Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    Well people, I'm gonna replace my Pre 2. I realized I want a more powerful device, so now I cannot decide: Pre 3 or Samsung Galaxy S2? Here in Italy they cost respectively around 150 and 230 euros. We all know webOS is "dead", while Android will go on with further developments for a long time. I love webOS, but I'm scared by this situation. Which one should I buy? Please give me valid reasons, I don't need useless comments like "Just buy the Galaxy, it's better" or "webOS forever!!!".
    Last edited by WebOSLloyd; 06/19/2013 at 04:37 AM.
    You could begin by comparing hardware. I assume the S2 is better, but how important are those features to you? You might decide that the Pre3 is good enough for your needs (and is cheaper).

Next, decide on the OS features and your subjective experience of each. From your post, I'd guess webOS has the edge here.

Then judge the chances of software upgrades on Android, vs the changes you can make with the homebrew in Preware. It might actually be the case that an update for the S2 never comes, while small improvements for the Pre3 continue to arrive. But an Android OS upgrade (or cyanogen mod-type version) might change the comparison.

Then of course, there are app numbers & the usefulness of what you can get. It seems the webOS catalogue is good for a long time now - or until the last handset is turned off. (hmmmm...)

Logic might suggest Android is the answer, but in terms of the specific hardware and software you mention, maybe it's not so clear.

Summary: Decide what you need. Compare Hardware, OS, Upgrade potential, Apps, Price. Make your choice.

Good luck!
    Remy X and vasekvi like this.
    This completely depends on YOUR needs. Both devices have the same resolution of screen though some people don't like AMOLED which the s2 has. The CPU is a dual core in the s2, single in the pre3, but the gpu in the s2 is the mail 400 so its not exactly a speed demon, probably better performance 3d wise from the pre3. I read there is jelly bean 4.1 Available (didn't see a 4.2 variant for s2). However, nearly all apps will work on 4.1 so you would have a much larger app catalog with the s2. Interface is subjective I don't care for Android's UI, some people like it. If you have all the apps you need from webOS and like the interface, then by all means get a pre3, it's a nice upgrade from a pre2. However, if you need xyz newest app, your not gonna get that with webOS. For me I use a pre3 everyday and love it, but I recognize some people need the apps...
    Remy X likes this.
    Seeing as how you have been a webOS user, it really depends on your Android experience (if any).

Going straight from webOS to Android (for a daily driver phone) is total system shock, at least it was for me.
    Thats why I am back.....and will stay until webOS hardware is literally unusable.

As previously stated, the Pre3 is a worthy upgrade from the Pre2. The form factor feels great and webOS still has enough of a pulse for a bit longer ride.

I have toyed with an S2, and all things considered I would take the Pre3 over that in a heartbeat.
    metro72 likes this.
    I'm going to tell you exactly what to do. *Do not buy a Pre 3. *Why, because of the accessories. *Spare batteries, cases, etc., are in limited choice and supply for the Pr3. *It's not just about the hardware & software. *Now, if your reaction to my statement was, "He's right! *What was I thinking?" *Buy and enjoy that S2. *But if your reaction was, "well, I guess he's right." *Stop fooling yourself and get the Pre3. *Love trumps logic.
    Well, I have some rituals:

=> First, I choose the SO
    => Second, I choose the format ("qwerty or not qwerty... that´s the question")
    => Third, I choose the screen (I like Amoled! )
    => Fourth, I choose the brand
    => Fifth, I'll gonna broke my credit card to buy nothing, because I have no more money! :P

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    If the choice was between S2 and pre3, I would personally say go with the pre3.

As others have stated, it depends on what your phone needs to do for you. If you need a good physical keyboard and a very good display even in direct sunlight. Go with the pre3. If you want a great workhorse of a phone that does pretty much everything natively very well with a tap flick or swipe, get the pre3. Webos is the fastest and most efficient way to get to what you need on your phone. Universal search is still the best. Especially when looking for a contact in a large database. Type that first letter of the contacts first name and start typing their last name and there they are.

But if you are very social with technology, and want to play the latest games with friends, and a good camera is important to you. And if you want vine, instagram, and a fully functional facebook app, you have to look hard at that GS2. Would you rather have a real keyboard or expandable storage?

I will say there are some quirks with webos here and there. If you take a lot of pictures they will sometimes get out of order. I had to use internalz here and there to mask the photo gallery from webos so it would rescan and reorder my pictures.

Best of luck choosing. Just get what works for you!

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II
    metro72 likes this.
    The plus side for the Galaxy S2 is that it got the upgrade to the new Android OS. The minus side is that it's Android.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    I like the Samsung Galaxy S4

Last edited by yoyow218; 06/21/2013 at 01:43 AM.
    Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSLloyd View Post
    Well people, I'm gonna replace my Pre 2. I realized I want a more powerful device, so know I cannot decide: Pre 3 or Samsung Galaxy S2? Here in Italy they cost respectively around 150 and 230 euros. We all know webOS is "dead", while Android will go on with further developments for a long time. I love webOS, but I'm scared by this situation. Which one should I buy? Please give me valid reasons, I don't need useless comments like "Just buy the Galaxy, it's better" or "webOS forever!!!".
    IMO, the HP Pre 3 is a significant step up from the Palm Pre 2. Having said that, recent smartphones IMO are a significant step up from the Pre 3. Nonetheless, whatever you do, IMO you DON'T WANT TO BUY ANDROID. I've owned three Android devices, including two that have had Android 4.x (and one of those devices is a "pure" Android device). Though Android 4.x is a major improvement on Android 2.x, IMO it still has annoying performance issues that make it a lot less enjoyable to use than iOS or WP7 OS (don't have a WP8 device yet), and also less enjoyable to use than the HP Pre 3.

If you do want to go with a non-webOS device, I'd recommend a Windows Phone or an iPhone. (I haven't used a Blackberry 10 OS device yet so I can't comment one way or the other on the new Blackberry devices.)

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303
    Samsung Galaxy S2 is almost certainly at the end of its update lifespan. It started on Gingerbread, got ICS and lately Jelly Bean. The flag part of flagship has long sice moved to the S3 and now resides with the S4. I would expect the same amount of updates to S2 as Pre 3 at this point. None.

As for what you get with an S2: it's a lower version of Jelly Bean then current. 4.1.2 versus 4.2.2 that is out now for Nexus phones and newer models. It lacks a lot of Matias Duarte's influences that have started to come to the forefront and the TouchWiz skin is, IMHO, almost unbearable...
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 06/19/2013 at 09:59 AM.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Remy X likes this.
    On a side track, how I wished HP had also passed all the design documents on the Pre 3 to LG to allow them to 'update' the design using the same formfactor and release a Pre 3 plus....processor bump, screen resolution bump, improved battery and LTE. but right now it's a pie in the sky. It can run the 2.x and I'd still be happy.
    Pick Pre3, because there will probably be no more new WebOS phones, and this is your last chance to enjoy a WebOS phone, you might regret it if you didn't. In contrast, there will still be plenty of similar Android phones in the foreseeing future, and you can switch to Android any time you want.
  14.    #14  
    Which CPU is better, the 1.4 GHz single core in the Pre 3 or the 1.2 GHz dual core in the Galaxy S2?
    Which CPU is better, the 1.4 GHz single core in the Pre 3 or the 1.2 GHz dual core in the Galaxy S2?
    Personally, I wouldn't be picking my phone on CPU alone. Figure out which phone will suit your needs best, which phone as the apps you want/need.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Only specifications is not enough to give idea about some device, if is really good or not...

I have a GNote II and my Pre³ is better to I use in all day...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't be picking my phone on CPU alone. Figure out which phone will suit your needs best, which phone as the apps you want/need.
    This.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    'course, but I'm starting comparing their hardware.
  19.    #19  
    Mmh, sorry, wrong thread. Useless reply.
    Mmh, sorry, wrong thread. Useless reply.
    Then compare things that are actually important to you. Things like internal memory, whether or not the ability to add extra storage with a micro SD card is available, if you prefer to type on a physical keyboard or if a touch screen will work, the camera., whether 4G or LTE is important etc. There are too many variables in play to simply compare on CPU/RAM alone.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast