1.    #1  
    So guys, I finally obtained this exceptionally rare babe via eBay. However, before turning the phone on for it to be usable I'd like to ask you two very important questions:
    1. How do I solve the recent root certificate-expiring problem?
    2. Is there a way to activate the App Catalog on this phone? (I live in Italy)
    Thank you.
    Regarding root certificate, RTA: http://www.webosnation.com/hp-issue-...cloud-services
    Seeing as the update is to replace the certificate that expires on July 23, you'll need to do this before July 23. If you don't, it's still possible, but you're going to have to trick the system by setting your device clock back to before July 23, 2013 and then downloading the update.
    1) It's not July 23rd yet. If you set it up, it should get an update.
    2) Details for after are a bit tricky, as noted above. You will still be able to go through First Use to get started as they have disabled certificate checking for that.

Regarding App Catalog, I believe you need to look up the homebrew app Impostah.
    Activate it, log into the Palm Profile and then in the app catalog click on "What's New"... it should show the "app catalog update", or even notify you of it. Download and install

Once you're done with the certificate update:

To bypass the app catalog georestrictions, use GMMan's "country changer" utility
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Activate it, log into the Palm Profile and then in the app catalog click on "What's New"... it should show the "app catalog update", or even notify you of it. Download and install
    Not in Italy, but I got the pushed update on my Pre 3 even after installing the App Catalog Update version. Hmm.

Country Changer's news to me though. Nice!
  5.    #5  
    Thanks, I thought I couldn't get the update due to the phone being first-activated after its release. So about the Catalog, I should trick it after activating the phone with my Palm account using that anti-georestriction utility and then it should work?