Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  1.    #1  
    My Pre 3 although almost fully charged stopped working. Happened 2 weeks earlier and on removing plus replacing battery it worked fine. This time nothing. Was working at 4.30Am but alarme did not go off at 6.00 and found it was gone dead. On connceting to laptop it shows a drive asks to insert disc. Cannot find any address anywhere to send it for repair. HELP!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemhealy View Post
    My Pre 3 although almost fully charged stopped working. Happened 2 weeks earlier and on removing plus replacing battery it worked fine. This time nothing. Was working at 4.30Am but alarme did not go off at 6.00 and found it was gone dead. On connceting to laptop it shows a drive asks to insert disc. Cannot find any address anywhere to send it for repair. HELP!!
    there's no address to send it for help as far as i know. it's an unsupported phone.

try this:

go to your webOS login site and download the doctor for your phone:
    https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...oginPage.iface

to run the doctor with a dead phone,
    1. open the Dr. app on your computer. it checks your system to see if you have novacom.
    2. remove the battery
    3. plug the USB cord into the phone (not the computer yet)
    4. hold the volume UP button, then insert the USB cord into the computer. that should light up the battery with question mark icon. then replace the battery and the big USB symbol should light up.

at this point the computer should recognize a new device and install novacom drivers. if not, you may need to download novacom again.

even if the phone doesn't light up, you should be able to initiate the doctor app on your computer.

if it doesn't, then come back and report what happened and we'll go from there.

don't panic! hopefully we can save it. if you want to install a version earlier than 2.2.4, which is available at the webOS internals list of doctors, google search that and find your phone in the list.

good luck!
    Remy X likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    there's no address to send it for help as far as i know. it's an unsupported phone.

try this:

1. open the Dr. app on your computer. it checks your system to see if you have novacom.
    2. remove the battery
    4. hold the volume UP button, then insert the USB cord into the computer. that should light up the battery with question mark icon. then replace the battery and the big USB symbol should light up.

at this point the computer should recognize a new device and install novacom drivers. if not, you may need to download novacom again.

even if the phone doesn't light up, you should be able to initiate the doctor app on your computer.

don't panic! hopefully we can save it. if you want to install a version earlier than 2.2.4, which is available at the webOS internals list of doctors, google search that and find your phone in the list.

good luck!
    Thanks for responding. I followed your instructions but nothing happened. The device is completely blank and not being detected. Wondering if it is a battery issue. I had ruled this out as I thought the device should run from the PC without a battery but this may not be the case. When i connect device to charger or to PC with battery in place, there is a very faint blue backlight on the screen and if left connected it gets rather hot. This backlight is only visible in teh dark. Is there any way of checking if the battery is the problem without going to expense of ordereing a replacement? Thank you for helping.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post

try this:

2. remove the battery

good luck!
    Hi TJ, Thanks for your response. I tried as you described with no success. I Left battery discharge fully and tried it again with charger connected. It seemed to start up OK - the HP symbol lights up for good few seconds then blinks twice and instead of starting up it goes dead with a very faint backlight. It does not respond further. If charger left in place it heats up. Got a new battery but it has not made any difference. Any other ideas?
    Mine died the same way, never was able to fix it....
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Hi TJ, Thanks for your response. I tried as you described with no success. I Left battery discharge fully and tried it again with charger connected. It seemed to start up OK - the HP symbol lights up for good few seconds then blinks twice and instead of starting up it goes dead with a very faint backlight. It does not respond further. If charger left in place it heats up. Got a new battery but it has not made any difference. Any other ideas?
    If can still see backlight. It seems screen problem and screen cable problem....I fixed a "dead" pre 3 like this. Just clean the screen cable with the chemical cleaner. Re-connect again and can work again.....
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by lemanho View Post
    If can still see backlight. It seems screen problem and screen cable problem....I fixed a "dead" pre 3 like this. Just clean the screen cable with the chemical cleaner. Re-connect again and can work again.....
    I think you are probably correct. Tried the phone again yetserday and it continued to actually boot up and download emails. However the screen was unprediciable and sometimes not responsiove. After half an hour it expired again. How can you get access to the screen cable to clean it as you mentioned?
    I have bought another new Pre 3 as i am a Palm fan ever since the Palm Pilot almost 20 years ago!
    Can you download the backed up data from Webos Account to a new Pre 3 phone?
    Your help is appreciated.
    I think you are probably correct. Tried the phone again yetserday and it continued to actually boot up and download emails. However the screen was unprediciable and sometimes not responsiove. After half an hour it expired again. How can you get access to the screen cable to clean it as you mentioned?
    I have bought another new Pre 3 as i am a Palm fan ever since the Palm Pilot almost 20 years ago!
    Can you download the backed up data from Webos Account to a new Pre 3 phone?
    Your help is appreciated.
    There a Pre3 teardown guide on Flickr, posted by Rod Whitby. Just follow it, and eventually you'll get to the cable... Just remember to ground yourself, ESD can fry the board in a split second

Your Palm Profile holds contacts, notes, email accounts, calendar and purchased apps. Call logs, browser history and other app data has to be backed up manually. If you log in to your Profile on the second Pre, the first one will auto-erase itself and all your data will be gone, for the exception of what your profile holds
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    There a Pre3 teardown guide on Flickr, posted by Rod Whitby. Just follow it, and eventually you'll get to the cable... Just remember to ground yourself, ESD can fry the board in a split second

Your Palm Profile holds contacts, notes, email accounts, calendar and purchased apps. Call logs, browser history and other app data has to be backed up manually. If you log in to your Profile on the second Pre, the first one will auto-erase itself and all your data will be gone, for the exception of what your profile holds
    Following advice from LEMANHO and REMY X, I studied Rod Whitbys pages and the IFIXIT breakdown video and ordered a Torx 5 screwdriver to begin the repair operation. Parked the problematic phone for a few weeks and worked on setting up the new phone as I awaited the screwdriver! - back to this later

In setting up the new phone i have run into problems with the App Catalog and have read hundreds of posts about it. I have ran the doctor without resolution. This is what is happening:
    1. When the phone boots after downloading my previous profile i immediately set the date back to July 13th.
    2.In Software Manager I tap on App Catalog and get a note that Install failed
    3. Tap on Install Failed and then tap Try Again
    4. Message appears " The App Catalog Update cannot be installed and current version is unusable. Please restore the original version"
    5. Tap on restore original version and it completes.
    6. A box immediately appears saying Update available and I click on it
    7 The update downloads and installs. It is Vn 2.1.10000 which I believe is the recent update
    8. Tap to launch and it stops after FB logo appears and wheel keeps turning!
    9 That's the situation and I have reset and doctored etc but same result. I suspect the problem is with something in my previous profile or maybe I am doing something out of sequence. Everything else is working perfectly but no access to App Catalog which is essential.

Any ideas on how this can be resolved?

I am sure if a new profile is set up it will be possible to get the App Catalog functioning. The only data on the old profile that's absolutely needed are the MEMOS and SMS Messages. Is there any way of extracting these from the old profile other than individually emailing them?

Anyway the Torx 5 screwdriver arrived in the meantime and I dug out the old phone. Lo and behold - it was working perfectly and still is - a complete mystery! I suspect it has something to do with debris between the sliding parts which may have dislodged - based on LEMANHOS comments.

Proceeded to set up a Web OS account but a new account was necessary. This is working fine now including the App Catalog (Vn 2.1.10000)

2 phones are needed so still trying to get the new one functioning with the App Catalog

Thanks in advance! http://cdn-forums.webosnation.com/im...lies/smile.gif
    If you log in to your Profile on the second Pre, the first one will auto-erase itself and all your data will be gone, for the exception of what your profile holds
    That's true, unless you follow this procedure to prevent the device wipe.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Rem X, how can i email you a direct question?
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

REMY X,

have you take a Pre3 apart? i have two broken Pre 3 and i have information on them I cannot live without.

one of my Pre3's has a battery with a "?" symbol. from what i have read it means the something is corrupt in the phone.

i am confident the phone is corrupt and not the battery, because i have swapped the battery and get the same "?" when i plug in the charger or the USB to my computer.

i have baby pictures and memo notes i desperately needed.

do you know how to fix a Pre3 with a "?" issue?

thank you,

King
    Hi kingtxag

Sorry i've been away all day....

To more or less answer your question, it's not unusual to see the charging circuit malfunction or die on the Pre3. You may be lucky and get full functionality back if it's just a component knocked loose, considering the Pre+/-/2 gives the same [?] error when the comm board is not properly connected.

That said, the Pre3 was redesigned from the ground up, so i have no idea if its bootloader also gives a battery error for non-battery conditions. You can take it apart and put it back together, taking care to properly reconnect everything. It might help, or not...

What i'll do now, is go back and take a look at the Pre3 teardown, if anything helpful can be gleaned from that. I'll be back.

Edit: ....here's the "teardown" Pre 3 Disassembly - a set on Flickr

I really hope that what you're experiencing is just a connection issue... in any case, your Memos are safe on the HP server, and files on the "USB" partition are not encrypted, so even in the absolute worst case, they can be recovered from the flash/SSD chip.
    Last edited by Remy X; 08/22/2013 at 04:27 AM.