Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By TJs11thPre
  1.    #1  
    I live in an area where T-monile has started re-farming their spectrum. I have a T-mobile prepaid SIM in an unlocked AT&T Pre3, and so far I've been unable to get it to pick up 3G. I have no issues picking up 3G with my Pre+ using the same SIM. The only real difference is that the Pre3 is an unlocked AT&T device, while the Pre+ is an AT&T device with a transplanted radio from my factory unlocked Pre2 I made into a Sprint FrankenPre2. I haven't had any luck turning up an answer searching here or google. I debated whether to put this in the GSM forum or here, but since I pick up 3G with the Pre+, this seems like more of a device problem.
    Do you have the exact same APN settings between the two?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  3.    #3  
    I don't have it with me right now, but I believe so. They are both set to automatic settings. Is there any other way to check them besides enabling manual settings in the phone app and tapping the edit network settings button? (GSM is pretty foreign to me as I only owned CDMA phones prior to these). I've only done that to look at what settings there were to change, but never changed anything. Today I installed the top bar patch that let's you force 3G, but I'm not in an area with re-farmed spectrum right now to test it.
    I'm not sure if APNs are stored on the SIM or not, or if defaults for "Auto" are determined somehow by the OS. Only way I know of to be sure is to find out what your APN info should be, and then plug it in
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    800/900/1800/1900, which pre is able to receive which frequency an what is T-Mobile using?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I live in an area where T-monile has started re-farming their spectrum. I have a T-mobile prepaid SIM in an unlocked AT&T Pre3, and so far I've been unable to get it to pick up 3G. I have no issues picking up 3G with my Pre+ using the same SIM. The only real difference is that the Pre3 is an unlocked AT&T device, while the Pre+ is an AT&T device with a transplanted radio from my factory unlocked Pre2 I made into a Sprint FrankenPre2. I haven't had any luck turning up an answer searching here or google. I debated whether to put this in the GSM forum or here, but since I pick up 3G with the Pre+, this seems like more of a device problem.
    i'm pretty sure you won't be getting T-Mo's 3G without a T-Mo branded phone and their unique 1700Mhz receiving ability.

The refarm is putting HSPA+ (3.5G or 'fauxG') on the 1900 band, which the GSM phones can receive.

When I had my Pre3 testing this T-Mo refarm stuff, and I got the high speed data connected, the icon would show "H+". only once did it show "4G" and that was just for a moment.

When it was out of H+ range, it would drop back down to EDGE and i'm pretty sure the icon was just a big "E". Limited fauxG and no 3G was part of why I bailed on switching away from Sprint and reluctantly sold my Pre3's.

i hope you get better coverage with the H+ than I did.. Watch your data icon flip-flop, and watch your battery life drain fast too.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    i'm pretty sure you won't be getting T-Mo's 3G without a T-Mo branded phone and their unique 1700Mhz receiving ability.

The refarm is putting HSPA+ (3.5G or 'fauxG') on the 1900 band, which the GSM phones can receive.

When I had my Pre3 testing this T-Mo refarm stuff, and I got the high speed data connected, the icon would show "H+". only once did it show "4G" and that was just for a moment.

When it was out of H+ range, it would drop back down to EDGE and i'm pretty sure the icon was just a big "E". Limited fauxG and no 3G was part of why I bailed on switching away from Sprint and reluctantly sold my Pre3's.

i hope you get better coverage with the H+ than I did.. Watch your data icon flip-flop, and watch your battery life drain fast too.
    I know all about the refarming, that's why I mentioned that I live in an area where they already have 3G on 1900, which my Pre+ has no trouble picking up. The Pre3 supports the same frequencies (and probably more) than the Pre+, so it should be able to pick it up too. This isn't my primary phone, so I'm not too worried about extensive coverage -- I just want to be able to take advantage of the faster data when I do use it.
    I recently traveled to Sacramento, CA and Minneapolis, MN. T-Mobile has completed their refarming efforts in both locations. I have an unlocked AT&T Pre3 running on T-Mobile. In both locations, I was able to get 3G speeds.
  9.    #9  
    Cool. Did you have to do anything to get it to work or did it just work? I would think no setup is required since I picked it up on my Pre+.
    Cool. Did you have to do anything to get it to work or did it just work? I would think no setup is required since I picked it up on my Pre+.
    It just worked. I was quite pleasantly surprised when I saw the "3G" icon show up. Although, I did already have "Data Roaming" enabled on my phone, due to some stuff I read months earlier talking about the refarming T-Mobile was going to be doing. They said you needed to have that setting enabled in order to get 3G on your WebOS devices.

I should've turned that off to test it out, now that I think about it ...
  11.    #11  
    Hmm, I'm pretty sure I don't have data roaming enabled on my Pre+. I think it just worked. Will have to check when I get back to the house. Thanks.

If it should indeed just work, I need to get some troubleshooting suggestions. I may go ahead and doctor the Pre3 if none of those settings work.
    Alrighty. Good luck. Let us all know what you figure out.
    I live in an area where they already have 3G on 1900, which my Pre+ has no trouble picking up.
    THAT is very cool if your Pre+ is picking up 3G service on T-Mo. I'm guessing your area now has better 1900 coverage than mine did when I was testing the waters.

Of course, i'm assuming we're talking about the same thing... Are you seeing a 3G icon on your Pre3 too? I never got a "3G" icon, mine showed either "H+" or "E" only. But i was getting 8Mbps DL when i had the H+ connection.

If you could, do a speedtest with your Pre+ and see if you're getting better than standard HSDPA of ~3Mbps. If you're getting 5-7Mbps that's H+ speed and pretty darn good.

In fact, if T-Mo has an unlimited data plan, that WOULD be a good reason to switch to a GSM Pre2 and dump Sprint's limitations of CDMA EVDO which is ~3Mbps also.

Meanwhile, here's a tip
    I just found which seems worth sharing:

I just read about setting your APN to increase H+ speed by AVOIDING the LTE -prioritized APN, which webOS phones will never receive anyway. READ HERE:

TIP : " Slow Lte or no Lte avail"increase data Speeds below" Non Lte" WORKS! - xda-developers

several posts there confirmed this was a worthy modification, so check which APN you've got and maybe this will help too.

and congrats on finding a good webOS-friendly service option for the Pre3. I hope you get to use the heck out of that phone. it really is nice, isn't it?
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 07/06/2013 at 11:01 AM.
    RumoredNow and Remy X like this.
  14.    #14  
    I have only ever seen the 3G icon, never H+. I didn't think the Pre+ supported it.
  15.    #15  
    Looks like the data speed patch did the trick. This morning I turned off airplane mode and it of course picked up the Edge signal right away. I used the data menu to change to 3G+ and the phone when offline, and I thought it was going to stay off line, but 30 seconds or so later, the 3G icon lit up and it had a signal again. I still wonder - if it's HSPA+ (or whatever it is), shouldn't I see the H+ icon? I see TJ said he got H+ though, and it was much faster than the 3G I'm picking up.. Oh well, 3G is better than Edge. Edit: I was thinking just now.. could it be my SIM was not provisioned for "4G" when I bought it for my Pre2? Do GSM networks work that way? The guy programmed it in a phone at the store and then I put it in the Pre2.

I was finally able to download the Net Speed app again (this profile isn't verified, so sometimes I can't download apps -- but the verification emails no longer get sent out from the profile page..), and it tested at 2.6mb/s down and 314kb/s up.

Is there a good website-based test that works reliably on the phones? I have a link bookmarked to the dslreports mobile test, but it defaults to the small file and the largest test file is 1mb. After a couple more tests, I guess those are in line with what I'm seeing in the app too. This last test was only 1mb/s, and that covers the range I saw with the website.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 07/07/2013 at 08:20 AM.
    Looks like the data speed patch did the trick. This morning I turned off airplane mode and it of course picked up the Edge signal right away. I used the data menu to change to 3G+ and the phone when offline, and I thought it was going to stay off line, but 30 seconds or so later, the 3G icon lit up and it had a signal again. I still wonder - if it's HSPA+ (or whatever it is), shouldn't I see the H+ icon? I see TJ said he got H+ though, and it was much faster than the 3G I'm picking up.. Oh well, 3G is better than Edge. Edit: I was thinking just now.. could it be my SIM was not provisioned for "4G" when I bought it for my Pre2? Do GSM networks work that way? The guy programmed it in a phone at the store and then I put it in the Pre2.

I was finally able to download the Net Speed app again (this profile isn't verified, so sometimes I can't download apps -- but the verification emails no longer get sent out from the profile page..), and it tested at 2.6mb/s down and 314kb/s up.

Is there a good website-based test that works reliably on the phones? I have a link bookmarked to the dslreports mobile test, but it defaults to the small file and the largest test file is 1mb. After a couple more tests, I guess those are in line with what I'm seeing in the app too. This last test was only 1mb/s, and that covers the range I saw with the website.

i had a pre-paid t-mo sim, and a pre-paid Straight Talk sim, each I just plugged in and manually set the APN and other settings after searching and reading other user's best results. so you should be able to set the settings you want, regardless of how the sim was originally provisioned. *that said, i've read you can't reset sim's that came with a pre-paid phone, to work in another phone, so it seems limitations can be set*

With the Pre3, i was able to go directly to the speedtest.net site and run their online tester. but it would only run successfully when i was on the H+ service. otherwise it would just freeze up loading.

speedtest.net showed 5-7Mbps when i tested at one area, and consistent 8's in another area near a new T-Mo tower in Smyrna, GA.

So, just info for you to compare your findings. maybe you can find one of the new T-Mo towers and do a drive-by to see if results improve when you're close to it, if you haven't already.

it is possible that your Pre+ doesn't have an H+ icon available to display. but the speed is what matters, and really what demonstrates which service you're on. if you're still in the < 3Mb zone, you're most likely on 3G service. and i'm pretty sure Edge won't test any higher than 1Mbps, if that.

i've rechecked the specs on the data capability for the Pre2 vs. the Pre3 and Veer, and they're reported to be the same, having HSDPA @ 7.2 (vs. Veer 4G @ 14.x) so the GSM Pre2 should be able to get the higher speeds too. theoretically.

keep experimenting; and check the T-Mo forums - and the site howardforums.com seems to be a good cellphone resource as well. you may as well keep trying to get your max speed. there's plenty of people trying to take advantage of T-Mo's 1900 service, with phones other than webOS, so hopefully you'll find some positive results from others.

good luck!