Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38
Like Tree4Likes
  1. #21  
    is everyone sure its not just the case of the puck not fitting a rounded pre3 phone, thus not seating/charging properly?

    or is the pre2 also as deeply rounded/pebbled as the pre3?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  2. #22  
    "..So can someone please make the test on a stone with a pre 3 cover to verify my findings?.."

    Can confirm :: No Volts apparent here.
    Presumably because, as you suggest, the charger does not know that the Pre3 is attached to it - which technically, it isn't!
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 07/21/2013 at 05:39 PM.

    TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    is everyone sure its not just the case of the puck not fitting a rounded pre3 phone, thus not seating/charging properly?

    or is the pre2 also as deeply rounded/pebbled as the pre3?

    Pre3 charges OK here on filed puck, standard puck and standard puck with extra magnets fitted (which effects to move phone back-cover coil even further from puck coil).

    But I have noticed (probably because of the comparatively high current surge drawn by the puck when a phone is placed on it for charge), that all the USB connectors/plugs/sockets need to have clean and soundly conducting connector surfaces, or else continuity may then be 'broken' at that point, until it is addressed/cleaned/tweaked/re-plugged etc.


    Last edited by Mutoidi; 07/21/2013 at 04:35 PM.

    TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  4. beca's Avatar
    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
       #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    "..So can someone please make the test on a stone with a pre 3 cover to verify my findings?.."

    Can confirm :: No Volts apparent here.
    Thanks, we just made progress. Confirmation of this makes me more sure that the flaw is in the phone itself.

    As I have tested all 3 of my pucks with the pre 2 before trying the pre 3, and the pre 2 charged just fine.
    Now its a matter of taking it further.

    I've been trying to find youtube clips or images of a disassembled pre 3 to use as a guide for when I try to correct what might be wrong.

    It still charges just fine via USB but what makes these phones great is conductive charging.
    Bit deep perhaps
    Have anyone else fond a teardown of a pre 3?

    Here is what I just found when I measured the coil and connector in the back cover of the pre 3
    The small flat gold contact surfaces in the cover, from top to bottom, the coil is connected to 2 & 3 while 1 & 4
    is shorted with each other.
    The short might be a way for the phone to recognize that the cover is actually seated ok or it just might a dummy?

    Any thoughts are welcome.

    //Beca
    Last edited by beca; 07/21/2013 at 06:09 PM.
    Simens S3 -> Simens S10 -> Palm V & Simens S35i -> SE T610 & Palm T2 -> SE S700 & Palm T3 ->SE W810i -> Palm Pre- running WebOS 2.1!! @500Mhz -> Palm Pre 2. The Pre 2 rocks. -> Pre 3, Nice & Touchpad=> Future Pre 4 wanted.
  5. #25  
    Plenty of still Pics here anyway:

    HP Pre 3 FCC teardown

    Are you getting any Pre3 'Touch to Share' action with your Touchpad, despite no Inductive Charging?

    ~&~

    TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Pre3 charges OK here on filed puck, standard puck and standard puck with extra magnets fitted (which effects to move phone back-cover coil even further from puck coil).

    But I have noticed (probably because of the comparatively high current surge drawn by the puck when a phone is placed on it for charge), that all the USB connectors/plugs/sockets need to have clean and soundly conducting connector surfaces, or else continuity may then be 'broken' at that point, until it is addressed/cleaned/tweaked/re-plugged etc.


    surely the filed down puck seats the coils on the pre3 better and keeps the back of the pre3 closer, thus making sure of a good seat/charge.

    isnt that the only difference between the pre2 and pre3? ones flatter and seats on the touchstone better and the pre3 is more rounded so doesnt contact as perfectly? (i dont have a pre2 to see the difference, ive just seen what others have said on the forums)

    I know on my puck i get bing-bong unles mines sat in a perfectly seated position about 1-2cm down from center so the bottom of the phones closer to touching desk, when that occurs it charges perfectly, if i seat it up a bit i get BING/BONG charging/not charging.

    was going to file down a puck but forgot about it and didnt want too unless i had a spare just incase i messed it up.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  7. #27  
    The main issue with the concave surface of the puck is that the flatter, heavier Pre3 (I don't have a Pre2 either!) surface totally minimises the *suface area* contact - and thus also frictional grip - between the two. Thus filing it makes it stay where you put it more effectively. I have found that extra magnets IN the phone gives Tarzan grip, but that extra magnets just on the puck also gives good grip/positioning.

    Somewhere there is probably an inverse-quare equation that defines the relative magnetic/induction coil field-strength proportional to their distance from each other - yes! But to all intents and purposes in my experience the Pre3 always charges on the puck 'clunk'!

    The x8 extra magnets are great actually - I can literally 'throw' the Pre3 at the puck and it 'limpets-on' and always charges on the landing spot!


    TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  8. beca's Avatar
    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
       #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Plenty of still Pics here anyway:

    HP Pre 3 FCC teardown

    Are you getting any Pre3 'Touch to Share' action with your Touchpad, despite no Inductive Charging?

    ~&~
    My touchpad will arrive tomorrow, cant wait to try touch to share. Will report back as soon as I tried.
    Simens S3 -> Simens S10 -> Palm V & Simens S35i -> SE T610 & Palm T2 -> SE S700 & Palm T3 ->SE W810i -> Palm Pre- running WebOS 2.1!! @500Mhz -> Palm Pre 2. The Pre 2 rocks. -> Pre 3, Nice & Touchpad=> Future Pre 4 wanted.
    Mutoidi likes this.
  9. beca's Avatar
    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
       #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    surely the filed down puck seats the coils on the pre3 better and keeps the back of the pre3 closer, thus making sure of a good seat/charge.

    isnt that the only difference between the pre2 and pre3? ones flatter and seats on the touchstone better and the pre3 is more rounded so doesnt contact as perfectly? (i dont have a pre2 to see the difference, ive just seen what others have said on the forums)

    I know on my puck i get bing-bong unles mines sat in a perfectly seated position about 1-2cm down from center so the bottom of the phones closer to touching desk, when that occurs it charges perfectly, if i seat it up a bit i get BING/BONG charging/not charging.

    was going to file down a puck but forgot about it and didnt want too unless i had a spare just incase i messed it up.
    See, this is exactly why I think the fault is in the phone. As others can find a sweet spot and get it to charge without filing or mod the puck.

    And trust me I have tried to find that spot but no luck, I will file one anyway to use in my car to get a more secure grip will report back when its done.

    // Beca
    Simens S3 -> Simens S10 -> Palm V & Simens S35i -> SE T610 & Palm T2 -> SE S700 & Palm T3 ->SE W810i -> Palm Pre- running WebOS 2.1!! @500Mhz -> Palm Pre 2. The Pre 2 rocks. -> Pre 3, Nice & Touchpad=> Future Pre 4 wanted.
  10. beca's Avatar
    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
       #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by beca View Post
    My touchpad will arrive tomorrow, cant wait to try touch to share. Will report back as soon as I tried.
    So the touchpad recived up and running, actualy typing this on it using the forum app just synced from my Pre3 profile.
    Well did touch to share work? Yes it did without a flaw!!!
    And it is great, had no idea it could be so usefull.

    //Beca

    -- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    Simens S3 -> Simens S10 -> Palm V & Simens S35i -> SE T610 & Palm T2 -> SE S700 & Palm T3 ->SE W810i -> Palm Pre- running WebOS 2.1!! @500Mhz -> Palm Pre 2. The Pre 2 rocks. -> Pre 3, Nice & Touchpad=> Future Pre 4 wanted.
  11. #31  
    Great! - So the 'NFC' aspect of your Pre3 is functioning correctly anyway!
    Now for that pesky Touchstone set up....

    ~&~

    TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  12. beca's Avatar
    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
       #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Great! - So the 'NFC' aspect of your Pre3 is functioning correctly anyway!
    Now for that pesky Touchstone set up....

    ~&~
    Yes a stone of my shulders ;-)
    Just kidding.
    Actually filed one of my pucks yesterday and though the pre 3 now sits perfect on there the charging still don't work.
    Even tried connecting my touchpad 2Amp charger to the filed touchstone to get extra power, did not change anything.

    So the flaw is in the phone and there is probably nothing i can do about it, unless i find some parts on ebay. :-(

    //Beca

    -- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    Simens S3 -> Simens S10 -> Palm V & Simens S35i -> SE T610 & Palm T2 -> SE S700 & Palm T3 ->SE W810i -> Palm Pre- running WebOS 2.1!! @500Mhz -> Palm Pre 2. The Pre 2 rocks. -> Pre 3, Nice & Touchpad=> Future Pre 4 wanted.
  13. #33  
    "..Yes a stone of my shulders ;-).."
    - And a burden to bear!

    Well.. does anyone on your local network also have a Pre3?
    Maybe you could arrange to do 'swapsies' with their working back cover for a minute or two and
    that would then tell you at least, in which 'half' of your own phone the TS problem lies anyway?


    Last edited by Mutoidi; 07/24/2013 at 05:13 AM.

    TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    geekpeter likes this.
  14. beca's Avatar
    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
       #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    "..Yes a stone of my shulders ;-).."
    - And a burden to bear!

    Well.. does anyone on your local network also have a Pre3?
    Maybe you could arrange to do 'swapsies' with their working back cover for a minute or two and
    that would then tell you at least, in which 'half' of your own phone the TS problem lies anyway?


    Unfortunately not, I'm not aware of anyone else in Sweden who's got a Pre 3.
    I do know there are some people in Sweden who have webOS devices but I do not know any of them personally I'll have to keep an eye on ebay for parts.

    If anyone has a broken Pre 3 I'm interested please PM me.

    //Beca

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Simens S3 -> Simens S10 -> Palm V & Simens S35i -> SE T610 & Palm T2 -> SE S700 & Palm T3 ->SE W810i -> Palm Pre- running WebOS 2.1!! @500Mhz -> Palm Pre 2. The Pre 2 rocks. -> Pre 3, Nice & Touchpad=> Future Pre 4 wanted.
  15. beca's Avatar
    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
       #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by beca View Post
    Unfortunately not, I'm not aware of anyone else in Sweden who's got a Pre 3.
    I do know there are some people in Sweden who have webOS devices but I do not know any of them personally I'll have to keep an eye on ebay for parts.

    If anyone has a broken Pre 3 I'm interested please PM me.

    //Beca

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    SOLVED!!

    So as it turns out it was the back cover that somehow do not work. WHY I have not a clue.
    Just slapped on a brand new back cover and voila it charges both on my modified tuchstone and my unmodified.
    So happy. The tuchstone charging feature is just great and I cant live without it ;D

    Will mount the modified touchstone in the car, and keep the rest of my touchstones as they are. As the modified one really has the pre in a solide grip that prevent it from dropping to the floor if I ever should need to turn or break hard
    Simens S3 -> Simens S10 -> Palm V & Simens S35i -> SE T610 & Palm T2 -> SE S700 & Palm T3 ->SE W810i -> Palm Pre- running WebOS 2.1!! @500Mhz -> Palm Pre 2. The Pre 2 rocks. -> Pre 3, Nice & Touchpad=> Future Pre 4 wanted.
  16. #36  
    I've seen this a few times in a back cover or two of mine...

    FWIW, the back cover on the Pre3 only contains the coils. Two pins are for the TTS coil, the other two are for the Touchstone coil. The circuitry for both is on the main board (where as in the Pre, Pre+, Pre2, and Pixi, there was only one coil and its circuitry was on the back cover). I found this out modding extended battery backs, which means my back cover stock is horrendously limited... (If someone knows where I can pick up about a half dozen Pre3 backs -- just the backs -- I would love them forever! ^^ )

    And for anyone interested: The secret for modding an extended battery back is to use a dremel to sand some of the inside down -- and I learned that sanding the spots where the bits of metal go a little deeper provides a nice strong hold WITHOUT needing to add magnets! --and then painstakingly align the connectors......... I hated this. There are probably more elegant ways. But I am hoping to try to create my own back, since the Mugen ones are ****... (the tabs on mine have broken off....... it is falling apart.... and the "soft touch" has worn off....)
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  17. beca's Avatar
    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
       #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I've seen this a few times in a back cover or two of mine...

    FWIW, the back cover on the Pre3 only contains the coils. Two pins are for the TTS coil, the other two are for the Touchstone coil. The circuitry for both is on the main board (where as in the Pre, Pre+, Pre2, and Pixi, there was only one coil and its circuitry was on the back cover). I found this out modding extended battery backs, which means my back cover stock is horrendously limited... (If someone knows where I can pick up about a half dozen Pre3 backs -- just the backs -- I would love them forever! ^^ )

    And for anyone interested: The secret for modding an extended battery back is to use a dremel to sand some of the inside down -- and I learned that sanding the spots where the bits of metal go a little deeper provides a nice strong hold WITHOUT needing to add magnets! --and then painstakingly align the connectors......... I hated this. There are probably more elegant ways. But I am hoping to try to create my own back, since the Mugen ones are ****... (the tabs on mine have broken off....... it is falling apart.... and the "soft touch" has worn off....)
    How did you find that there are 2 coils? My findings is that the connection points furthest apart measured on the phone itself are shorted! And when i disassembled the back I only saw 1 coil.
    And I have read somewhere that the charging and touch to share works of different frequency's that means charging and communication can be achieved at the same time without interfering.

    Can someone back me up on this?
    Simens S3 -> Simens S10 -> Palm V & Simens S35i -> SE T610 & Palm T2 -> SE S700 & Palm T3 ->SE W810i -> Palm Pre- running WebOS 2.1!! @500Mhz -> Palm Pre 2. The Pre 2 rocks. -> Pre 3, Nice & Touchpad=> Future Pre 4 wanted.
  18. eyebee127's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by beca View Post
    How did you find that there are 2 coils? My findings is that the connection points furthest apart measured on the phone itself are shorted! And when i disassembled the back I only saw 1 coil.
    And I have read somewhere that the charging and touch to share works of different frequency's that means charging and communication can be achieved at the same time without interfering.

    Can someone back me up on this?
    dkirker is right. there are two coils. one for the touchstone and one for TTS. since they're coils, two pins will be "shorted" while the other two are "shorted" to each other. think of them as the ends of a snake.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Charging message on Pre keeps flashing while charging on Touchstone
    By purplepansy in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03/01/2012, 04:30 PM
  2. Pre 3 keeps dying while charging on Touchstone
    By JimmieGeddes in forum HP Pre 3
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12/22/2011, 11:23 AM
  3. TouchStone charging issue
    By kryptonite_2448 in forum webOS Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09/12/2011, 06:58 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03/12/2010, 10:07 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10/08/2009, 11:57 AM

Posting Permissions