1.    #1  
    So I have owned a Pre 3 for a week now. I absolutely love it except for the browser, video player and few apps. I almost can't use the browser because it constantly refreshes itself, cuts off the bottom of the pages. Some websites don't appear properly like Yahoo. Does Pre 3 have HTML5 browser? I thought it did. This is a double whammy as there are not too many apps available so you rely more on the browser. I have download all the browsers paid and unpaid to no avail. The same issues are present across all webOS devices. Why is it that Palm/HP haven't figured that part out? It can't be memory issue as lesser powered Androids do just fine. Now on to the video issues. Majority of the time when I watch the video, whether its on YouTube, break videos or any other streaming video, I get can't play the video error. I have to download it first to watch them.
    Now can't we have a decent browser? I'm willing to pay premium price for a nice updated browser. Talking about apps, I would like to get few more apps for entertainment and few games like a racing game or baseball. Something like temple run type game with good graphics. Now I'm not addicted to apps, I used to have an LG Lucid as a WiFi only. I hardly had more than 10 apps installed. I would like one or two solid updated games. Is there a way to raise money for a certain app to entice a developer?
    Also is there a way to upgrade the RAMs on phones by any chance?

Thanks for reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by haseeb81 View Post
    So I have owned a Pre 3 for a week now. I absolutely love it except for the browser, video player and few apps. Talking about apps, I would like to get few more apps for entertainment and few games like a racing game or baseball. Something like temple run type game with good graphics. Now I'm not addicted to apps, I used to have an LG Lucid as a WiFi only. I hardly had more than 10 apps installed. I would like one or two solid updated games. Is there a way to raise money for a certain app to entice a developer?
    Also is there a way to upgrade the RAMs on phones by any chance?

Thanks for reading.
    Ok Browser, is based on webKit, web kit is open sourced:
    Open Source Packages - HP webOS open source compliance

Look for webkit, someone can update webkit and re-compile and release an updated thru PreWare...

Like LunaSysMgr (Touchpad - WOCE)

Big task, not sure who would take that on...

Media Player I use Kalemsoft Media Player (they have a Pre3 version on their website), I used the one from the App Catalog (been told it was removed/would be put back but I do not see it in the App Catalog anymore) works fine on the Pre3/Pre2/PrePlus/Veer...

Racing games there is ShrekKart, Need For Speed, Raging Thunder (Removed the original which was free, replaced version 2 which is paid), I still like the free version (I backed up all my apps)...

As for Temple Run my kids play that, have not seen anything like it in the App Catalog, but money is a developers dream, ask the developer of the Android version to write it for webOS and fork over money I am sure when the price is right it will be done...
    The browser engine that powers webOS is a WebKit fork dating back to '09, to the time when the original Pre was released. The Touchpad's browser is newer in some regards, or at least received a few in-house updates, but still is WebKit 1, a generation behind current Chrome and Safari builds.

Donald Kirker, who was a junior WebKit engineer at HP sometime between the Palm acquisition and the firesale that ended it all, is working on a QtWebKit-based standalone browser, (or rather continuing the HP project) but he's got a day job like all of us, so it'll take a while before the bugs are all worked out... Cause right now, it crashes while rendering many pages and that's gotta be taken care of
    @hasseb81: Did you doctor to 2.2.4? I did that with my Verizon Preł and haven't had the browser and video problems that you've had.

I will admit that, if it's been a while since I've done a restart, the video player (or the embedded player in an app like Flixster) may not stream the target video. A restart fixes that, and it doesn't come up that frequently.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
  5.    #5  
    I didn't have to doctor it, it updated to 2.2.4 on its own. Do I still have to doctor it? The Kalemsoft media replaces your default media player? As far as apps are concerned, I was wondering if we can basically ask for an app after some kind of polling and then raise the money for any developer to take the project. Do you think that would work?
    As far as apps are concerned, I was wondering if we can basically ask for an app after some kind of polling and then raise the money for any developer to take the project. Do you think that would work?
    This has been proposed so many times I think a lot of people have simply lost count. Further, it never happened when it could have made a difference; 95% of webOS devs have simply moved on at this point, leaving a handful that have their own projects already in progress or that they're still maintaining. The community could try and pool their money to get a competent developer interested, but it would by no means guarantee anything actually came of it.

That's just kinda the situation webOS is in anymore. The eyes are on Open webOS to save the platform, and that's going slowly and concentrating on ports more than new apps. The legacy 2.x and 3.x releases of webOS are still seeing activity, but its really minimal and mostly isolated to the hobbyists that've stuck around.
    I didn't have to doctor it, it updated to 2.2.4 on its own. Do I still have to doctor it?
    I was thinking that possibly you were running an older version. It's still possible that your 2.2.4 install isn't quite right, somehow, as your problems appear to be unique. I would think that a fresh 2.3.4 doctor would be a reasonable thing to try.

Anyone else have a better idea?

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    I was thinking that possibly you were running an older version. It's still possible that your 2.2.4 install isn't quite right, somehow, as your problems appear to be unique. I would think that a fresh 2.3.4 doctor would be a reasonable thing to try.

Anyone else have a better idea?
    Should I doctor it to 2.2.3 and then doctor it back to 2.2.4? Also I'm having issues with Skype, my account appears everywhere it needs to like accounts, messaging and phone app but it doesn't actually sign in. Whenever I try to sign in it doesn't do anything.