Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Hi all "ISSUE SOLVED - Read on if you got problems, might help!"

Just got a Pre 3, upgrading from a Pre 2 I have 3 touchstones all working perfecly with the Pre 2.

When I set my Pre 3 on ether stone the charging lightning icon starts flasching indicating charging/not charging and give a bing bong sound every 5sec.

Tried multiple times to realign the phone also removed the plastic ring on one of the stones.
    Also tried the business card trick that worked with the Pre 2 but no luck
    Really annoying.

Any help is appreciated, I'm no stranger to modify a stone if that's what it takes

// Beca
    Last edited by beca; 08/19/2013 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Problem Solved
    Simens S3 -> Simens S10 -> Palm V & Simens S35i -> SE T610 & Palm T2 -> SE S700 & Palm T3 ->SE W810i -> Palm Pre- running WebOS 2.1!! @500Mhz -> Palm Pre 2. The Pre 2 rocks. -> Pre 3, Nice & Touchpad=> Future Pre 4 wanted.
    It could be you have a "lemon" Pre 3 which doesn't have the coil in the back properly aligned causing the Touchstone issue? I had the same with 1 of my Veers in the past.
    Remy X likes this.
    Yeah, and I have noticed that after a while, the Pre3 case can produce this. It's like something is improperly bent... Alas, I do not have a cause or a solution, as I have not investigated it too much.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by beca View Post
    Hi all

Just got a Pre 3, upgrading from a Pre 2 I have 3 touchstones all working perfecly with the Pre 2.

When I set my Pre 3 on ether stone the charging lightning icon starts flasching indicating charging/not charging and give a bing bong sound every 5sec.

Tried multiple times to realign the phone also removed the plastic ring on one of the stones.
    Also tried the business card trick that worked with the Pre 2 but no luck
    Really annoying.

Any help is appreciated, I'm no stranger to modify a stone if that's what it takes

// Beca
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    It could be you have a "lemon" Pre 3 which doesn't have the coil in the back properly aligned causing the Touchstone issue? I had the same with 1 of my Veers in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Yeah, and I have noticed that after a while, the Pre3 case can produce this. It's like something is improperly bent... Alas, I do not have a cause or a solution, as I have not investigated it too much.
    The Battery has always been the issue for me...

So Lithium Ion battery's Swell (call this Bulge, call it the plump, call it they get fatter)?

Something to do with the chemical makeup of a battery...

Video: Smallest Li-Ion Battery Ever Created Swells and Contorts While Charging | Popular Science

Ok enough of the science, the experience, once the battery swell it pushes the battery door away from the connector just enough where the two pins PrePlus/Pre2 look like little springs, PixiPlus they are contacts not springs, four pins in Pre3, six pins in the Touchpad Go, etc... you get the picture, they do not touch correctly, bing, bong, bing, bong.

If the pins/contacts do not touch bing,bong,bing,bong... Solution: make the contacts on the TouchStone Door longer (I added solder to my PrePlus Battery Door), I have never again seen my phone bing,bong,bing,bong.

Others have tried other fixes, but making sure the Battery Door and the TouchStone contacts always meet proved to work for me. (YMMV)
    Last edited by John Steffes; 07/18/2013 at 08:00 AM.
    Remy X likes this.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    The Battery has always been the issue for me...

So Lithium Ion battery's Swell (call this Bulge, call it the plump, call it they get fatter)?

Something to do with the chemical makeup of a battery...

Video: Smallest Li-Ion Battery Ever Created Swells and Contorts While Charging | Popular Science

Ok enough of the science, the experience, once the battery swell it pushes the battery door away from the connector just enough where the two pins PrePlus/Pre2 look like little springs, PixiPlus they are contacts not springs, four pins in Pre3, six pins in the Touchpad Go, etc... you get the picture, they do not touch correctly, bing, bong, bing, bong.

If the pins/contacts do not touch bing,bong,bing,bong... Solution: make the contacts on the TouchStone Door longer (I added solder to my PrePlus Battery Door), I have never again seen my phone bing,bong,bing,bong.

Others have tried other fixes, but making sure the Battery Door and the TouchStone contacts always meet proved to work for me. (YMMV)
    Hi

So what you are saying is that the coil could be misaligned in relations to the position to the magnets.
    And the pins in the cover and phone does not connect properly.

// Beca
    Simens S3 -> Simens S10 -> Palm V & Simens S35i -> SE T610 & Palm T2 -> SE S700 & Palm T3 ->SE W810i -> Palm Pre- running WebOS 2.1!! @500Mhz -> Palm Pre 2. The Pre 2 rocks. -> Pre 3, Nice & Touchpad=> Future Pre 4 wanted.
    Hi

So what you are saying is that the coil could be misaligned in relations to the position to the magnets.
    And the pins in the cover and phone does not connect properly.

// Beca
    I am referring to the inside of the back cover (the battery door), there is a touchstone charging coil and the leads go to a few pins which when the battery door is put on the phone the pins connect to the pins on the inside of the phone. These pins are not long enough to keep contact, which on my phone is what caused the ping, bong, ping, bong. (YMMV)

I guess if the battery swells and pushes the battery door, it could also create a swell so the puck and the phone do not meet to make contact to charge? Might be where the business card or taking the ring off might fix it?
    I had a similar issues after having replaced the discs in the back case of the Pre3 with x8 extra magnets, as the extra thickness they presented also tended to lift the back cover connector-block away from the connector springs in the phone body.

I used a two-fold non-solder solution.

1). Gently clean and then prise the phone body spring-connectors 'up' a little.
    2). Carefully clean and then insert (and glue if you choose to) two small pieces of thin card under each end of the back cover connector-block mounting bracket to raise it slightly.

This has allowed a reliable connection to remain between the two, despite multiple back-cover removals etc ever since.

It is likely that the glitch lies in these in-phone connectors rather than in the Touchstone itself, but removing the Touchstone 'ring' would certainly also bring the two coils slightly closer within each other's effective fields.
    However, I also have a Touchstone with x8 magnets fitted externally to that 'ring', which in their turn in fact pulls these coils slightly further away from each other, but to no subsequent or apparent ill effect on charging/comms etc!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 07/18/2013 at 04:47 PM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    I had a similar issues after having replaced the discs in the back case of the Pre3 with x8 extra magnets, as the extra thickness they presented also tended to lift the back cover connector-block away from the connector springs in the phone body.

I used a two-fold non-solder solution.

1). Gently clean and then prise the phone body spring-connectors 'up' a little.
    2). Carefully clean and then insert (and glue if you choose to) two small pieces of thin card under each end of the back cover connector-block mounting bracket to raise it slightly.

This has allowed a reliable connection to remain between the two, despite multiple back-cover removals etc ever since.

It is likely that the glitch lies in these in-phone connectors rather than in the Touchstone itself, but removing the Touchstone 'ring' would certainly also bring the two coils slightly closer within each other's effective fields.
    However, I also have a Touchstone with x8 magnets fitted externally to that 'ring', which in their turn in fact pulls these coils slightly further away from each other, but to no subsequent or apparent ill effect on charging/comms etc!

Just put some solder on the contacs on the back cover did not change the symptoms.

//Beca
    Just put some solder on the contacs on the back cover did not change the symptoms.

//Beca
    Sorry... (YMMV)...

For me it was not just a spot but it was a mound of solder...

If you do not want to do that, you can do what they did in the Veer.

Use a small bundle wire or ribbon (with enough wires to go from the back cover to the inside of the phone), long enough to take off the cover and replace the battery (but short enough not to block the cover from snapping on), solder the wires from the cover to the inside contacts, therefore, bypassing the spring connection issue.

//Beca
    Yes, nor was I suggesting that it would! Rather, stated that I used a x2 NON-solder 'solution'.

Last edited by Mutoidi; 07/19/2013 at 04:59 PM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    So took some time to workshop.
    And hardwired the back to the phone with 4 small wires.
    And the issue persisted which leaves me to believe the back cover does not work as it should or the coils is not close enough.

Ether way the connection between back and phone seems to have been ok from the start.

So disassembled the touchstone and found the charging coil and also a much smaller coil. I wonder what the small coil is for? I did a test and put the charging coli to the back of the phone and nothing happened. Strange as it,s impossible to get the coils closer than that, it should be charging like crazy.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    //Beca

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    So providing that your Phone power management firmware and coils are operating correctly, you could next just try grabbing a replacement Palm 'Puck' unit? - They are very cheap on ebay etc nowadays.
    I believe the smaller 'NFC' coil also serves to communicate between phone & charger - ie. whether the phone is even on the charger and then how much charge-current to supply it with etc.

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    So providing that your Phone power management firmware and coils are operating correctly, you could next just try grabbing a replacement Palm 'Puck' unit? - They are very cheap on ebay etc nowadays.
    I believe the smaller 'NFC' coil also serves to communicate between phone & charger - ie. whether the phone is even on the charger and then how much charge-current to supply it with etc.

Then I'm in real trouble.
    I have 3 stones, one at home, one at work and one in my car which all works perfectly with my Pre 2.
    All three with there dedicated charger.

So this leads me to believe I have a faulty coil in the back cover.
    Is there a possibility to get a replacement? have searched ebay with no luck

//Beca
    Last edited by beca; 07/20/2013 at 02:46 PM.
    i thought the whole issue i just because the pre3 is rounded? mine used to bing bong all teh time till i found the sweet spot to place it, which was farther down than usual instead of centered.

also isnt there a forum post round here somewhere of a user who remedied the problem by rounding/filing his puck making the pre3 fit and charge perfectly?

EDIT: Touchstone fix for HP Pre 3

not sure if theres more like that, coudla sworn i also saw a thread with larger pictures.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Then I'm in real trouble.
    I have 3 stones, one at home, one at work and one in my car which all works perfectly with my Pre 2.
    All three with there dedicated charger.

So this leads me to believe I have a faulty coil in the back cover.
    Is there a possibility to get a replacement? have searched ebay with no luck

//Beca
    OK.. if you got all your wires the right way around, then it does now sound as if it is the Phone which is 'dodgy'.
    This could be a hardware or a software issue. (You did already mention having other chargers in your OP - apologies!).
    Was the Phone 'new' (ie. unused) when you first got it?
    Occaisionally broken Pre3's for spare parts do come up here, yes.
    There are also some strange looking Pre charging 'kits' floating around 'taobao' that may be useful for spares/parts? (Pic)
    But have you considered 'Doctoring' it first anyway? This may refresh/rule-out any glitchy softwares involved?

I've never actually had a problem with charging the Pre3 on a Touchstone, but filed a curve into the Puck anyway, to assist magnetic lock & location stability etc.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 07/20/2013 at 04:02 PM.

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    OK.. if you got all your wires the right way around, then it does now sound as if it is the Phone which is 'dodgy'.
    This could be a hardware or a software issue. (You did already mention having other chargers in your OP - apologies!).
    Was the Phone 'new' (ie. unused) when you first got it?
    Occaisionally broken Pre3's for spare parts do come up here, yes.
    There are also some strange looking Pre charging 'kits' floating around 'taobao' that may be useful for spares/parts? (Pic)
    But have you considered 'Doctoring' it first anyway? This may refresh/rule-out any glitchy softwares involved?

I've never actually had a problem with charging the Pre3 on a Touchstone, but filed a curve into the Puck anyway, to assist magnetic lock & location stability etc.

The phone was unused, just activated and updated to 2.2.4 by a very famous forum member who I trust.
    But I'll take it to the doctor first before doing any more hardware modifications.

I also checked the coil in the back and it was dead centered between the magnets.
    Will test more in the morning.

//Beca
    The phone was unused, just activated and updated to 2.2.4 by a very famous forum member who I trust.
    But I'll take it to the doctor first before doing any more hardware modifications.

I also checked the coil in the back and it was dead centered between the magnets.
    Will test more in the morning.

//Beca
    OK.. good luck with those next steps.. I hope that the answers are forthcoming!

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    After a trip to the doctor still no luck.

Does anyone know the pinout of the pre 3 back cover connector?

Will connect my pre 2 back cover to verify if its the phone or back cover that's faulty.

//Beca

After a trip to the doctor still no luck.

Does anyone know the pinout of the pre 3 back cover connector?

Will connect my pre 2 back cover to verify if its the phone or back cover that's faulty.

//Beca

if you've got a Pre2 and Pre3 back cover, put each one on the stone and put a meter on those contacts; see what amperage you have coming thru.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    if you've got a Pre2 and Pre3 back cover, put each one on the stone and put a meter on those contacts; see what amperage you have coming thru.
    Hi Great advise.
    Just did before i read your post, have you tried it?

I tested to take the meter to measure the voltage coming from the pre 3, tested all four pins and nothing!
    So now the pre 2 tested the 2 pins on the phone, nothing!

Now i put the pre 2 cover on the stone and the meter BAM!!! 5,6Volts, right on target.
    Put the Pre 3 cover on the stone, tested all four pins and NOTHING!!.

So can someone please make the test on a stone with a pre 3 cover to verify my findings?

Unless there is some circuit in the cover preventing charge unless its connected to the phone my cover for the pre 3 is busted!

/edit/ I peeled of the sticker covering the coil in the pre 3 cover, there is just a coil noting else, that's why I get no power from it.
    In the pre 2 cover there is a small circuit board converting the magnetic AC current to 5volts DC.
    So unless we get a scope to measure the frequency coming out of the pre 3 back there is little to do, all the charging circuitry is in the phone! (Pre 3) /edit/

If you try this please post a picture showing which pins on the cover you found + and -, and everything else you might discover maybe by accident

//Beca
    Last edited by beca; 07/21/2013 at 01:21 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast