Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By hanksimon
  1.    #1  
    l can use my new Verizon Pre3 on Pageplus, but no bars register, and my last phone call to the Verizon HelpDesk dropped (irony). Although I can make calls, I've never had good reception, so I burn through the battery very quickly as it searches for signal.

I believe I have good tower coverage, but I've tried the phone in different places. I did doctor the phone to upgrade to 2.2.4 . I have not spoken with PagePlus or Verizon yet to 'debug' the phone, but I was tempted to spend $250 to buy a network extender from Verizon... However, now I think I have to set some parameter on the phone, so that I can take advantage of good coverage ????

I really don't know what I'm doing, so I'm spending too much time flailing around to fix this phone...

Any opinions, suggestions, actions are appreciated.
    How does your Pre3 compare to other Verizon phones in the same area?

We'll have to try and figure out if it's a hardware, software or tower problem...
  3.    #3  
    That's why I came here :-). I'd assumed poor coverage, but the coverage in my 76017 zipcode is fairly dense, with 2 major towers within a mile or two, line of sight, as demonstrated by my neighbor's 4 - 5 bars on his Verizon (Motorola?) phone. I was going to buy a $200 Network Extender from the big Verizon store about 3 miles away, but my neighbor showed me his phone and reception, saying I should get a new phone, instead.

It may be possible that there is a hardware problem (antenna issue?) - Is there a way to get a brand new, out of the box, Pre3 repaired?

However, I more suspect that it's some software issue or some setting, or SIM issue, that I need to do. Although I can do a little technical stuff, this is my first cell phone, and I'm an absolute newbie. (Yes, when I pulled the keyboard out, I thunk it was a coffee cup holder ;-) )

1. When the phone arrived, I unboxed it, charged it, Doctored it, and called PagePlus to activate it.
    2. Then I logged into my WebOS account (shared with my Touchpad), loaded contacts, loaded Preware.

What details do you need to help?. Assume I am a novice, who doesn't know his right hand from his left.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by hanksimon View Post
    That's why I came here :-). I'd assumed poor coverage, but the coverage in my 76017 zipcode is fairly dense, with 2 major towers within a mile or two, line of sight, as demonstrated by my neighbor's 4 - 5 bars on his Verizon (Motorola?) phone. I was going to buy a $200 Network Extender from the big Verizon store about 3 miles away, but my neighbor showed me his phone and reception, saying I should get a new phone, instead.

It may be possible that there is a hardware problem (antenna issue?) - Is there a way to get a brand new, out of the box, Pre3 repaired?

However, I more suspect that it's some software issue or some setting, or SIM issue, that I need to do. Although I can do a little technical stuff, this is my first cell phone, and I'm an absolute newbie. (Yes, when I pulled the keyboard out, I thunk it was a coffee cup holder ;-) )

1. When the phone arrived, I unboxed it, charged it, Doctored it, and called PagePlus to activate it.
    2. Then I logged into my WebOS account (shared with my Touchpad), loaded contacts, loaded Preware.

What details do you need to help?. Assume I am a novice, who doesn't know his right hand from his left.

Thanks!
    Try having a look at the phone preferences: DIaler>Preferences & Accounts. Scroll all the way down to "Network" and have a look at the settings. I use "Carrier Only" for the Voice Network and, under World Phone, I use CDMA Mode. If I'm not mistaken, the default is 'World Mode" and I had some problems with that. Good luck!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    Try having a look at the phone preferences: DIaler>Preferences & Accounts. Scroll all the way down to "Network" and have a look at the settings. I use "Carrier Only" for the Voice Network and, under World Phone, I use CDMA Mode. If I'm not mistaken, the default is 'World Mode" and I had some problems with that. Good luck!
    Thanks! That helped. My GPS wasn't working either, and I got a reading after changes the settings. But I still only see a rare dot on one bar for reception. I can make calls but l'm concerned they'll get dropped.

I appreciate the suggestions.
    This reply does not directly address the issue for this thread but it does somewhat relate to connectivity for the Pre3 when in World Mode (GSM). One of the reasons I originally bought the Verizon version of the Pre3 was because it had the World Phone feature; i.e., it was supposed to work in the UK with GSM. I often travel to the UK for vacations. Last year I took my VZW Pre3 to London and found that it worked OK in London, particularly around Heathrow. However, when I went out to the countryside I found that it had a very difficult time getting any signal at all. My wife has a Verizon iPhone 4 and it worked well with GSM wherever we went. I tried working with Verizon/Vodafone but we could not make it work. My conclusion about this is that the GSM settings in the Pre3 needed to be tuned better for the GSM signals in the UK, but HP never got around to doing that before they cancelled the product.

I hope this helps anyone trying to get the U.S. Verizon model Pre3 to work in the UK; i.e., lower your expectations.
    Last edited by jrwolff; 06/24/2013 at 05:23 AM.
    Hmm. On a full GSM device now. Can you do a PRL update on the VZW Pre 3? (Anyone else can comment?
    Hmm.. A PRL update and then reprovisioning... Sounds like a good idea...

The latter helped increase bettery life on my mother's VZW Pre+
  9.    #9  
    What's a PRL update, an reprovisioning? ...On PagePlus (VZW), I believe that the Pre3 is CDMA without SIM, even though I have a Verizon SIM Card installed?

Update:
    I tried *228 option 2 with Verizon for a PRL, then I pulled the SIM for about 10 min for reprovisioning. No change.

Next step is to call Page Plus and ask for a signal refresh...
    Last edited by hanksimon; 06/23/2013 at 07:51 PM.
    This is for activating a new webos device, though it seems yours is activated already:

18.* ...open the dialer, enter *22890 and then tap the Green Phone Icon you see at the bottom of your screen.***

19.* This will cause your phone to call and you will hear "Welcome to Over the Air Programming, please hold while we program your phone."* You will hear some music.* It should then say "Your phone has been programmed successfully."

..., enter any local number with the full area code & phone number.** Tap the Green Phone Icon again and it should say "Connecting..." and the call should go through.
    Taken from a laundry explanation on the Pixi Plus for PPC: Kitty's Palm Pixi Plus Information

Linked via this thread: HP Pre 3 Verizion - Page 2
  11.    #11  
    I did the *228, and it seemed to program as indicated. I can always make calls, but I'm thinking about my calls dropping, and buying a Network Extender. My concern is whether my problem is the phone or the signal...
  12.    #12  
    Well, the good news is that my phone works fine. The bad news is that I'm in a dead zone that is known by Verizon... I went to a PagePlus dealer and got 3 bars immediately. Then I went down the street to the Verizon store and got 5 bars. When I told him my zipcode, he showed me exactly where I live, and said that Verizon has been planning a new tower for the past 4 years. He gave me a $50 discount on the Network Extender, overnighted for free, and told me to bring it back within 2 weeks if my reception doesn't improve... Thanks for the suggestions...
    Grabber5.0 and ananimus like this.