Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Can't stand android on the S3, it's not intuitive at all and so cumbersome to type on.

I'm on Sprint, is Verizon better than AT&T or vice versa? Going to look for a Pre3 but need to know which carrier would be better. I need texting, hotspot, gps, unlimited data all included like my Sprint FrankenPre2.
    Global Posts
    9,717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khazoury View Post
    Can't stand android on the S3, it's not intuitive at all and so cumbersome to type on.

I'm on Sprint, is Verizon better than AT&T or vice versa? Going to look for a Pre3 but need to know which carrier would be better. I need texting, hotspot, gps, unlimited data all included like my Sprint FrankenPre2.
    Don't discount Tmobile. Depending on where you live, a GSM Pre3 could work well on Tmobiles faster speeds and you don't have to be on contract. I believe unlimited everything is $60 or $70. That's what I did with my Z10 and it is a great deal.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Verizon$ $has$ $the$ $highest$ $quality$ $network$, $and$ $if$ $you$ $prefer$ $to$ $go$ $pre$-$paid$, $PagePlus$ $is$ $a$ $more$ $economical$ $option$, $running$ $off$ $of$ $Verizon$'$s$ $network$.

What's more, is that Verizon Pre3 is a "world phone", meaning that you could take it to AT&T from Verizon and back, without any issue.

The only thing i don't know is how well the GPS performs on Verizon, because on VZW Pre2, its abysmal.

To compare networks, VZW has the best maintained infrastructure, "unlimited" data is capped at 5GB and then you get the overage charges. AT&T is the second best, the best of GSM networks, T-Mobile is more for prepaid, and if you go over the data cap, you get knocked down to 2G. Sprint, you already know, provides dog-slow but truly unlimited 3G, but that's irrelevant here, since they won't take Verizon's CDMA phones...
    netwrkr9 likes this.

Since I'm soon switching to a Pre 3, I'm going to suggest that you go with a GSM carrier instead of Verizon. With the U.S cell carrier big red(Verizon) you won't be able to have unlimited data anymore. Mainly cause Verizon stopped offering unlimited data to new customers that signs a new service with them. But you have a choice of choosing Page Plus cellular if you buy the CDMA version of the Pre 3 which is cheaper than verizon, but their data allowance stinks cause page plus only offers 500MB of data which is very little if you ask me.

Best choice is the Pre 3 GSM network that allows you to jump or hop into T-mobile which that carrier offers unlimited data plans.
    Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 06/18/2013 at 08:49 PM.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    Since I'm soon switching to a Pre 3, I'm going to suggest that you go with a GSM carrier instead of Verizon. With the U.S cell carrier big red(Verizon) you won't be able to have unlimited data anymore. Mainly cause Verizon stopped offering unlimited data to new customers that signs a new service with them. But you have a choice of choosing Page Plus cellular if you buy the CDMA version of the Pre t which is cheaper than verizon, but their data allowance stinks cause page plus only offers 500MB of data which is very little if you ask me.

Best choice is the Pre 3 GSM network that allows you to jump or hop into T-mobile which that carrier offers unlimited data plans.
    What do you mean? Just a marketing gimmick most likely.

I'm with Verizon since the summer of '05 and when i got my Pre+ in April '10, their "unlimited" has always been 5GB. I'm grandfathered in to whatever it is, but i doubt they have reduced people's data allowance to less than 5GB, or that they cut off your service... i'm inclined to think that it's the same old 5GB+overage charges, just under a new name...
    Last edited by Remy X; 06/18/2013 at 09:26 PM.
    from what I understand, a Verizon pre3 doesn't work very well on GSM. They say the signal Is terrible so I wouldn't advise getting one for use as a GSM phone.

Also GSM pre3s are more plentiful. GSM gives you the option of trying both tmo and att (and various "virtual" resellers of both) I just think its the way to go if you want to go pre paid.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    What do you mean? Just a marketing gimmick most likely.

I'm with Verizon since the summer of '05 and when i got my Pre+ in April '10, their "unlimited" has always been 5GB. I'm grandfathered in to whatever it is, but i doubt they have reduced people's data allowance to less than 5GB, or that they cut off your service... i'm inclined to think that it's the same old 5GB+overage charges, just under a new name...

Oh, and to reiterate, the Verizon Pre3 supports both CDMA and GSM networks, so you get complete freedom to jump ship if you don't like something
    What you mean by marketing gimmick? I'm not catching up with what you trying to say......

Remy X, to update you on the service company of Verizon....the company has cancelled their unlimited data services to new people who joins or signs up with a new service contract. Now, like you had mentioned that you have been with Verizon for years(just like me too), they have allowed people to be grandfathered into staying with unlimited data for their duration of their services with them. But they don't have anymore data that is unlimited, they only offers "Share everything" data plans which comes out nickel and diming you more with hidden fees while it offers you nothing much more than giving away more money to Verizon.

And to clarify something Remy X, while the Palm pre 3 pretends to be global phone it truly isn't as many people think so.....that why when you search online there is two versions of the Pre 3 one for AT&T and another for the Verizon network. You see, not all carriers will be compatible. However, while the CDMA might support GSM the bands aren't compatible with the U.S carrier only bands from European carriers like Vodafone.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    What you mean by marketing gimmick? I'm not catching up with what you trying to say......

Remy X, to update you on the service company of Verizon....the company has cancelled their unlimited data services to new people who joins or signs up with a new service contract. Now, like you had mentioned that you have been with Verizon for years(just like me too), they have allowed people to be grandfathered into staying with unlimited data for their duration of their services with them. But they don't have anymore data that is unlimited, they only offers "Share everything" data plans which comes out nickel and diming you more with hidden fees while it offers you nothing much more than giving away more money to Verizon.

And to clarify something Remy X, while the Palm pre 3 pretends to be global phone it truly isn't as many people think so.....that why when you search online there is two versions of the Pre 3 one for AT&T and another for the Verizon network. You see, not all carriers will be compatible. However, while the CDMA might support GSM the bands aren't compatible with the U.S carrier only bands from European carriers like Vodafone.

Oh i see about the different bands. Yeah, i guess it's a choice between one and the other. I've just talked with a few people who run the VZW Pre3 on GSM, and not kept in mind that they were all in europe. Thanks for making me put the two and to together

But i don't exactly see what the change is regarding data plans, i might as well have to look it up. Data was never really unlimited to begin with, so what you're saying is that the same data is now more expensive, right?

It used to be a flat rate for 5GB and then overage fees, so do they now have a tiered structure based on how much you use, like 1GB, 2GB, and so on? Sorry.
    ...Best choice is the Pre 3 GSM network that allows you to jump or hop into T-mobile which that carrier offers unlimited data plans.
    GSM Pre 3 lacks the 1700 MHz band needed in most of the country to get H+ data speed on T-Mobile. Unless the Pre 3 owner is in a refarmed area they will only get EDGE speed on the 1900 MHz band that Pre 3 has. Here's the unofficial map of the refarmed areas where T-Mobile has H+ on 1900, move outside those areas and EDGE is all you get: Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II)

As for T-Mobile having unlimited data, they do. The new Uncarrier Plan is no contract. First phone is $50, second phone is $30 and each phone after that is $10 a month. That gives 500 MB per line high speed with throttling after the cap.

Each line can pay an optional $10 per month to add 2 GB high speed for a total of 2.5 GB before throttling.

Each line can pay an optional $20 per month to get Unlimited high speed data with no throttling for that line + 500 MB of sanctioned high speed tethering. Tethering (only) gets throttled after that cap, but the phone still gets unlimited high speed data.

So 1 phone @ $50 + Unlimited high speed data with no throttle @ $20 = $70 a month.
    Add a second phone with the same for $50 a month.
    Add a third or fourth phone with the same for $30 a month each... I believe 4 is the limit for lines on an Un Plan.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Remy X likes this.

i went thru this last year. search my threads and you'll hear my disappointing journey thru various carriers before rebuilding my FrankenPre2 and staying with Sprint.

T-Mo is a joke unless you have a T-Mo phone. They just don't have the coverage to maintain H+ on 1900 yet. I doubt they ever will, because their goal now is to get LTE out on the 1700. H+ is already outdated.

The VZN Pre3 is 3G only, not H+ or LTE, so no point in going there from Sprint, and giving up the unlimited data. You may have somewhat better coverage, but I doubt improved enough to justify the added expense and the data cap.

The GSM Pre3 is best suited for an ATT mvno like StraightTalk. There's a few of them, and ya never know when they'll change up their offerings, so web search it a bit. I know there's a RedPocket, or redrocket, or something like that. There's a few. But I tried STalk and had good connectivity with the GSM Pre3 i had for a while, which i tested on T-Mo and STalk in ATL metro.

But after a few mos. of putzing around with that, i realized that the best deal was to stay on Sprint, retire my old Pre- #7, and rebuild the Franken that I dropped and cracked a year earlier.

These days, i have a hard film screen protector, and the front half of a matte black hard cover to protect the edges around the Gorilla Glass. I left off the back half so it's not too fat and I can change batteries quickly. I just redoctored to 2.1.0 and for the last few days, the phone has been performing well; no uberkernels, no nothing but killing the Update Daemon to prevent 2.2.4 OTA update, and Preware to get Freetether going again.

Moving from the Pre3 back to Pre-, i gained a refreshed appreciation for the amount of spare batteries and chargers I have, and the vast supply of donor parts on fleabay if i needed any. that Pre3 is slick. really nice in your hand.

The only thing I can think of better than FrankenPre2 on Sprint is if I could get a Pre3 on Sprint. But if you really want a Pre3, STalk is prob your best bet unless you want to throw $$ at ATT.

happy shopping!
    Remy X likes this.
    I am in a similar situation, in that I am trying to find out if a Veer/Pre3 would work above EDGE speeds on T-Mo in my area. But as was mentioned, never discount Magenta completely. They offer some of the best prepaid plans in the business, and I have always been fond of their customer service as well. Just some thoughts.
    I'm stuck in Afghanistan. I have a Sprint Motorola Photon that I put an MTN sim card in. This phone sucks in GSM mode. It does recognize all of the network messages sent by the carrier. It doesn't retain certain settings so I have to re-enter them every other day. Will a GSM Pre 2 or 3 work better for me?

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I was dead set on getting a Pre3 and jumping to Verizon when my the contract on my wife's phone finally expired. My Franken Pre was just never all that. However, my wife decided to replace her broken phone with a shiny new GS3 so we were stuck again. I too then switched to the GS3. Like you, I hate trying to type on it. Typing on the GS3 is overly cumbersome when compared to the Pre.

So...l have a question back to the community in hopes that it may provide help to your question as well. Has anybody tried to Frankpre a 3? I mean, does it have to be a Pre radio, or can I find an Android that has a similar radio layout to the Pre 3 and use that?

Also, what is the reasoning that a Pre3 from Verizon could not work on Sprint? Was it that it ran at the lower spectrum? If so, then when Sprint flips the switch this summer to free up the lower spectrum from the Nextel service over to their Sprint CDMA and LTE service could I now use a CDMA Verizon Pre3 on Sprint? Or is it only because the Verizon Pre3s are locked whereas there are numerous unlocked GSM Pre3s on the market?
    Quote Originally Posted by metro72 View Post
    I was dead set on getting a Pre3 and jumping to Verizon when my the contract on my wife's phone finally expired. My Franken Pre was just never all that. However, my wife decided to replace her broken phone with a shiny new GS3 so we were stuck again. I too then switched to the GS3. Like you, I hate trying to type on it. Typing on the GS3 is overly cumbersome when compared to the Pre.

So...l have a question back to the community in hopes that it may provide help to your question as well. Has anybody tried to Frankpre a 3? I mean, does it have to be a Pre radio, or can I find an Android that has a similar radio layout to the Pre 3 and use that?

Also, what is the reasoning that a Pre3 from Verizon could not work on Sprint? Was it that it ran at the lower spectrum? If so, then when Sprint flips the switch this summer to free up the lower spectrum from the Nextel service over to their Sprint CDMA and LTE service could I now use a CDMA Verizon Pre3 on Sprint? Or is it only because the Verizon Pre3s are locked whereas there are numerous unlocked GSM Pre3s on the market?

I'd say it's too much hassle designing and manufacturing a comm board to make it possible to Franken a Pre3, but someone in the industry would probably know how a phone could be made to spoof another existing comm board with its unique identifiers... i'm inclined to think that some of those identifiers are a permanent part of the chip, but some chips on the market may in fact be reprogrammable...

As for the Sprint/Verizon incompatibility, i've looked up some information on some particular flip phones almost five years ago, and they shared the same frequency, but it all came down to the fact that Verizon and Sprint have some kind of a legal agreement about not activating each-other's CDMA phones, or those of other CDMA carriers from say, Israel or South Korea.... the only purpose is to make people buy more phones. GSM carriers are able to lock the phones they sell, but from what i understood, since CDMA is a fully proprietary standard, the issue has been approached from the angle of rules/regulations/agreements rather than that of technology... essentially, it's not because it's not doable, but "because i said so"... a "people" problem
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I'm stuck in Afghanistan. I have a Sprint Motorola Photon that I put an MTN sim card in. This phone sucks in GSM mode. It does recognize all of the network messages sent by the carrier. It doesn't retain certain settings so I have to re-enter them every other day. Will a GSM Pre 2 or 3 work better for me?

unless you're Afghani, i'm sorry to hear you're in Afghanistan. I hope you get out soon.

unfortunately, Sprint + GSM "does not compute". In the US, Sprint is CDMA and their phones don't have SIM cards here. I don't know what kind of service Sprint offers internationally, but it seems you're saying they offer GSM service, which i'm pretty sure is the standard internationally and that may explain why they have it there.

with GSM, its also critical which band (Mhz) your carrier uses and the phone can receive. Example: in the US, T-Mobile has proprietary access to the 1700Mhz band, so only T-Mobile branded phones bother to include a receiver for that band, and T-Mo puts their best service on that band to maintain the exclusivity which allows them to profit from handset sales.

i can't imagine why you'd need to reprovision a phone so often. why would a phone "lose" the required settings? it should be saved to the SIM. i can't imagine why a webOS phone would behave differently from the Motorola you have, if they're receiving the carrier on the same band....unless you have a defective unit of course. then yeah, a non-broken phone would work better than a broken one. (obviously)

you may find more info on a Sprint forum in a nearby country, so search for something like that. particularly if you don't have access to carrier service center there to diagnose your phone and determine if you only need a new SIM card or a reflashing of the device.

good luck, and take care of yourself over there.
    Tj
    Quote Originally Posted by onry_fng View Post
    I am in a similar situation, in that I am trying to find out if a Veer/Pre3 would work above EDGE speeds on T-Mo in my area. But as was mentioned, never discount Magenta completely. They offer some of the best prepaid plans in the business, and I have always been fond of their customer service as well. Just some thoughts.
    when i was test driving my Pre3 on T-Mo, i had a $30 prepaid plan with 100 mins and 5gig data. that's a lot of data for such a low price and i really wanted to stick with it. but the coverage just wasn't there. in Atlanta, it's very typical to travel around the entire metro area, which has a LOT of sprawl. so being that i didn't just stay in one localized area, i couldn't just "stay near the tower". example: they put a new tower in Smyrna, a suburb northwest of Atlanta. the H+ there was fantastic, and speedtest.net confirmed it. but drive out of that town, and you drop to EDGE until you get close to another new/reconfig'd tower. i was on EDGE far more frequently than H+, including at home, and that was the real deal breaker. if i couldn't even get faux-G at home, why bother?

you really have to analyze your coverage locally. that "unofficial map" cited above is a fair reference. but hit up the local T-Mo stores too. In Atlanta, the stores that WERE in the transmitting range of the refarm'd towers, actually had signage encouraging bringing your iPhone over and porting your number. but that signage WAS NOT in every store. it was NOT in the stores outside of the new broadcast areas. so basically, they could DEMONSTRATE to people in SOME stores "how great it is!" Yeah, until you drive 5 mins away. VERY sneaky.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    . Here's the unofficial map of the refarmed areas where T-Mobile has H+ on 1900, move outside those areas and EDGE is all you get: Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II)
    i happened to discover by chance, that the map cited above, MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE if you attempt to go to the website on ATT UVERSE internet service.

ATT would be the biggest loser if people migrated their iPhone to T-Mo on the 1900 band.

one day i found i couldn't log into the map website. i thought maybe the host stopped hosting it. NOPE. it was accessible when i went to the URL on a friend's computer, who had Comcast internet service. I couldn't reach it on ATT Uverse internet. i found a forum post where someone else had researched it and found that an ATT switch was mysteriously "offline", eliminating the ability to reach the site. "no, we didn't block it. that would be unethical. something is just broken but we don't have time to fix it right now". RIIIGHT. sneaky.

this was a while ago, so it may be resolved by now. but i dumped uVerse so i can't check and report.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    unless you're Afghani, i'm sorry to hear you're in Afghanistan. I hope you get out soon.

unfortunately, Sprint + GSM "does not compute". In the US, Sprint is CDMA and their phones don't have SIM cards here. I don't know what kind of service Sprint offers internationally, but it seems you're saying they offer GSM service, which i'm pretty sure is the standard internationally and that may explain why they have it there.
    Moto Photon is a CDMA/GSM phone...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Moto Photon is a CDMA/GSM phone...

Best Regards...
    Thanks! Guess TJ did not know that some phones are multi-band. The Photon has an unlocked SIM card slot which allows me to put a SIM from any carrier into it (outside of the United States). This is the only reason I have it.

with GSM, its also critical which band (Mhz) your carrier uses and the phone can receive. Example: in the US, T-Mobile has proprietary access to the 1700Mhz band, so only T-Mobile branded phones bother to include a receiver for that band, and T-Mo puts their best service on that band to maintain the exclusivity which allows them to profit from handset sales.

i can't imagine why you'd need to reprovision a phone so often. why would a phone "lose" the required settings? it should be saved to the SIM. i can't imagine why a webOS phone would behave differently from the Motorola you have, if they're receiving the carrier on the same band....unless you have a defective unit of course. then yeah, a non-broken phone would work better than a broken one. (obviously)

you may find more info on a Sprint forum in a nearby country, so search for something like that. particularly if you don't have access to carrier service center there to diagnose your phone and determine if you only need a new SIM card or a reflashing of the device.

good luck, and take care of yourself over there.
    Tj
    TJ, my phone, not Sprint, is a multi-band phone. Commonly known as a "world phone". It works on both CDMA and GSM. When I am in the States, it uses Sprint's CDMA network. When I am outside of the States I can use a SIM card from a local carrier on their GSM network. The network settings are saved to the SIM card. However, other settings are not and are part of the phone's OS. These settings include the messages that tell me I'm about to use data and send text messages over a GSM network. No matter how many times I check the "Don't ask me again" option, I still get asked. The phone also can't understand common network messages like the one that tells me how many minutes I've used or have left. The message pops up after a phone call, but it's blank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast