Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dkirker
    Global Posts
    1 Global Posts
    Recently my Pre3 keyboard started to act up - I often get 2 letters showing up when I press a key. Does anyone know if this is something that can be corrected by cleaning, or is my keyboard wearing out? I don't imagine it is easy to find parts for this. . .

Thanks!
    I have noticed this too. I have cleaned around my keyboard. (And opened it and cleaned under.)

I suspect that this isn't hardware, but software. I get a strong feeling that hidd or LunaSysMgr (hidd is the software that takes hardware events and converts them to software events, and LunaSysMgr is the UI component that will act on them) is failing to remove a queued event in an appropriate amount of time, and so the event occurs twice.

I notice this with tapping, as well. I'll tap on the screen, nothing happens, but I tap somewhere else, and then the first tap registers followed by the second tap... I suspect that there is some sort of system contention happening that creates a lag.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Remy X likes this.
    @dkirker,

Most definitely. I remember reading on here, about three years ago when it was still Pre|Central, a bunch of people complaining that after an OTA update was pushed through, everyone's keyboard performance deteriorated. I've also noticed that if i have five or more cards open on my Pre+, i get the usual keyboard trouble, but if i only have Memos open on a freshly rebooted phone, the keyboard input is just about flawless...

So my advice to the OP is to reboot daily and only run about three or four cards at a time...
    Yeah, there was definitely an issue with the Verizon Pre+. I'll have to ask and see what the actual resolution was.
    Did you know:

Quote Originally Posted by favonius View Post
    Recently my Pre3 keyboard started to act up - I often get 2 letters showing up when I press a key. Does anyone know if this is something that can be corrected by cleaning, or is my keyboard wearing out? I don't imagine it is easy to find parts for this. . .

Thanks!
    me2 & I suspect it is some change in the time the key is depressed ...could it be something in the update measuring that parameter?
    with the pre+ it was a hardware issue. all of the verizon ones had it to some degree, and it was cured with the release of the pre2. IIRC, there was some substance (either grease or glue), which if you disassembled the keyboard, you could then clean out. The disassembly involved pulling apart glued pieces, and I certainly never wanted to try it. I could be wrong, but I doubt it is a software issue on your Pre3... Who exactly is pushing software to you Pre3 at this date? If it was an issue, a doctor would probably fix it...
    Quote Originally Posted by mtiberio View Post
    with the pre+ it was a hardware issue. all of the verizon ones had it to some degree, and it was cured with the release of the pre2. IIRC, there was some substance (either grease or glue), which if you disassembled the keyboard, you could then clean out. The disassembly involved pulling apart glued pieces, and I certainly never wanted to try it. I could be wrong, but I doubt it is a software issue on your Pre3... Who exactly is pushing software to you Pre3 at this date? If it was an issue, a doctor would probably fix it...
    Not only hardware, because a reboot fixes it every time. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $it$'$s$ $the$ $same$ $issue$ $that$ $also$ $manifests$ $itself$ $as$ $the$ $backlog$ $of$ $Luna$ $UI$ $behaviors$ $on$ $the$ $1$.$4$... $where$ $the$ $system$ $menu$ $and$ $icons$ &$quot$;$freeze$&$quot$; $and$ $don$'$t$ $show$ $any$ $change$ $until$ $you$ $exit$ $a$ $resource$-$intensive$ $app$, $then$ $you$'$d$ $see$ $the$ $signal$ $strength$ $bars$ $twiddling$ $at$ $a$ $high$ $rate$ $and$ $the$ $battery$ $percentage$ $dropping$ $fast$ $if$ $you$ $open$ $the$ $menu$... $also$, $the$ &$quot$;$missing$ $alarm$ $clock$&$quot$; $issue$ $is$ $related$ $as$ $well$...

P.S. i have the VZW Pre+
    My Pre3 has also started showing this behaviour recently!

It's clearly a conspiracy
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    I can add another Pre3 to the list of producing double characters with one press of the button.
    I find it interesting that the problem appears at a similar time on several devices, without any updates recently...
    Both the Pre3s I had on att did that all the time and rebooting it didn't change anything. Very common and a well known issue. Add to that having to sometimes press a key twice when starting things like universal search and you really have to pay attention to the keyboard actually doing what you want it to.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II
    My ATT Pre3 does this somewhat often as well. My unlocked Pre2 has never done it, but my Verizon one does it frequently. Never had it happen on my Sprint Pixi, Sprint Pre or ATT Pre+. Nice smattering of devices there.
    This happens on my Pre3 and my work BB, I thought it was my fingers getting older and stopping working.
    Haha! Your work BlackBerry? :P
    Did you know:

Damn, now my pre3 is not recognising that the slider is open. No backlight, no auto-unlock.
    Any ideas where I should look if I decide to disassemble the phone?
    HP Pre 3 (UK)