Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bradmeister1
  • 1 Post By bradmeister1
  1.    #1  
    I have not been able to get google music to play on my Pre3. I've search the forum and found a user who said it worked but no info on how. Google music hangs when loading the music library. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Google keeps changing stuff, so chances are they broke whatever used to work.

But... tell us, do you have the patch that set the browser's UserAgent to "Chrome"? Because that could definitely break it.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Google keeps changing stuff, so chances are they broke whatever used to work.

But... tell us, do you have the patch that set the browser's UserAgent to "Chrome"? Because that could definitely break it.
    No I don't have the chrome user agent patch. It used to load but the app wouldn't play.
    Quote Originally Posted by happygirl323 View Post
    I have not been able to get google music to play on my Pre3. I've search the forum and found a user who said it worked but no info on how. Google music hangs when loading the music library. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Never used music.google.com before, but I just tried it out on my AT&T Pre 3 w/ 2.2.4. While it is extremely buggy, I was able to get it to play a song that I uploaded. I received a few random flash errors while trying to play the song, but page refreshes and persistence allowed the song to play for me...

Didn't have an issue with the "loading the music library" phase, but it did seem to take a while. Do you have a particularly large music library? (I only tested with one song in my library...) Any noteworthy patches installed?

One workaround, that you might try...if Google music is an extremely important feature for you: Permanently changing the user-agent string, so that the Pre 3 identifies itself as an iPhone and subsequently you will be able to use the "iphone" version of the Google music site. I just tested this myself, and the Ifone version of Google Music works magnificently on the Pre 3.

Take a look at this thread for details on the procedure:
    iPhone User Agent Spoof - How to make all mobile websites display perfectly

And this post has an updated Pre 3 script attached:
    iPhone User Agent Spoof - How to make all mobile websites display perfectly

Note: this change is semi-permanent. (It requires a shell command and a reboot, each time you want to change it or revert back to the standard agent.) It will likely impact your browsing experience on other sites. (YouTube would be negatively effected, for example. Other sites may be improved.)

We could also try lobbying google to include webOS user-agent strings when determining whether to load the iphone or desktop version of the site....though I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Last edited by bradmeister1; 06/11/2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: typo...
    Remy X likes this.
  5.    #5  
    thanks bradmeister. I'll check out the iphone spoof. I do have almost 9000 songs in my library so that could be part of the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by happygirl323 View Post
    thanks bradmeister. I'll check out the iphone spoof. I do have almost 9000 songs in my library so that could be part of the issue.
    Yep, your growing library may have something to do with the hang up on the desktop version, but even if you got it to load, it was still pretty miserable to use.

Also, I may have spoken too soon on the iphone spoofing... I found a few dissenting viewpoints, in the thread, which make me think that my "one song library test" may have skewed the results of my iphone spoofing.

Although, I found the same errors on a few iphone forums, during the same time period as these posts, so Google may have sorted this out on their end:

Quote Originally Posted by summatusmentis View Post
    Did you ever figure this out? I'm waiting on this patch being functional on 2.2.4, and then I want to try Google Music (this is the primary reason I want to spoof to iPhone).

EDIT: tried the ua spoof on a 2.1.2 veer, am able to get the mobile version of Google Music, but I get told there's not enough space to download the music library (which means that webOS doesn't allow offline storage big enough for Google Music).
    Quote Originally Posted by summatusmentis View Post
    This worked for me on 2.2.4, but I now get a "database error: Error: SECURITY_ERR: DOM Exception 18" when I try to use Google Music. I recognize this is off topic for this thread, just reporting back.
    I'll try to upload some more music to see if I can break either configuration and let you know what I find.
    Remy X likes this.
  7.    #7  
    Cool, thanks. I have a subsonic app which works most of the time. I was hoping to have a back up music player which is where google comes in. I really appreciate your help with this.