Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 1 Post By Mutoidi
  1.    #1  
    I am using my cousin's old Palm (HP) Pre 3 through Verizon (as did she), and USB mode is not working. I turned on developer mode and restarted the phone, but it's made no difference. It probably doesn't help that I'm not particularly tech-savvy...

Please help? Thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by kflather View Post
    I am using my cousin's old Palm (HP) Pre 3 through Verizon (as did she), and USB mode is not working. I turned on developer mode and restarted the phone, but it's made no difference. It probably doesn't help that I'm not particularly tech-savvy...

Please help? Thanks in advance!
    if you're talking about how the phone works like a typical USB flash drive, when you connect it to a computer, you need to confirm 3 things:

1 - the usb cable you're using is the "smart" kind which allows data to transfer, and not just charging the battery. yes, there is updated technology in microusb connectors and cabling. so if possible, confirm you're using a Palm cable that has the little chrome circle on each end.

2. make sure the cable is actually good. try some other phone and see if it connects like a typical USB drive.

3. you may need the drivers for the phone to be recognized by your computer. usually just having an internet connection is enough to make the computer find the driver it needs.

when you plug the phone in, does the little bubble pop up in your system tray reporting it's found new hardware? does it say anything about needing drivers? you may then need to go to your system settings/device manager and look for a usb device with the yellow triangle/exclamation point symbol, and update the driver.

just the first things that came to mind. good luck
    Remy X likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    if you're talking about how the phone works like a typical USB flash drive, when you connect it to a computer, you need to confirm 3 things:

1 - the usb cable you're using is the "smart" kind which allows data to transfer, and not just charging the battery. yes, there is updated technology in microusb connectors and cabling. so if possible, confirm you're using a Palm cable that has the little chrome circle on each end.

2. make sure the cable is actually good. try some other phone and see if it connects like a typical USB drive.

3. you may need the drivers for the phone to be recognized by your computer. usually just having an internet connection is enough to make the computer find the driver it needs.

when you plug the phone in, does the little bubble pop up in your system tray reporting it's found new hardware? does it say anything about needing drivers? you may then need to go to your system settings/device manager and look for a usb device with the yellow triangle/exclamation point symbol, and update the driver.

just the first things that came to mind. good luck
    Yes, the cord is fine, the phone charges when plugged in to the computer, but the USB mode does not work.

The computer sometimes does recognize that there's something plugged in to the USB port, but it does not recognize what. It also doesn't give me the option to update drivers.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate the effort!
    Yes, the cord is fine, the phone charges when plugged in to the computer, but the USB mode does not work.
    that's what i was suggesting you confirm by plugging in a different phone with same cord. any usb cord may charge the phone, but only "smart" usb cords, like an OEM palm cord, will transmit data as well. if the cord works with another phone, then there may be something wrong with your usb port in the phone. they can get damaged inside.

The computer sometimes does recognize that there's something plugged in to the USB port, but it does not recognize what. It also doesn't give me the option to update drivers.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate the effort!
    ok one more thing i just learned myself about an hour ago!

to force usb mode, press Option/Sym/U together. (option is that white button that was orange on the original Pre)

i just tried that for the first time myself, and it made the USB mode image come up immediately on a phone with a dead touchscreen.

(also be sure we're talking about the same thing: USB mode is to treat the phone like a flash drive; RECOVERY mode has the much larger usb symbol and is the pre-stage for running a webOS Doctor)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    that's what i was suggesting you confirm by plugging in a different phone with same cord. any usb cord may charge the phone, but only "smart" usb cords, like an OEM palm cord, will transmit data as well. if the cord works with another phone, then there may be something wrong with your usb port in the phone. they can get damaged inside.

ok one more thing i just learned myself about an hour ago!

to force usb mode, press Option/Sym/U together. (option is that white button that was orange on the original Pre)

i just tried that for the first time myself, and it made the USB mode image come up immediately on a phone with a dead touchscreen.

(also be sure we're talking about the same thing: USB mode is to treat the phone like a flash drive; RECOVERY mode has the much larger usb symbol and is the pre-stage for running a webOS Doctor)
    Hi

I have two computers. An old one that runs Microsoft XP and a newer one that runs Windows 7.
    I can easily connect my Pre3 to the XP computer. It has the Novacom driver installed that I successfully downloaded (can't remember how I did it now).

On the other hand I cannot download any version of Novacom driver for my computer with Windows 7. Hence I cannot use this computer to instal Preware and apps within it.

I am not sure why I cannot download the Novacom driver for Windows 7.

Are you having the same problem, Kflather?

Any ideas, TJs11thPre?

cheers
    @Newbury,

For accessing a Pre in USB storage mode, all the computer needs is the "Generic USB Hub" driver and also the one for "Generic USB Mass Storage Device", both of which are provided by Windows.

For WOSQI, you need the Novacom drivers, and those can be installed by downloading the Universal Novacom Installer or by running the first step of webOS Doctor and exiting out once the drivers have been installed, without wiping/reflashing the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    @Newbury,

For accessing a Pre in USB storage mode, all the computer needs is the "Generic USB Hub" driver and also the one for "Generic USB Mass Storage Device", both of which are provided by Windows.

For WOSQI, you need the Novacom drivers, and those can be installed by downloading the Universal Novacom Installer or by running the first step of webOS Doctor and exiting out once the drivers have been installed, without wiping/reflashing the phone.
    Hi Remy

I agree with you.
    However using a computer running Windows 7, I was not able to successfully download the Novacom driver nor the Universal Novacom driver.

Do you use Windows 7?
    May I ask when was the last time you downloaded the Universal Novacom?

From where would you suggest is best to download the Universal Novacom?
    cheers
    I just recently and successfully loaded an HP 'Mini 5101' Netbook with Win 7, WOSQI and Novacom, with the specific aim of having a small mobile 'webOS-device servicing-unit'.

So make sure you have the latest 'Java' version also installed and are on-line, then perhaps try re-using the attached 'Universal Novacom Installer' for Win 32//64? - And don't forget to reboot Windows PC afterwards, before then replugging your webOS device and allowing time for the driver recognition process etc!

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 07/09/2013 at 09:51 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    I just recently and successfully loaded an HP 'Mini 5101' Netbook with Win 7, WOSQI and Novacom, with the specific aim of having a small mobile 'webOS-device servicing-unit'.

So make sure you have the latest 'Java' version also installed and are on-line, then perhaps try re-using the attached 'Universal Novacom Installer' for Win 32//64? - And don't forget to reboot Windows PC afterwards, before then replugging your webOS device and allowing time for the driver recognition process etc!

Hi Mutoidi
    It worked! I updated Java on my Windows 7 pc and was then able to download the Universal Novacom driver.

cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by NK_Newbury View Post
    Hi Mutoidi
    It worked! I updated Java on my Windows 7 pc and was then able to download the Universal Novacom driver.

cheers
    i'm happy to see you got the information you needed before i had a chance to reply to your question above. this forum rocks!

i too am using win7, the latest WOSQI is 4.5 (but i also have an older version on hand in case reinstalling an older app requires it) and i have the universal novacom installer.

but as you found out, a critical point is the latest version of java, as almost everything we're discussing uses JAR files and relies on java to be current. Definitely keep your java version current. Java is a common intrusion venue.

and the other critical point to avoid conflicts is the 32bit/64bit variable. confirm your version.

ANOTHER UNUSUAL THING TO NOTICE with Win7 is how the devices are recognized in the device manager (Start>Devices and Printers)

The Pre3 was recognized as a smartphone, and created a hardware profile that stays in the list, much like a printer does.

My earlier phones (Pre-, Pre2) are only recognized as a temp storage device, like a USB drive. They disappear from the list of devices once unplugged.

so if you have further issues with Pre3 connectivity you can check your profile in the Device Manager