Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ananimus
  • 2 Post By wcrandall
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Hey Everyone,
    I am currently using a Blackberry Z10. I am an original Palm Pre user and I just loved that phone. I really do miss having a physical keyboard and right now my only other choice is the Blackberry Q10. I see Amazon is sell the Pre 3 and I am thinking about picking one up. Has anyone here compared the Blackberry Z10 to the Pre 3? Now I know its an older device but I don't think its a slouch either. I'm not big on apps I just need a phone that works and can communicate well, I get alot of email, do alot of texting, some facebook and browsing. How reliable is the Pre 3 being a couple of years old? I guess I'm just looking for some honest opinions and comparisons. Thanks a ton for your help!
    Hi,
    I just upgraded from a Palm Pre to a Pre 3, connected to Bell. I used the Pre for 3 years, and I really liked it; however, the keyboard was becoming a bit unresponsive, and wanted something faster. I was very tempted to jump to a Z10, due to the, somehow, similar OS, but the Touchstone charger, the fluidity and usability of webOS, and all my well-dependent apps, made me purchase an unlocked Pre 3 on eBay. I can't be happier, and look forward for many years of using this fantastic OS.
    Hello!

I own a Pre 3 and honestly, it isn't a bad phone compared to a new Blackberry Z10. Here is a little run down of the things I noticed between the two: (similarities and differences)

Software:
    the softwares don't go far from each other. They have the similar "cards" feature for easy multi-tasking and gestures for navigation. The big difference-maker is the OS. BB10 is far more superior than WebOS in terms of apps and features but that doesn't mean that WebOS is inferior. Saying that you don't really need that much apps, this might not bother you at all. Sure, BB10 has BBM and all the other popular apps available but that is just one of the few things the Z10 has an advantage over the Pre 3

Hardware:
    A big difference here. A slate phone vs a slider. If screen size bothers you, you won't be bothered by these two as their screens are good enough for the hardware they show off. The Z10's design is a common one, a rectangle slab of metal. The Pre 3 has a bulkier build and offers a slide-out physical keyboard, which I see you love. We will get more into that later. Everything in this category seems tied for me, well except the fact that the Z10 has newer chips and processors than the Pre 3 but that can be altered later on.

Keyboard:
    The major bit, for me. Virtual vs Physical. Personally, I like the physical feel, but it may be no match to the Z10's near-perfect keyboard. The Pre 3's keyboard, just like mine, can get unresponsive and may have a few defects here and there saying that you're a heavy texter. I have the case of the "double letter problem" in my keyboard. The Z10 has an awesome way of inputting predictive text (a slide up from the starting letter) and its clean look never fails the eyes. This part is very opinion based, if you couldn't tell.

Reliability:
    I don't know about the Z10 but my Pre 3 has been with me for a long time and it has been good to me so far. Excluding the minor bugs like the keyboard and some software issues, this phone is very stable and fast.

Customizing/Personalization:
    Homebrew on the Pre 3 is very very very fun. Patches, Internals, Themes, etc. You name it, develop it, then apply and install it. Very customizable to your own liking and feel and it is very cool indeed. As for the Z10, apps can do their job as the marketplace continues to expand as Blackberry continues to grow. In my honest opinion, customization on the Pre 3 is better here.

If I were to put scores in these categories and create a little fight between the two... :

Software: BB10 for it being modern, updated and "in-time"
    Hardware: Pre 3 for it having a solid and sturdy body which doesn't break when it falls
    Keyboard: Pre 3 for it having a physical one
    Customization: Pre 3 for awesome homebrew stuff

Overall Winner and the phone you should get asap imho: HP Pre 3

P.S. If it was the Pre 3 and the Q10 that I was comparing and I was a new user to both, I would definitely choose the Q10.

I wish you well in your very hard decision and I hope I helped in one way or another!

Cheers!
    I can't be happier, and look forward for many years of using this fantastic OS.
    This words say all!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Another question. I use microsoft outlook for work and outlook.com for my personal email. Will the pre 3 be able to sync to both of these accounts along with their respective calenders?
    thanks
    Last edited by wcrandall; 06/05/2013 at 01:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wcrandall View Post
    Another question. I use microsoft outlook for work and outlook.com for my personal email. Will the pre 3 be able to sync to both of these accounts along with their respective calenders?
    thanks
    while it's not a preset, i believe you will be able to do that by setting up a new Exchange ActiveSync account

I know that m.hotmail.com (as the server) should still work, since Outlook.com still has Hotmail underpinnings
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    thanks
    You can use a Microsoft Exchange account for work if available. It syncs everything into Synergy (email, contacts, lookups, calendar). As mentioned, the outlook.com email should be fine too.

The exchange integration to Synergy is one of the reasons I'm still loving webOS! "Just Type" contact lookups, and lookups from the email "to" line if you don't have it saved to your own contacts.
    Rnp likes this.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Thanks guys,you gave me the answers I was looking for. I use a Microsoft exchange email for work, and the outlook.com for personal which I suppose can be set up as hotmail, which is how its done on my ipad. Looking forward to being back here in a few days. Thanks again
    Rnp and ananimus like this.
    Also if it helps, I believe you want to set up Exhange from "Accounts," not "Email." Accounts gives the options for all the other Exchange goodies. Email didn't (if I recall correctly) and only set up the email account. (Maybe that was Android...? Meh, whatever you'll figure it out!)
    thanks
    I have three separate Exchange accounts set up on my Pre 3 and TP and all sync perfectly with Outlook on my PC.

EDIT: Except for Notes - for that I use TapNote which still works fine with Dropbox.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    hey Guys,
    Received my Pre 3 today so far everything is going well. The only thing I can't figure out is how to get my personal outlook.com calendar and contacts to sync? Is there anything I am missing? I looked in "accounts" and there is nothing there about calendars or contacts for that account. The mail is working fine. Thanks
    hey Guys,
    Received my Pre 3 today so far everything is going well. The only thing I can't figure out is how to get my personal outlook.com calendar and contacts to sync? Is there anything I am missing? I looked in "accounts" and there is nothing there about calendars or contacts for that account. The mail is working fine. Thanks
    I think Synergy requires an Exchange Server. If you are using outlook as a separate PIM, I think you'd need to hook into something like Google contacts.
    I own both, and the biggest thing for me was how much better the browser is in BB10. It's not really fair because obviously webos is a couple years without updates. Sometimes I wish I could mash the two together but for the time being I'm 100% on the Z10. Got a solid podcast catcher on here, a decent twitter app, and I find the bluetooth & wifi to be much more stable om the Z10 than I ever had on my Pre3. I was constantly having to cycle BT off and on to stay connected especially when going from phone calls to audio.

Good luck! And keep that Z handy... 10.2 is coming by the end of the year and that will bring an updated android runtime with 4.2.2 compatibility.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html