Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By John Steffes
  1.    #1  
    Sorry if this was covered elsewhere....
    I've got 2 backup VZW Pre3's, if I update the certificate with another profile, will it stick when a device wipe is done? Wondering if it's worth the hassle to use Impostah to create a profile for them and update the certificate.
    TIA
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    my estimation is, that s simple profile wipe would not revert the certs. So you could just use new dummy profiles and update now.

if you doctor, then old certs will be there of course.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    my estimation is, that s simple profile wipe would not revert the certs. So you could just use new dummy profiles and update now.

if you doctor, then old certs will be there of course.
    Made profiles for both and updated them, thanks!
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    It seems the cert. is backed up to your profile. See the note at the bottom of this article.

https://developer.palm.com/support/applicationupdate

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
  5.    #5  
    Nice, should've thought to check there, from the link:
    "Note: Once the appropriate update is installed, the certificate is renewed even if the user later decides to reset the device (partial or full erase), or deletes any of the updates discussed here."
    There are three files that get updated with the Cert update (either the App Catalog Update, FindApps for Phones, or Enyo-FindApps for Touchpads).

However, it does not go to your profile, only the device, if you were to doctor the device you would have to re-update the Certs...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 07/18/2013 at 07:04 AM.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    FYI: I recently created a new profile only to install the cert. On my backup Pre3. After installation I did a full secure erase and rebooted using the new profile. HP's servers restored an update to the App Catalog application. I assume that it was pushing the cert. from my new profile backup.

For interest sake I will do a full secure erase again and try it after the 23rd... and report...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    There are three files that get updated with the Cert update (either the App Catalog Update, FindApps for Phones, or Enyo-FindApps for Touchpads).

However, it does not go to your profile, only the device, if you were to doctor the device you would have to re-update the Certs...
    Thanks for the clarification. I interpret this to mean that with my certificate-updated spare Pre3, I can perform a full wipe and then, after the 23rd, successfully setup this spare Pre3 with any profile. Please clarify if otherwise. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith View Post
    FYI: I recently created a new profile only to install the cert. On my backup Pre3. After installation I did a full secure erase and rebooted using the new profile. HP's servers restored an update to the App Catalog application. I assume that it was pushing the cert. from my new profile backup.

For interest sake I will do a full secure erase again and try it after the 23rd... and report...
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. I interpret this to mean that with my certificate-updated spare Pre3, I can perform a full wipe and then, after the 23rd, successfully setup this spare Pre3 with any profile. Please clarify if otherwise. Thanks.
    When you first join a device to your profile it will download all applications you have purchased (Free or Paid), the App Catalog Updater and FindApps, is now part of that list...

I have webOS 2.2.4, when I first join it downloads the MAPS app, I already have that (updated as part of my doctor), but during the first use it forces all your apps back down to rebuild where you were.

So no matter what you do with this profile it will attempt to bring down that App, create a new profile (blank) and it will no longer attempt to bring down the Cert Update but it will bring down an updated FindApps (because the one on your phone, assuming stock doctor was used) will be older.

Once your Certs are updated, unless you doctor your phone (assuming stock doctor, it will put the old certs back), you will always be updated.
    i guess updated certs (in path /etc/ssl/certs/trustedcerts/PalmWebOS.pem) are just not deleted from the device if it was updated once. Even if using different profiles or using different standard account wiping methods.

If, like mentioned above, the cert would only be saved in an updated profile and would come as appcat-update on profile login after 23. july, it could not access that update as the cert would be old and no access to the cloud could be made (egg/chicken problem).

They only get overwritten/deleted by doctoring with a standard doctor file.
    Well and even then it should be possible by resetting time: https://developer.palm.com/support/applicationupdate
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    When you first join a device to your profile it will download all applications you have purchased (Free or Paid), the App Catalog Updater and FindApps, is now part of that list...

I have webOS 2.2.4, when I first join it downloads the MAPS app, I already have that (updated as part of my doctor), but during the first use it forces all your apps back down to rebuild where you were.

So no matter what you do with this profile it will attempt to bring down that App, create a new profile (blank) and it will no longer attempt to bring down the Cert Update but it will bring down an updated FindApps (because the one on your phone, assuming stock doctor was used) will be older.

Once your Certs are updated, unless you doctor your phone (assuming stock doctor, it will put the old certs back), you will always be updated.
    Thanks for taking the time to clarify. I appreciate it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    i guess updated certs (in path /etc/ssl/certs/trustedcerts/PalmWebOS.pem) are just not deleted from the device if it was updated once. Even if using different profiles or using different standard account wiping methods.

If, like mentioned above, the cert would only be saved in an updated profile and would come as appcat-update on profile login after 23. july, it could not access that update as the cert would be old and no access to the cloud could be made (egg/chicken problem).

They only get overwritten/deleted by doctoring with a standard doctor file.
    Well and even then it should be possible by resetting time: https://developer.palm.com/support/applicationupdate
    This makes sense to me now. Thanks.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    FYI: Booted my previously certificate-updated but full-secure-erased backup Pre3 with my 4G SIM. I logged in using my previously-created temporary profile and sure enough it connected to my Palm profile and the App Catalog...

Sent from my ThinkPadTablet using Tapatalk HD
    so, I have 2 pre 3s & a veer all certs UTD before deadline... If I hafta doctor in future am I screwed? Or are the certs retained?
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    so, I have 2 pre 3s & a veer all certs UTD before deadline... If I hafta doctor in future am I screwed? Or are the certs retained?
    The existing doctors have the old certs, so when you re-doctor you will have the old certs...

I am working on updating my Super meta-doctor scripts, and when I have time I will write a doctor update script (independent of meta doctor), which given a doctor it will unpack the doctor extract the existing certs modify them with a delta patch which will bring them to the new certs, then insert the new certs into the doctor and then re-pack the doctor (fixing all the md5sums)... But until that is done, there are three ways of updating the certs..

1) Roll back your time join your profile, apply app-catalog update...
    (https://developer.palm.com/support/applicationupdate)
    2) copy the certs from an all-ready updated phone/tablet...
    3) use the ipk (saved from an all-ready updated phone/tablet) an apply it to your other devices (using WOSQI, PreWare, command line, or internalzPro)...

So in summary when you doctor you loose the new certs..
    The existing doctors have the old certs, so when you re-doctor you will have the old certs...

I am working on updating my Super meta-doctor scripts, and when I have time I will write a doctor update script (independent of meta doctor), which given a doctor it will unpack the doctor extract the existing certs modify them with a delta patch which will bring them to the new certs, then insert the new certs into the doctor and then re-pack the doctor (fixing all the md5sums)... But until that is done, there are three ways of updating the certs..

1) Roll back your time join your profile, apply app-catalog update...
    (https://developer.palm.com/support/applicationupdate)
    2) copy the certs from an all-ready updated phone/tablet...
    3) use the ipk (saved from an all-ready updated phone/tablet) an apply it to your other devices (using WOSQI, PreWare, command line, or internalzPro)...

So in summary when you doctor you loose the new certs..
    here https://developer.palm.com/support/applicationupdate reference made to STAND ALONE installer for the certs... You refer to EXTRACTION of a ipk for update of a doctored phone. Would you or another supply an *****'s wiki how to get this done ? TIA !!
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    here https://developer.palm.com/support/applicationupdate reference made to STAND ALONE installer for the certs... You refer to EXTRACTION of a ipk for update of a doctored phone. Would you or another supply an *****'s wiki how to get this done ? TIA !!
    Would be nice if HP just added the IPK to their web site, but they don't they only want to deploy it out to people who have a existing device with either the old certs, or new certs. As only an existing device can get the IPK's, how to get them has been posted on this forum in other threads, because we are dealing with copyrighted information, I can't post the information in a WIKI, nor can I post the IPK here... If you get written permission from HP/PALM I would be happy to assist.

Really HP/PALM should update the doctors for all the devices, but as HP/Palm can care less about webOS, or even more about us, they will never do that... They could update their UNLOCKED Pre2,Pre3 and Touchpad as they do not have to get carrier approval for those.
    i guess updated certs (in path /etc/ssl/certs/trustedcerts/PalmWebOS.pem) are just not deleted from the device if it was updated once.
    So we can just:
    1) Make a copy of the new cert into a folder under /media/internal/.
    2) Hook up the webOS device to a PC and copy the new cert to a backup location.
    3) Reverse that process after doctoring (or to update a device that had the old cert).

Did I get that correct? If so, that sounds pretty simple.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    So we can just:
    1) Make a copy of the new cert into a folder under /media/internal/.
    2) Hook up the webOS device to a PC and copy the new cert to a backup location.
    3) Reverse that process after doctoring (or to update a device that had the old cert).

Did I get that correct? If so, that sounds pretty simple.
    There are three Certs that get updated, one cert gets updated in two places...

Rod posted the script in another post (http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ml#post3393640), but yes, if one copies the three files from one device and puts then in the four locations (the forth location is only valid when a palm profile is active) on the other devices then the other device will now have the new certs...
    sshaka likes this.
    There are three Certs that get updated, one cert gets updated in two places...

Rod posted the script in another post (http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ml#post3393640), but yes, if one copies the three files from one device and puts then in the four locations (the forth location is only valid when a palm profile is active) on the other devices then the other device will now have the new certs...
    I noticed in Rod's post that he mentioned that it is possible to create a Preware package that would install the new security certs on a webOS device.

Does anyone know if he actually did this, yet?

I don't remember seeing any such thing in the past month, but maybe I didn't recognize it for what it was.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix