Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 2 Post By Xeron
  • 1 Post By ananimus
  1.    #1  
    Been wanting one since they were announced, but being on Sprint, and unwilling to leave, I had to wait until prices came down enough to spend money on a 2nd phone/toy. Once I finally saw one in person a few months ago, it was not a question of if but when - I had to have one. Thanks to a fellow forum member I am now a member of the Pre3 owners club.

So far no real surprises.. though until I signed onto Facebook in the browser and accepted the expired certificate, I was unable to sign into the Facebook app. Took me a few tries to get touch to share to work with my Touchpad - I don't know if it was just touching the Pre3 to the wrong spot or if it was just being finicky. I just absolutely love the screen on this thing.
    Congrats on the new toy!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/23/2013 at 12:49 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. Loading it with some music and videos now. Trying to decide which Palm Profile I'm going to use on it.

I need to lay out my collection for a photo op. I have one of every Pre model (2 2's) and a Pixi, plus the Touchpads.
    That would be cool! I still need to grab another Veer and a Pixi (almost grabbed on the other day). I love my Pre3. Every time I pick that thing up it feels fantastic... and then I feel sad. LOL
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/23/2013 at 12:49 AM.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    I had the same experience. I always liked the idea of the pre 3, but was still pretty happy with my original pre. Then I saw a pre 3 in a shop and asked if I could have a closer look. As soon as I had it in my hand I just knew that I had to have one, and soon!

a few weeks later I bought one on ebay
    HelloNNNewman and Vistaus like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeron View Post
    I had the same experience. I always liked the idea of the pre 3, but was still pretty happy with my original pre. Then I saw a pre 3 in a shop and asked if I could have a closer look. As soon as I had it in my hand I just knew that I had to have one, and soon!

a few weeks later I bought one on ebay
    I'm totally agreeing with what you saying, I was a happy camper with my old Pre 2 device.......... that was until it my own obsession began(after so many review videos and pictures online) that I just purchased my own unit for a nice price online...just received my package today by Fedex. Total exciting and thrilled with the improvements of the device and its display.....I can't seem comprehend of the stupid reasons of HP cancelling the device, it's feel so nice in the hand and screen size just perfect.

Totally happy with my new Palm Pre 3.....wish there was a back cover with a Palm Logo instead of the stupid HP one...
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  7.    #7  
    That is kind of how I was. I've been very satisfied with my FrankenPre2, but so far this phone blows it away in terms of performance. Email in particular is blazing fast displaying an email after you tap on it - especially large html-formatted emails.

I know it has reduced ram, so I expect a few issues related to that. In fact I had a too many cards error with two or three apps and a large web page open. I haven't installed uberkernel yet, which is supposed to help some with that, as I want to get a baseline feel for the device without it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 06/24/2013 at 04:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    That is kind of how I was. I've been very satisfied with my FrankenPre2, but so far this phone blows it away in terms of performance. Email in particular is blazing fast displaying an email after you tap on it - especially large html-formatted emails.

I know it has reduced ram, so I expect a few issues related to that. In fact I had a too many cards error with two or three apps and a large web page open. I haven't installed uberkernel yet, which is supposed to help some with that, as I want to get a baseline feel for the device without it.

When I bought my Pre3, I was expecting to see TMCs. Have not had one yet, but I dont keep a ton of cards up at any given time. Do not have UK installed, just some patches.

I also just finally got a Touchpad, which I am really stoked about. It dual boots CM9 so my wife can have her Android apps, and I can have my webOS! Mint condition for $130 shipped!

Now I feel like I have reached the pinnacle of webOS hardware ownership....and it is all OLD by today's standard! But I DON'T GIVE A CRAP

Congrats on the Pre3!
    Been wanting one since they were announced, but being on Sprint, and unwilling to leave, I had to wait until prices came down enough to spend money on a 2nd phone/toy. Once I finally saw one in person a few months ago, it was not a question of if but when - I had to have one. Thanks to a fellow forum member I am now a member of the Pre3 owners club.

So far no real surprises.. though until I signed onto Facebook in the browser and accepted the expired certificate, I was unable to sign into the Facebook app. Took me a few tries to get touch to share to work with my Touchpad - I don't know if it was just touching the Pre3 to the wrong spot or if it was just being finicky. I just absolutely love the screen on this thing.
    How did you get a Pre 3 to work on the Sprint network, or did you change carriers?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay69 View Post
    How did you get a Pre 3 to work on the Sprint network, or did you change carriers?
    I didn't. My Sprint line is my primary line so I can keep getting my work email and calendar via EAS. I just moved my T-mobile prepaid sim to the Pre3 and only use it on WiFi unless I'm out and want to use it.

I didn't. My Sprint line is my primary line so I can keep getting my work email and calendar via EAS. I just moved my T-mobile prepaid sim to the Pre3 and only use it on WiFi unless I'm out and want to use it.

I am heart broken even more now!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay69 View Post
    I am heart broken even more now!
    I assume you mean because you found out you can't get a Pre3 to work on Sprint?

congrats! i hope you have a great time with it.

when i had the same set-up you described (primary Sprint, pre-paid T-Mo) on the weekends i'd set my Sprint to call no answer/call forward (*28 i think) and turn it off. Then I could just carry the Pre3, and eliminating the need to distribute the T-Mo #.

it really is a sweet little piece of hardware. not too big, still nice n' round natural shape; the image quality; the keyboard soft response... ENJOY!
  14.    #14  
    Did you get charged extra for call forwarding? I've thought about doing that too.

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 06/24/2013 at 04:12 PM.
    Did you get charged extra for call forwarding? I've thought about doing that too.

you have to do it "the right way" to avoid the charges for CF.

here's one thread i found explaining it, and i'm sure there's others.

Sprint Community: Forward from cell to home phone online?

*28 (on) - *38 (off) is call fwd - no answer/busy and is the free one i've used.

the *7x's I believe are the ones they'll charge you for. research that a little more if necessary.

Yeah, there was a huge bump when I went to Pre 3 also. Not sure if it's just because it's a fresh install though. I could swear my FrankenPre2 was super speedy when I first loaded it up too.

And Uberkernel does help avoid TMC. Eventually I started getting that every few days, just web browsing. However Uberkernel just hides the fact that it's time for a reboot. Since it instead goes to swap, the phone can slow to a crawl when it's due.

At least that lets you finish what you're doing before giving the thing a restart though. Still, kind of a surprise to me. Never had a single TMC on my Pre 2. The rest of the pros outweigh that, though, especially the extra pixels.
    jccjmml7 likes this.
    ^I actually uninstalled UK, found that the phone was behaving more erratically with it. Maybe I should have played with the Govnah settings a bit more....
    Quote Originally Posted by jccjmml7 View Post
    ^I actually uninstalled UK, found that the phone was behaving more erratically with it. Maybe I should have played with the Govnah settings a bit more....
    FWIW, I just run mine with whatever the stock UK is (no Govnah).