Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    So I won a pre 3 from a contest a while back, and the win has been bitter sweet.

Firstly, the camera doesn't work. It shows a camera icon forever. At first I thought it was all the patches I applied, and the custom kernel, but doctoring back to factory didn't solve it.

Dropbox is no longer accessible. After today, Feeder will no longer work since google reader is shutting down. So many games just don't look right or work right. So many webos apps are cut off at the bottom unnaturally.

It's a bitter sweet victory. Not that I'm ungrateful. This phone is amazing. It has a good quality build, a thinner profile, and a very rich screen. It's not a retina display, but considering it's size vs resolution, it's pretty close to it. It's astoundingly stable and never once has a card just vanished off the screen. It's a proud successor to the Pre 2, and a testimony to what Palm was capable of, in spite of(and not because of) HP. If I could replace that undeserved HP logo on the back panel, with "Palm" - I would. I just don't think Apotheker understood the legacy, love, and commitment that many had for Palm - I knew that from when they started removing all references to Palm when they bought it.

During the contest, I mentioned that if I won I would redo the song, the whole song - and I still intend to. My smartphone is my camera, and since I don't have a working camera, it will be a bit longer until I can record - I can get another 2 year contract phone at the end of July. Since I have this extra time though, I am contemplating what surprises I can add to the video as a good sendoff to Palm.

Do you hear the people sing? Singing the songs of jaded men. It is the music of a people who won't buy HP again...
    do you have any other form of camera app? even after doctoring, if you had such an app beforehand it would just re-download, cant remember if the camera app conflict was touchpad only or applied also to the pre3.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    do you have any other form of camera app? even after doctoring, if you had such an app beforehand it would just re-download, cant remember if the camera app conflict was touchpad only or applied also to the pre3.
    I've never used any other app that used the camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noremacam View Post
    maybe try skype as well, or anything else that uses the camera function.
    Dropbox is broken, yes. But you can buy Dropboxify which works since they fixed the OAuth conversion.

Also, the camera works fine on my Pre 3. So I'm not sure what causes your bug but it certainly isn't webOS' fault. And there is a cloud feeds replacement in the works by Zhepree, a notable webOS developer. Or you can just use feeds the old fashioned way, there are plenty of webOS apps for that.

Apps that are cutoff are also fixable, search the forums for the fix. No problem with games here on my Pre 3.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    a lot of the apps that give a black bar at the bottom can be hacked with a simple bit of html editing. There was an article about it here on webosnation.
    Had problems with the camera as well, maybe this thread is related to the problem: Pre3 not playing music anymore

A patch adding some icons to the camera app made difficulties too.
    My Pre3 camera worked reliably.

You may wish to try Box.com or even Skydrive. There are many cloud storage apps now unlike a few years ago when DropBox first started.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I had three Pre 3's during my time with them; each one of them had little quirks of their own. Which is understandable, since they never quite made it to retail and were killed and sold off before they got all the kinks worked out of them.

Don't get me wrong; they're 99% there, but I sure would have loved to see that device had it made it to the market officially and had gotten the attention and bug fixes/improvements it deserved.
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
    LOL The proper thing to do would have been to work the bugs out before release. My main complaint is the WiFi radio seems kind of weak compared to my Pre2.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 07/01/2013 at 10:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    LOL The proper thing to do would have been to work the bugs out before release. My main complaint is the WiFi radio seems kind of weak compared to my Pre2.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    That was always the WebOS's Palm mistake (even before the HP horrific acquisition), was to release rushed out software of WebOS 2.0 before checking out the quirks and errors with the software that was running on the Palm Pre 3...I could image if the phone was release, I could picture the same launch on Sprint with the original Pre.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Dropbox is broken, yes. But you can buy Dropboxify which works since they fixed the OAuth conversion.

Also, the camera works fine on my Pre 3. So I'm not sure what causes your bug but it certainly isn't webOS' fault. And there is a cloud feeds replacement in the works by Zhepree, a notable webOS developer. Or you can just use feeds the old fashioned way, there are plenty of webOS apps for that.

Apps that are cutoff are also fixable, search the forums for the fix. No problem with games here on my Pre 3.
    I have seen (and installed) dropboxify for the TP, but not yet for the Pre3?
  13. g7
    For the camera, try renaming the DCIM directory to another directory and then reboot.

I have the same problem and it takes out the "media" part of the device too - no ringtones nor music.
    Renaming DCIM will fix that for a while, but after using a bit the camera app the problem will return.

This problem began when I reformatted my /media/internal partition with the ext2 filesystem instead of fat32 which is the default.
    I do not know if this was the cause, though.

Eugenio
    Developer of Italian Fiscal Codes - Codici Fiscali | webOS Quick Actions

Comfortably numb since 1996.

Frankenpre³ EU 16 GB
    i know the media indexer can screw things up if theres a damaged/incomplete file, instead of passing it by, you end up with it doing a never ending loop, this cocks up the video/picture app and maybe if theres a damaged or incomplete camera picture, perhaps that also screws up the camera app?

this indexer issue last happened when ripping a youtube clip and it messed up part way thru, i ended up with a tiny .mp4 file that broke the vid player and stopped the indexing working till i manually deleted the file and rebooted.

i had a similar issue more than a year ago when i added 20k+ of c64 .sid tunes for MoDo music player, the indexer kinda self imploded on that as well.
    Remy X likes this.
    I tried to read and re read through your original post to see if you tried doctoring. And I dont see that you did.

My camera stopped working after I had been dealing with application database full errors for over a month or even two. Then when I doctored and tried to sign back into my palm profile it didn't want to restore my phone. So I created another palm profile and used app Tucker box to reinstall the apps I wanted.

But in the end the camera started working again.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II
    Quote Originally Posted by Noremacam View Post
    Try Front camera from Preware