre's "Pre Backup Utility" is on the preware side of the Pre 3 - yes?

I'm not locked in to T-mobile as my new carrier. I'm still researching to see which provider offers the best service an plans. If you have any experience with a carrier that works well with the Pre 3, let me know.

Thanks again for ALL of your help. I'll let you know how everything goes. And if you don't mind, I may have some questions.
    I can't thank you enough for all of your advice, suggestions and step by step instructions. I figured that there were some things that I would have to do to make the transition smooth.

While I wait for my Pre 3 to arrive, I think I'm going to save all or as much data as I can to my desktop. DrewPre's "Pre Backup Utility" is on the preware side of the Pre 3 - yes?

I'm not locked in to T-mobile as my new carrier. I'm still researching to see which provider offers the best service an plans. If you have any experience with a carrier that works well with the Pre 3, let me know.

Thanks again for ALL of your help. I'll let you know how everything goes. And if you don't mind, I may have some questions.
    No problem

The Pre Backup Utility is one of the first homebrew apps released in '09 for the original Pre and i use it for my Pre+. It was never updated to support the Pre2, Pre3 or Veer because they run webOS 2.x and the data storage format there is vastly different.

So yes, you can download it from Preware and run a backup on your Pre-. You won't be able to restore that backup to the Pre3, but you'll be able to extract the .tar.gz file use use the SQLite viewer to look at the browser and call log data rather than lose it forever.

In terms of carrier choice, there's only AT&T or T-Mobile, the rest [of the GSM carriers] are resellers who sub-lease from these two.
    In my experience, AT&T are masters of sneaky overbilling, in every division, i'm still fighting with them over my final DSL bill, which they refuse to mail with corrections, like they want it to almost fall into collection to force me to pay more than double of what it should actually be. Bureaucracy from hell... they are only marginally better than PayPal, but then as long as you don't leave them, they always try to be polite...
    Last edited by Remy X; 07/25/2013 at 12:10 AM.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    No problem

The Pre Backup Utility is one of the first homebrew apps released in '09 for the original Pre and i use it for my Pre+. It was never updated to support the Pre2, Pre3 or Veer because they run webOS 2.x and the data storage format there is vastly different.

So yes, you can download it from Preware and run a backup on your Pre-. You won't be able to restore that backup to the Pre3, but you'll be able to extract the .tar.gz file use use the SQLite viewer to look at the browser and call log data rather than lose it forever.

In terms of carrier choice, there's only AT&T or T-Mobile, the rest [of the GSM carriers] are resellers who sub-lease from these two.
    In my experience, AT&T are masters of sneaky overbilling, in every division, i'm still fighting with them over my final DSL bill, which they refuse to mail with corrections, like they want it to almost fall into collection to force me to pay more than double of what it should actually be. Bureaucracy from hell... they are only marginally better than PayPal, but then as long as you don't leave them, they always try to be polite...
    Thanks!

Any chance that Pre Backup Utility has changed its name? I can't seem to find it in Preware version1.9.10. Could it be it's not in the version that I have installed? I'll keep looking.

After reading your hilarious scenario, it sounds like I should stay away from AT&T. Although I've read and heard that they offer excellent service, I've also heard that they're plans are expensive. I'm gonna visit a local T-Mobile storefront to get more information, and to find out which SIM I'm going to need.
    I regularly back up and use sync toy on windows to do a 'synced' or selective back up.

I basically follow this procedure:

The Definitive Guide to Backing up and Restoring your webOS Device | webOS Nation

Please note I've only ever been on 2.2.4, so ensure you use the sections relevant to the version you are backing up or migrating to at the right point as well as the help posted above.
    qbenguy likes this.
    Guys... Do NOT share copywrited files. If it isn't free for sharing directly from the developer, you cannot post it here.

Thanks

Sent from my HTC One
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Guys... Do NOT share copywrited files. If it isn't free for sharing directly from the developer, you cannot post it here.

Thanks
    Alright then.

Your house, your rules...

Thanks!

Any chance that Pre Backup Utility has changed its name? I can't seem to find it in Preware version1.9.10. Could it be it's not in the version that I have installed? I'll keep looking.

[...]
    I've just checked a few hours ago, and it seems like the developer has ended official support for this app and pulled it from Preware. Not surprising really, dozens of other devs have done the same thing.

I still have my copy of the ipk, v1.6.7, which is the latest...
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Alright then.

Your house, your rules...

I've just checked a few hours ago, and it seems like the developer has ended official support for this app and pulled it from Preware. Not surprising really, dozens of other devs have done the same thing.

I still have my copy of the ipk, v1.6.7, which is the latest...
    Thanks for the update. I appreciate it. No wonder I couldn't find it.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I regularly back up and use sync toy on windows to do a 'synced' or selective back up.

I basically follow this procedure:

The Definitive Guide to Backing up and Restoring your webOS Device | webOS Nation

Please note I've only ever been on 2.2.4, so ensure you use the sections relevant to the version you are backing up or migrating to at the right point as well as the help posted above.
    Thank you very much for our comments and for sharing this. I truly appreciate it.
    Before you start installing, copying etc....look in the forums for the fix to increase the partition for the DB files. I moved from the Pre- to the Pre3 as well but after a few months (mainly cause of the numbers of emails I was having) my DB file got too large and my Pre3 crashed and I had to reinstall everything from scratch.

I would recommend that once you get your new device to resize the partitions. It may take you an extra hour to setup but in the long run you will are probably better off. Ok you got to feel comfortable to run the linux commands and understand that you will lose a bit of storage space, but I think it is a move well worth it...

Regarding the move you will love it as others said above. The speed difference is huge...

Vas
    Remy X likes this.
    Since we are all talking about the Palm Pre 3 device, I wanted to ask a question for all posters that might have some answers to them and might help me with my new device. On my device, I see the option for me to activate visual voicemail on Verizon Pre 3 but somehow mysteriously can't seem to activate it. Just keep sending me to the browser and nothing happens, I thought that carrier Verizon support that feature.....or Am I missing something ?

Also when opening the camera application, there's seems to be missing the feature of using the front facing camera to even snap a few pictures(not that it's important)...does anyone know on how using the device front-facing camera or install a patch to activate it on the camera app ?
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    Since we are all talking about the Palm Pre 3 device, I wanted to ask a question for all posters that might have some answers to them and might help me with my new device. On my device, I see the option for me to activate visual voicemail on Verizon Pre 3 but somehow mysteriously can't seem to activate it. Just keep sending me to the browser and nothing happens, I thought that carrier Verizon support that feature.....or Am I missing something ?

Also when opening the camera application, there's seems to be missing the feature of using the front facing camera to even snap a few pictures(not that it's important)...does anyone know on how using the device front-facing camera or install a patch to activate it on the camera app ?
    I'm pretty sure the front-facing camera is for Skype only, but i did hear of someone getting it to work... if there's a patch for it, it's probably here somewhere...
    I downloaded a camera app for the front-facing camera. I can't remember for sure but I think I got it from the app catalog, not from Preware.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    It's arrived! I'm now an official Pre 3 owner, and extremely excited and looking forward to using it.

Thanks to everyone that shared comments, experiences, and suggestions. I truly appreciate it. At times, I had thoughts of moving on to an Android phone. I couldn't see myself making the switch. There is no comparison to webOS, none! And the community that we have...priceless. There's nothing like it!

I'm about to backup my data and make the full transition to the Pre 3. I'll keep you posted and thanks again!
    Last edited by qbenguy; 07/30/2013 at 10:37 PM.
    As I recall, Verizon's visual voicemail service is an extra-cost option. My guess is that you'll have to go to your My Verizon account and add it, then activate it on your phone. Personally, I just use Google Voice and the SynerGV v1 app.

There is a Preware app called FrontCam and a catalog app called Front-facing Camera Mirror.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Quote Originally Posted by VasTheGreek View Post
    Before you start installing, copying etc....look in the forums for the fix to increase the partition for the DB files. I moved from the Pre- to the Pre3 as well but after a few months (mainly cause of the numbers of emails I was having) my DB file got too large and my Pre3 crashed and I had to reinstall everything from scratch.

I would recommend that once you get your new device to resize the partitions. It may take you an extra hour to setup but in the long run you will are probably better off. Ok you got to feel comfortable to run the linux commands and understand that you will lose a bit of storage space, but I think it is a move well worth it...

Regarding the move you will love it as others said above. The speed difference is huge...

Vas
    Since you seem to know which thread contains a verified procedure for doing this, would you mind posting a link? Just searching for "resize partitions" results in a plethora of possibilities.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    Since you seem to know which thread contains a verified procedure for doing this, would you mind posting a link? Just searching for "resize partitions" results in a plethora of possibilities.
    After trying android on an S3 for 6 months I decided to grab a Pre3 off ebay. I have been watching this thread for some time now having gone from Pre- to S3 (hating it) and contemplating a Pre3, and with my Pre3 set to arrive today I have done some extensive reading and I found the droids you were looking for...

This is the thread Vas was referring to... "The application database is almost full"?

And here is the verified solution found in the Tips section... Workaround for Application Database is Full error | webOS Nation

Now from what I have read you can either go ahead and do this procedure if you're technically inclined and that should prevent this error from occurring in most cases. I have also read that if you keep your email settings to last day only or last 3 days you may be able to avoid the error and this procedure altogether.

I plan to just change my email settings to last 3 days, and if the error message comes up (usually happens around 10% free) IGNORE it to avoid immediate reset/erasure and proceed with the fix mentioned above.

I hope that clears things up for you.

Edit: Might I also add that this: The Big Patch Thread is a very helpful thread
    Last edited by osmap; 08/17/2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Don't want to double post and have additional helpful information