1.    #1  
    About 3 days ago my Pre 3, which has worked perfectly since September 2011, suddenly started shutting down at random. It will not now restart at all. I have tried the 6 ways to recover given in the manual and the recovery methods using webOS Doctor in http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/How_To_Recover

The Pre3 is not recognised by my MacBook when I plug in the USB cable, nor is it recognised by webOS Doctor. I have tried using another fully charged battery but that makes no difference. The handset appears, for all intents and purposes, to be totally dead.

Is there anything else I can do or is there somewhere I can send it for repair (I am in the UK)? Many thanks.
    The easiest thing would be to buy a new one and sell the original as a parts donor.

Unfortunately HP has used a cheaper, more failure-prone grade of chips in the Pre3 and the Veer, so what you're seeing is normal to some extent. I'm sure there are some repair shops willing to trace the problem and make necessary repairs, but with such rare and proprietary hardware, it probably won't come cheap.

At least you haven't made the mistake of sending it back to HP, because there's been many complaints of them holding customers' hardware indefinitely, and nobody seems to have an idea of what happens to those devices other than them being intentionally "lost", mostly due to lack of spare parts.
    Sad...
    If you suspect total 'death', then it may just be worth getting the right 'Torx' screwdriver heads, removing the screws (there maybe one 'hidden' under a small HP sticker), carefully parting the frames and at least checking that the cables running to the 'screen-half' of the device are anyway not severed and are still apparently firmly connected - and also that the ribbon cable to the Volume button is still intact and in good condition?

On a 'touch-screen' device a dysfunctional screen would certainly give the appearance of 'death'!

Other than that, I presume you've tried all the buttton-pushing/battery-pulling/USB-plugging combos etc, can't get to recovery mode and have at it enough times to frighten it back to life anyway?

Last edited by Mutoidi; 07/15/2013 at 06:35 PM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Sad...
    If you suspect total 'death', then it may just be worth getting the right 'Torx' screwdriver heads, removing the screws (there maybe one 'hidden' under a small HP sticker), carefully parting the frames and at least checking that the cables running to the 'screen-half' of the device are anyway not severed and are still apparently firmly connected - and also that the ribbon cable to the Volume button is still intact and in good condition?

On a 'touch-screen' device a dysfunctional screen would certainly give the appearance of 'death'!

Other than that, I presume you've tried all the buttton-pushing/battery-pulling/USB-plugging combos etc, can't get to recovery mode and have at it enough times to frighten it back to life anyway?

Thanks to all for the advice. I'll maybe try a "tear down" to see if it is the screen cable, just for the experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesvickers View Post
    Thanks to all for the advice. I'll maybe try a "tear down" to see if it is the screen cable, just for the experience.
    Go for it - with care! Let us know the results too!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.